Does velvet also make the fish breathe heavily?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is perfect.. My third oldest fish is showing signs of velvet, my LFS doesn’t open till Wednesday, and the tang is stressed out from me trying to get it into the net to give it a FW dip
I got that wrong- the tang was around before my clownfish, so the tang is actually my second oldest fish (the oldest being my Foxface)

I think the ich was laying dormant in my tank, waiting for my tang to get stressed enough for it to start spreading since the other fish came in showing no signs of any illness at all, even my newest Lubbock that went in a week ago still hasn’t got anything even close to signs of Ich/velvet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does velvet also make the fish breathe heavily?
My tang got something that looks like velvet but also ich, I can’t tell what it is but he has begun to breathe heavily.. I don’t want to lose a tang I’ve grown from 1” to 2.5” and owned for 20 months

Typically, Amyloodinium (Velvet) has an initial symptom of rapid breathing, and not feeding. It is only as the disease advances that you will see fine spots. Cryptocaryon (ich) on the other hand starts with larger white spots. The fish will still feed, and not be seen to breath much faster than normal. As ich progresses, the spots become less distinct, but far more numerous, and the breathing rate increases and then the fish stops feeding. It is at this point where many people confuse the two diseases. There are some pictures posted in the sticky section here that say they are velvet, but are more likely ich. I need to fix those when I get a spare moment. A skin scrape under a microscope is the best well to ID the two diseases.

Time from start to death in velvet can be as short as 72 hours, while fish with ich can hang on for a week or even longer.

Both can be treated with copper (in a treatment tank of course). Ich can be treated with hyposalinity, velvet cannot be. Both can be treated with chloroquine, but that is tough to get right now.

Jay

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, Amyloodinium (Velvet) has an initial symptom of rapid breathing, and not feeding. It is only as the disease advances that you will see fine spots. Cryptocaryon (ich) on the other hand starts with larger white spots. The fish will still feed, and not be seen to breath much faster than normal. As ich progresses, the spots become less distinct, but far more numerous, and the breathing rate increases and then the fish stops feeding. It is at this point where many people confuse the two diseases. There are some pictures posted in the sticky section here that say they are velvet, but are more likely ich. I need to fix those when I get a spare moment. A skin scrape under a microscope is the best well to ID the two diseases.

Time from start to death in velvet can be as short as 72 hours, while fish with ich can hang on for a week or even longer.

Both can be treated with copper (in a treatment tank of course). Ich can be treated with hyposalinity, velvet cannot be. Both can be treated with chloroquine, but that is tough to get right now.

Jay
Thanks, I just have the issue of trying to get hold of copper since my LFS is closed and if it was to be velvet the fish is most likely dead by the time I was to get hold of copper, hopefully it won’t be and the LFS has something to treat it with (I won’t be happy if they don’t since the tang has been with me for over a year now)

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What you can do during that time is remove the fish to a holding tank to an area where you will be dosing with meds, a freshwater dip will provide relief for the time being and then you can plan your course of action.

If it’s anything but ich on them they will get relief to survive until you decide how you want to proceed

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you can do during that time is remove the fish to a holding tank to an area where you will be dosing with meds, a freshwater dip will provide relief for the time being and then you can plan your course of action.

If it’s anything but ich on them they will get relief to survive until you decide how you want to proceed
Okay, I’ll try to get him into a dip tomorrow since he’s gone to sleep now.. I really hope I can help him through it though since he’s a nice tang

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update:

The tang was out and swimming just now (Lights are off) but he then dove into the cave, maybe from the light but he won’t come out
From what I’ve read if he is light sensitive then it’s a lot worse than Ich and it’s velvet..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update:

The tang was out and swimming just now (Lights are off) but he then dove into the cave, maybe from the light but he won’t come out
From what I’ve read if he is light sensitive then it’s a lot worse than Ich and it’s velvet..
Light sensitivity isn’t a reliable symptom for velvet….sometimes fish are just shy and light averse. I think some of this stem from the mistaken belief that Amyloodinium is photosynthetic - it is not, it lacks chloroplasts. Freshwater velvet is a different species and IS photosynthetic.
Rapid breathing, more than 100 gill beats per minute is the symptom to watch for.
Jay

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light sensitivity isn’t a reliable symptom for velvet….sometimes fish are just shy and light averse. I think some of this stem from the mistaken belief that Amyloodinium is photosynthetic - it is not, it lacks chloroplasts. Freshwater velvet is a different species and IS photosynthetic.
Rapid breathing, more than 100 gill beats per minute is the symptom to watch for.
Jay
Okay, however.. there’s a new issue, it’s gone to the Jade wrasse I have (H. chloropterus) but the tang is showing nothing except the odd twitch when swimming (and also when turning round he keeps Shaking from left to right)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, however.. there’s a new issue, it’s gone to the Jade wrasse I have (H. chloropterus) but the tang is showing nothing except the odd twitch when swimming (and also when turning round he keeps Shaking from left to right)
Is the tang still breathing fast?
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much anymore
Well, I’m stumped then. Few things will cause rapid breathing in fish, but then go away without treatment - stress is one. The other is low oxygen or high carbon dioxide. Gill diseases: velvet, flukes or bacteria typically proceed on to death if not treated in some fashion.
Jay

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, the spots on the Jade have vanished and she’s showing no abnormal signs?
The tang is acting almost completely normal again, theres just the odd tail twitch

Back