Does this Xenia need more flow

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

I just added this Xenia frag a couple days ago. It has al.ost doubled in height but it's feathers (is that what the tips are called) are a little closed. Sometimes some of them open fully.

I only had the stock pump prior to adding this frag. Now there is a Sicce Voyager Nano 1000 powerhead on one side of the tank. Currently the powerhead is pointing horizontal higher up. Should I point it down and/or should I add a second pump to the other side. You can see the powerhead and Xenia (right below the powerhead) in the FTS. I have been moving the Xenia around but it hasn't made much difference. Maybe it also needs more light? Lominie Pixie 30

Cespitularia/Xenia Coral

Edit: Added the video.

20211210_195023_compress39.jpg

Last edited:

PP123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

Flows seems fine from what i can see... it's an easy coral to keep so just leave it for a while and it will settle in..

Most people worry more about it taking over all the rock work in the tank.. eventually you'll need to frag it back but that's pretty simple.

It's a nice coral to start with and adds movement and will use up any extra nutrients in the water..

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

Flows seems fine from what i can see... it's an easy coral to keep so just leave it for a while and it will settle in..

Most people worry more about it taking over all the rock work in the tank.. eventually you'll need to frag it back but that's pretty simple.

It's a nice coral to start with and adds movement and will use up any extra nutrients in the water..
Thanks so much! I was absolutely debating getting this coral because I read about its invasiveness but supposedly this type grows slowly although that remains to be seen. Haha. It's such a pretty coral. Too bad it gets so crazy! I might have buyer's remorse in the not too distant future. LOL. I'm impressed with how much taller it has gotten. It was just a little button when I bought it however the guy at my LFS said it should be taller. He told me he just moved it so it was ticked off. I was so happy to see it seemingly get back to the height he said it should by the next day but I wasn't sure if its tips weren't happy. They look a little scrunched. Admittedly I keep moving it so I will leave it alone to see how it responds. :)

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia doesn't mind getting blown around in high flow environments. It does, in fact, seem to appreciate that, even though you won't get to see the polyps pulse under really high flow.

It's slightly less invasive than something like a Kenya Tree, but only by a matter of a degree or so. I bought one small Frag last March, and then moved that around to two other builds, where it quickly established new colonies on surrounding rocks. It's also one of the few corals that thrive in a high-nutrient environment which will quickly kill SPS, and that's why it can run rampant in new tanks. It is a lovely coral, though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia doesn't mind getting blown around in high flow environments. It does, in fact, seem to appreciate that, even though you won't get to see the polyps pulse under really high flow.

It's slightly less invasive than something like a Kenya Tree, but only by a matter of a degree or so. I bought one small Frag last March, and then moved that around to two other builds, where it quickly established new colonies on surrounding rocks. It's also one of the few corals that thrive in a high-nutrient environment which will quickly kill SPS, and that's why it can run rampant in new tanks. It is a lovely coral, though.
Thanks for this! :) I'm staring at the frag with conflicting emotions... half of me wants it to thrive and half of me wants it to perish. LOL. I'm wondering if I should pull it out. I wish it could survive low brackish water. I would love to throw it in that tank! :) I'm a bit worried this pump might not have enough power. I've been moving the head around but I'm not getting much action from it. I might have to upgrade to the Sicce 2000.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! :) I'm staring at the frag with conflicting emotions... half of me wants it to thrive and half of me wants it to perish. LOL. I'm wondering if I should pull it out. I wish it could survive low brackish water. I would love to throw it in that tank! :) I'm a bit worried this pump might not have enough power. I've been moving the head around but I'm not getting much action from it. I might have to upgrade to the Sicce 2000.
You've heard the expression that xenia likes "dirty" tanks, and that's certainly true in my experience: it does well in environments with high nitrates and phosphates where SPS struggles to thrive. Perhaps your nutrients are too low.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've heard the expression that xenia likes "dirty" tanks, and that's certainly true in my experience: it does well in environments with high nitrates and phosphates where SPS struggles to thrive. Perhaps your nutrients are too low.
It's possible. I have to retest because I did a big water change before adding this. I will check on that.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With mine, high flow is fine, low flow is fine, but virtually no flow is not good. If it is moving at all from the flow, it should be fine. Xenia uses the pulsing to move water around the tips (no need to go into the details of why unless you really want me to) moving "fresh" water around the polyps. No flow means the old water just hovers around the xenia and no "fresh" water is there at all after a while.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With mine, high flow is fine, low flow is fine, but virtually no flow is not good. If it is moving at all from the flow, it should be fine. Xenia uses the pulsing to move water around the tips (no need to go into the details of why unless you really want me to) moving "fresh" water around the polyps. No flow means the old water just hovers around the xenia and no "fresh" water is there at all after a while.
Thanks so much! This is good to know. I have movement (just a gentle swaying) so hopefully it's enough. I will keep an eye on it. Feel free to post details on how these guys move water around. I love learning new info. :)

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Xenia will live and thrive in any flow. It honestly can’t be killed. I need to pull and toss.
It’s invasive for me at this point.
I even found some growing in my refugium.
If conditions are good, Xenia does not care about flow.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care what anyone says I love xenias in the aquarium. Super cool lil' guy, it's a shame they got such a bad rap!
I agree, they are so beautiful! I love watching my little frag. I need to find a way to balance the nutrients. Keep nutrients good so the xenia is healthy but not so good that it becomes invasive. LOL

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, they are so beautiful! I love watching my little frag. I need to find a way to balance the nutrients. Keep nutrients good so the xenia is healthy but not so good that it becomes invasive. LOL
Don't listen to xenia haters. It never spreads.

1639249061765.png

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%

Back