Does this Purple Tang look to have disease?

RollTideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need some help from you all. I have had all the fish in my tank for over 45 days now. I have had the purple tang in question for about three months. This week I had a torch coral randomly die on me, I noticed a dead turbo this morning, and now I noticed some white coloring or discoloration on my purple tang. I may be paranoid but it is like a discoloration around his eye and then forms a line up his back and towards his dorsal fin. I have attached a video. Though after seeing pictures online he doesn't look to have ich. Keep watching through the video to get multiple looks. I appreciate the help.

Last edited:

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like HLLE (Head and Lateral Line Erosion) it's a sign of subpar nutrition. Some tangs get it and others don't. In my opinion it's nothing to worry about, as it's not going to kill them. It's does make them look unhealthy and unsightly, but if you are okay with it that's all that matters. I have 4 different kinds of tangs and only one of them has this, I actually purchased him and he already had it.

Some things to try:
-Remove carbon from the system if you are using it.
-Feed nutritious foods
-Keep up on tank husbandry

It may go away with time, it may not. If you want to see what mine looks like, I can post a pic of him. He's as healthy and active as can be, just has a bit of "scarring".

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is in part due to diet and vitamin deficiency. Good water quality will be helpful, and feed at minimum:

Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
Mysis shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 fozen and flake
Small Plankton
Spirulina brine shrimp

Add garlic extract to foods 2X per week and selcon vitamin 2-3X per week.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back