Don’t break the bank

SoloSuperman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of hobbyists get frustrated with the prices of frags when they’re not exactly trying to collect all the different types. They want good color at an affordable price. So I’ve found recently to start looking at your local folks who are selling colonies on the cheap. I was able to fill my tank with 20 colonies for about $400. I’m talking 5000+ polyps. That’s 8 cents per polyp. It can be done. Join some local groups and you don’t have to break the bank filling your tank.

4AE3B094-BFA8-4CD7-A3FA-EE09FD3A6045.jpeg

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you want though. Yes you can find full colonies of cheap zoa. Seen plenty the only problem is what do you do with them as they grow really hard to give them away let alone sell them. So me personally I'm recommend buying a frag of what you really want and grow it out. Atleast then when it's out grown it's area it's a bit easier to sell

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you want though. Yes you can find full colonies of cheap zoa. Seen plenty the only problem is what do you do with them as they grow really hard to give them away let alone sell them. So me personally I'm recommend buying a frag of what you really want and grow it out. Atleast then when it's out grown it's area it's a bit easier to sell
That’s the thing though, should he decide to ship, he can make large plugs of all of these different colonies he’s acquired and make his money back. If he chose to, he could chop off 50% of every colony he currently has, frag them into 5-10 polyp chunks, and sell them.

Assuming he has 5000 frags (as he states in his post) and decides to frag off half he’d have 2500 polyps and if he were to make 10 polyp frags and sell them for $10 he’d make $2500 which is wayyyy more than enough to pay back what he spent on the colonies, buy a ton of higher end zoas, and probably enough left to spare that he could afford and entire frag system to keep this cycle going.

Personally, I think this is a great idea and very economical of the guy. It’s a good investment and he can choose to sell a lot of the colony and only keep a few dozen polyps of each for himself should he decide he wants to go higher-end

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the thing though, should he decide to ship, he can make large plugs of all of these different colonies he’s acquired and make his money back. If he chose to, he could chop off 50% of every colony he currently has, frag them into 5-10 polyp chunks, and sell them.

Assuming he has 5000 frags (as he states in his post) and decides to frag off half he’d have 2500 polyps and if he were to make 10 polyp frags and sell them for $10 he’d make $2500 which is wayyyy more than enough to pay back what he spent on the colonies, buy a ton of higher end zoas, and probably enough left to spare that he could afford and entire frag system to keep this cycle going.

Personally, I think this is a great idea and very economical of the guy. It’s a good investment and he can choose to sell a lot of the colony and only keep a few dozen polyps of each for himself should he decide he wants to go higher-end
You missed my point MOST people won't buy what he has for 10 a frag. You will be hard pressed to give frags away cause the morphs pictured are quite common. And they ship the full things fairly cheap. It's really a catch 22 get a nice full tank right away then end up with extra you don't know what to do with

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of them are common, I agree with you. But I’ve sold well over 100 radioactive dragon eye frags (not polyps) locally in the last year and theres still demand for them, even though they’re a very common and extremely low end zoa. There are always new reefers or reefers new to zoas that are searching for cheap, easily replaceable frags that they can kinda test things out on. Worst case scenario OP can trade them at an LFS for store credit or start shipping them if interest in his area runs out and he absolutely needs to sell frags. It sounds like he’s very pleased with having a zoa dominant tank and there’s nothing wrong with that either, but I’m positive that he will at least be able to make his $400 back if he chooses to frag and sell at all

OP
OP
SoloSuperman

SoloSuperman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You missed my point MOST people won't buy what he has for 10 a frag. You will be hard pressed to give frags away cause the morphs pictured are quite common. And they ship the full things fairly cheap. It's really a catch 22 get a nice full tank right away then end up with extra you don't know what to do with
I think you missed my point though. This post is specifically directed at hobbyists who want good color, but don’t want to pay huge sums for plugs with a few heads on them. I couldn’t be happier with what I got. But also, you may say people don’t want them, but I guarantee I could get $5-10 a frag. But again, these are for me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back