Don’t be shellfish, what is your experience with clams?

What is your experience with clams?

• I am comfortable keeping clams in my aquarium

Votes: 133 31.4%
  • I have kept clams, but am not particularly confident with it

Votes: 96 22.7%
  • I would like to keep clams, but I haven’t tried it yet

Votes: 160 37.8%
  • Not interested. No clams for me

Votes: 34 8.0%

• Total voters

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tried it out couple months ago. I know they say small ones are tough. Got a darasa and max at a swap. The darasa kept trying to plant its foot and max never did. They both reacted well and closed up when shadowed and also ate well (phyto, roids ab) kept coming home to them knocked over. My hermits were always around them from the start to finish. One day I came home and something drug off the rock and down to a cave and was left empty shell
I have hermits and they Nvr bothered the clam. Say they were unhealthy and their demise triggered the diner bell

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I owned 3 maxima, hopefully able to keep them long term

Attachments

• IMG_0971[1].JPG
    IMG_0971[1].JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 40

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never have had luck with them.
Sps grow like mad, even when I ran ULN.
tried 4-5 over the years and they last a few months then shrivel and die..
No clue why

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for tagging us and kind words about our clams. We love them too and hope to bring more varieties to the hobby in the future. We actually just received our first 3 gigas ever produced at our Palau facility this past weekend which I'm very excited about.

Also with Maxima clams I've personally found them and squamosa to be among the most difficult to keep. Many sources of maxima clams tend to be on the sketchy and like mentioned above arrive pretty weak. Also I cannot state enough how helpful supplemental feeding is for them to have them grow quickly and keep awesome coloration. Light is very important but putting in some live phyto or paste every couple of days really keeps the growth consistent.
Nice. What are the patterns of the gigas you just got in?

Coby333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 10 clams since I've started the hobby. I only have 2 right now, a derasa and a squamosa. And I'm on edge about losing those 2. I have no idea why I keep losing them, but I'm determined to figure it out and have at least 1 of every species. I love clams. I've read on a few forums that reef roids may have something to do with their demise. Does anybody know if this is true?

Ricardo Miozzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be shellfish, what is your experience with clams?

Please share your experiences with clams. Did it work out? Was it painful failure for both you and the clam? When most people are talking about corals and fish, clams often don’t get the spotlight. This is the thread to talk about clams so please don’t be shellfish, please tell us about your experiences. Do you have any tips or tricks to share about keeping clams? Maybe you have some thoughts about keeping them healthy and helping them if they are not healthy. For many, keeping clams is somewhat foreign and an area that is unfamiliar so please consider coming out of your shell and helping us understand the world of clams! If you do feel like a foreigner to clams, what are your questions?

PacificEastMaxima.jpeg

Photo by @PacificEastAquaculture; https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clams.311659/
I keep clams and love them. Used to have them under metal halides Ushio 10K + VHO actinic blues. Now I have a small 90 cm tank lit by 2 maxspect l165 jump and am concerned with the best spectrum I can give them. There are already 5 maximas in there. One small blue and green 2 inch Red Sea captive bred, a 3 inch golden and gray unknown origin, two large ultra blue 5 inch and a grade a 5 inch. Appropriated light is the secret regarding clams. They tolerate very well salinity swings, NO3 and PO4 for being shallow water animals. Feeding is not necessary, contrary to several opinions. I’m a clam lover. Definitely.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a 3" clam, was told it was a dersa. My tank was not mature enough but the seller assured me that the clam would do fine, just give it light.
It did not make it.
Maybe in another two years or so I might try again. I have also been advised to aim for a 4" clam to start.

Ricardo Miozzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are absolutely right about this. I bought two beautiful maxima clams which were doing fine and noticeably growing. Unfortunately one day my cleaner shrimp discovered they were delicious, and finished them off overnight.
Cleaner shrimps will not attack a clam if it’s healthy. They are driven by a “death smell” the clam releases when not well, so the shrimp will go to the clam only if it’s almost dead. Difficulty with giant clams is that they can look ok for months and doing not so well. When we see it’s in trouble, generally it’s too late.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m honestly surprised to hear about all the difficulty. I struggle with SPS but my maxima and crocea clams grow like weeds. Just make sure to give the shallow water species *at minimum* 350 PAR, preferably 400+. And keep it white (at least whiter) not blue (shallow waters, remember?).

IME, even the small ones (~4-5cm) do well and grow quickly.

weave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are absolutely right about this. I bought two beautiful maxima clams which were doing fine and noticeably growing. Unfortunately one day my cleaner shrimp discovered they were delicious, and finished them off overnight.
Maybe it was the cleaner, he’s biggest in the tank (bout 3in)

weave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hermits and they Nvr bothered the clam. Say they were unhealthy and their demise triggered the diner bell
They opened, started set foot, closed when I shadowed, ate well when I fed (opened and closed while pulling in food. Don’t know what could have been unhealthy bout them but also not a pro, first attempt at clams. Mix I fed was same I gave to coral. Phyto, roids, ab, some landed around the clam and think that might what attracted hermits and knocked thier foot off. Maybe dottyback or cardinals finished them

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clam but didn't understand when someone said they like a lot of light they didn't mean direct light, they meant par. My clam died cause my Hydra 32 wasn't enough for it.

No clams for me and need to ask here before I purchase something and I should have known better since the tank I purchased it from had a big reef breeders light over it.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never have had luck with them.
Sps grow like mad, even when I ran ULN.
tried 4-5 over the years and they last a few months then shrivel and die..
No clue why
The fluted giant clam (Tridacna squamosa) increases nitrate absorption ... https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00338-020-01907-9

I believe that higher nitrates are a key in aquariums where par levels are lower. Just my somewhat informed opinion combined with personal experience.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back