Dogface Puffer with Unidentified Bump on Side

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time no see everyone! Been super busy with life lately but that's for another thread.

Backstory: A friend of mine has a dogface puffer in a FOWLR tank with 2 other eels in it. One of the eels is a new addition and has been taking shots at the puffer. With that being said he has inflated and deflated a handful of times because of it. She called me frantically tonight worried about his health because of this large lump. After a brief search I believe its a pocket of air or water trapped that hasn't deflated. Told her I would so some digging and clarify. If this is indeed what it is, What's the best course of action to fix said problem. Here are a couple pictures taken 10min ago.

Thank you to everyone in advance,
Zack
image_123986672 (1).JPG
image_123986672.JPG

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like an air bubble. I would let it go. If the fish doesn't get rid of it on its own or can't maintain buoyancy you could agitate the fish while under water and have it sick in more water and hopefully release the air with that water.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Possible tumor. One who would know will answer in the early morning
@Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time no see everyone! Been super busy with life lately but that's for another thread.

Backstory: A friend of mine has a dogface puffer in a FOWLR tank with 2 other eels in it. One of the eels is a new addition and has been taking shots at the puffer. With that being said he has inflated and deflated a handful of times because of it. She called me frantically tonight worried about his health because of this large lump. After a brief search I believe its a pocket of air or water trapped that hasn't deflated. Told her I would so some digging and clarify. If this is indeed what it is, What's the best course of action to fix said problem. Here are a couple pictures taken 10min ago.

Thank you to everyone in advance,
Zack
image_123986672 (1).JPG
image_123986672.JPG

That does look like the fish swallowed air, and then, the air has migrated to the back. That may mean that the stomach lining ruptured. In that case, peritonitis will result and there isn't anything that can be done for it. It may also be that the entire stomach has just shifted to the left and then up, due to to pressure from the air.

It could be a tumor, but the way it is tugging against the skin, I don't think so. One test would be to catch the fish, (keeping it submerged!) and rotate it onto its back. If the lump shifts to the belly, then it it is air.

So - what to do? When puffers have air in their stomachs, turning them on their back and holding them slightly upright will sometimes allow them to "burp" it out. Given the location of this, that is unlikely to help. Needle/syringe aspiration is a possibility, but that really requires a steady hand and fish anesthesia..

Jay

BlackEyeDye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? My dogface got a very similar lump last night as well. It’s stressing me out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? My dogface got a very similar lump last night as well. It’s stressing me out.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

If you want to post some background information and pictures of your puffer we can take a look!

Jay

Back