Dog face puffer eye flakes

Lovewindsor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sick Dog Face Puffer.
Got 1 week ago. ”(No QT tank.)
Happy and ate ghost shrimp, shrimp and mysis, pellet food on arrival.
Monday AM was lethargic. Curled up. Limited movement.
Developed this on eye today.
Tank 10 Months old.
Tank mates- Koran angel, 2 tomato clowns, powder blue tang, huma huma.
All tank peramiters on target— Salinity 1.026. Ammonia 0. Nitrites 0. Nitrates 10.
Tank change of 40% yesterday after a dose of Furan-2 b/c t he Koran angel had a white string poop. (No other symptoms was just worried...guess my instinct was correct.

thiughts in next step?

C122F47E-1451-469B-90B9-D2E67B75D7F7.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good chance they are flukes. Assure your water quality is good (see suggested below) and treat with PraziPro. Use 80% of the recommended dosage. You can if its' convenient , give it a freshwater bath to emit any flukes prior to treatment

• pH – 8.1-8.4
  • Temp – around 78.F
  • Nitrates – as close to zero as possible
  • Salinity – 35ppt or 1.024
  • ammonia - no higher than .3

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said no QT available? Makes it tough! My go-to initial treatment for puffers is a fresh water dip, then straight to copper.

Puffers should ship with a certificate guaranteeing parasites, because almost all of them do. I've used API General Cure in situations where there is no QT available for copper.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You said no QT available? Makes it tough! My go-to initial treatment for puffers is a fresh water dip, then straight to copper.

Puffers should ship with a certificate guaranteeing parasites, because almost all of them do. I've used API General Cure in situations where there is no QT available for copper.
Copper will have no effect on flukes. If it were ich, the koran and Blue tang mainly would have caught it by now. Its normal for their eyes to have pigment but this is past that.

OP
OP
Lovewindsor

Lovewindsor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now nothing on his eyelid! Maybe it was a flake from the batch of ghost shrimp?? Still not moving. Eyes are dark. Look possibly milky but hard to tell if it’s just dark?

OP
OP
Lovewindsor

Lovewindsor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper will have no effect on flukes. If it were ich, the koran and Blue tang mainly would have caught it by now. Its normal for their eyes to have pigment but this is past that.
No signs of flakes of any form on other fish. They are happy and eating. Also only saw the one stringy poo for the angel...not ever repeated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now nothing on his eyelid! Maybe it was a flake from the batch of ghost shrimp?? Still not moving. Eyes are dark. Look possibly milky but hard to tell if it’s just dark?
Can you possibly take a picture under white light? Even video under white light would help.

Thanks,

Jay

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I wasn't implying a specific diagnosis for this fish. I should be more clear. I was simply stating that my experience with puffers is such that I assume every incoming puffer has some type of parasite. When I fail to treat them accordingly, it turns out badly.

@Jay Hemdal is the one to properly diagnose this fish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back