Does your family/friends approve of this hobby?

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, before I say anything else.. us reefers are stubborn in our ways and will do what we want. We will have tanks no matter what, and we will find a way to fit them into the house too..

Now the question is do your friends and family approve of this hobby? Do they support you in your crazy endeavors? Or do they tell you ALL STOP whenever you start getting the itch for the next coral or tank you want? I love hearing stories of supporting families/friends so lets hear your experiences!

1618366579910.png

Come on share your stories! I know there are some good ones out there!

My wife supports me and my hobbies - keeps me from getting on her nerves I guess. My daughter is indifferent right now but I suspect at some point she will figure out that ornamental fish have an incredibly high mortality rate. Then I will never hear the end of it.

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Husband and I are doing it together. Haven't decided if the joint-tank will save our marriage or end it yet.... lol

Everyone else thinks we're nuts and don't understand. Sometimes for a brief moment while looking at a tank, I will get a "huh that's neat" but other than that.... nothing.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife absolutely supports the hobby. She also gets as frustrated as I do with GHA and dinos and all the other things that drive us to drink (it was a short trip for me :) ). She's sad when there's a fish loss and dissappointed when we lose a coral. She's also there to celebrate when for those brief periods of time, the tank looks great and thrives. She is also encourages me when I say things like "Hey, I think if we add an <insert whatever device/add on> that might make the difference", and says well then you should get one. In her view, being a reef junky is cheaper (at least so far) and more interesting than me being a motor head. She much prefers putzing around reef shops with me than being drug to car shows and races. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's much nicer for me if my spouse doesn't despise my hobby, particularly if it's an expensive one that requires decorating the living room around it.
This is exactly my home situation. Glad my family isn't alone.
Keep up the great reefing

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I walk in with a bag in my hand with a new fish.....im faced with this

The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

"I was planning on buying shoes
with that money, you idiot"

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its interesting that everyone who has a supportive spouse/SO refers to them as ‘MY spouse/SO’ and the ones that are unsupportive are referred to as ‘THE spouse/SO’. My GF (feels reductive to call her that, we’ve been together almost 20 years) is very supportive. She’s not into all the technical aspects of keeping a tank, but she pretends to be interested when I talk about whatever technical/chemistry issue I’m having. But she likes looking at and talking about the livestock, and she’s fascinated by microfauna. I don’t think a relationship can be healthy if your partner doesn’t support (even if indirectly) your hobbies or interests (and vice versa).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back