Dogface Puffer, Picasso Trigger, BiColor Angel ........Safe with Anemones?????

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a FOWLR tank with a Dogface Puffer , Picasso Trigger, BiColor Angel and Sailfin Tang. I want to possibly add an anemones with a pair of clown fish. Tank is 110 gallons . My question is if this will be a headache or will work out? Anyone have experience with this???

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No direct experience, but likely a headache. Puffers can be chompers because they are curious and always hungry. I've found it difficult if not down right impossible to add anything new with a picasso trigger; that he would not investigate, taste, bite, flip over, move around, eat, etc.

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No direct experience, but likely a headache. Puffers can be chompers because they are curious and always hungry. I've found it difficult if not down right impossible to add anything new with a picasso trigger; that he would not investigate, taste, bite, flip over, move around, eat, etc.

I was afraid that would be the issue

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered doing this in my big fish tank. The main concern I had was getting the clown fish established along with the anemone before introducing them to the rest of the fish. If you use egg crate as a temporary divider you could introduce the anemone and the clown fish into the tank and give them a week or two to establish before allowing all the fish into that area. As you have a more aggressive tank I would match the anemone with aggressive clown fish that will defend it. Maroons (gold stripes are a personal favorite), tomato, clarki. An alternative method of introduction would be to establish the anemone(With the anemone attached to a small rock) and clown fish together in another tank or at an LFS. Then move the anemone and clown fish in together. I think it could still be a toss up but clown fish will fiercely defend an anemone once that make it their home. Most fish will avoid anemones as they can kill many fish but as stated triggers and puffers might try to take a taste which is why clown fish need to be established with the anemone on introduction.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered doing this in my big fish tank. The main concern I had was getting the clown fish established along with the anemone before introducing them to the rest of the fish. If you use egg crate as a temporary divider you could introduce the anemone and the clown fish into the tank and give them a week or two to establish before allowing all the fish into that area. As you have a more aggressive tank I would match the anemone with aggressive clown fish that will defend it. Maroons (gold stripes are a personal favorite), tomato, clarki. An alternative method of introduction would be to establish the anemone(With the anemone attached to a small rock) and clown fish together in another tank or at an LFS. Then move the anemone and clown fish in together. I think it could still be a toss up but clown fish will fiercely defend an anemone once that make it their home. Most fish will avoid anemones as they can kill many fish but as stated triggers and puffers might try to take a taste which is why clown fish need to be established with the anemone on introduction.

Good points but the main point is tank size, I dont think that will work in a 110. At least a 180 maybe larger. Those larger clowns would defend the anenome and the mentioned fish would likely just move on, in a smaller tank could end up bloody

jim9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will work imo. I do also agree above that if you planned to add the clowns/anemone, make sure they host it before you introduce otherwise, its a headache.

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well , i am upgrading to a used 180 gallon tank i bought, so what i will do is establish the anemone and clowns in there before i add my other fish. That way the clowns and anemone take their spot first and the other fish can come after. what do you guys think.??

any ideas what type of anemone would match good with two aggressive clowns? such as Maroons, Tomatos, Calrki or RedSea clownfish?

jim9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well , i am upgrading to a used 180 gallon tank i bought, so what i will do is establish the anemone and clowns in there before i add my other fish. That way the clowns and anemone take their spot first and the other fish can come after. what do you guys think.??

any ideas what type of anemone would match good with two aggressive clowns? such as Maroons, Tomatos, Calrki or RedSea clownfish?

Bubble/Sebae Anemone works

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they don’t swim into the anemone there won’t be an issue, but it is possible eventually, happened to a friend with a trigger and a small grouper, around 6 months in with no issues. But all it takes is once, I would pass on the anemone.

Back