Doing a water change and my whole batch of fresh salt water siphoned onto the floor

deanobliss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I have myself in a really weird predicament. I made 40 gallons of fresh RODI water mixed with salt water today for the water change I had planned. I've been having a big outbreak of bubble algae so I decided to siphon out as much of it as I could while doing my water change, which included popping many of them with a small airline tube while sucking it out. I pulled a massive amount out btw.

What I didn't realize was that I had my utility pump in my mixing bin and I moved the end of the hose on the ground causing it to siphon out onto the floor of my garage..

I do still have about 30 gallons of dirty bubble algae water, and about 10 gallons of fresh salt water left in the mixing bin. I also have 5 gallons of fresh RODI with no salt. Im super stressed thinking bout adding those bubble algae spores back in but I'm not sure what options I have. I have lots of expensive SPS in my tank, and using tap is out of the question. For RO I have a 75 gallon per day unit.

I'm thinking I add the 5 gallons of fresh RO and make about 15 gallons of salt, add that to the tank then add some of the dirty water change water to bring it back to level. Then overnight make another 40 gallons of fresh water and do another water change in the morning.

What do you all suggest? This is my first big mishap, and I want to make sure I don't make it any worse. Thank you for the help! :)

Back