Don’t buy eshopps skimmers

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understand these threads - I get the OP is angry his tank died.

A) There is no way you can convince me you clean that thing every month or two. That pump/skimmer has not been properly cleaned in a LONG time.
B) There are literally thousands of Sicce pumps running around the world, one is bound to fail from time to time. You keep mentioning a surge protector for some reason, it is obvious you don't quite understand what those do. It doesn't sound like you have your equipment on a GFCI, which would have prevented everything.
C) While customer service sounds like they could have probably done better, if someone sent me those pictures of a product a year out of warranty and wanted me to do anything about it, I would probably laugh too.

Also yes, I have dealt with Sandy in the past. They sent me a new skimmer cup at no charge when my previous one crazed really badly. The new one has been fine. While not all Eshopps products are top of the line, their skimmers (especially the new ones) are very good, especially for the money spent.

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not going to get into the back-and-forth with nobody.... the reason for this post is to prevent this from happening to somebody else even losing their house or love ones.... Iike I said I have dogs as well as kids

And as the people who say that the pump was not cleaned you have to realize one this this pump is a close pump .... completely sealed on the magnetic side.....it Continue to run while on fire... what does barnacles on outside of the pump have to do anything??? I think you should do some research before stick it in your two cents

Every product that I bought from them we’re not cheap....... and like I stated at the beginning of this post everything that I bought was eshopps.....
After this experience I will never use them again you can use your own judgment this is just a warning

ispookie666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear you had a tank crash.
I do understand the emotion of losing so much and the shrug from the company.

I do have to say, the liability would end with replacing the pump, which I believe was done in good faith.

If you are after financial compensation, why not try your home insurance?

As with all others - that pump and skimmer looks seriously not loved. More than all this, I'm really concerned about the wiring in your house, that such a thing happened - I'm not an electrician, but for an RCD or similar and your pumps fuse to not blow is a recipe for disaster

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear you had a tank crash.
I do understand the emotion of losing so much and the shrug from the company.

I do have to say, the liability would end with replacing the pump, which I believe was done in good faith.

If you are after financial compensation, why not try your home insurance?

As with all others - that pump and skimmer looks seriously not loved.

Understand where you’re coming from and if you read a few comments after the post you will be allies as this is the second from Dixon the first pump stopped working after a few then Sandy sent me a brand new club and then this one catches on fire ........

I just wondered if the skimmer didn’t have any barnacles on there what would people say then??

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously stop showing pics! If I were you I would ask mods to delete the thread, take the replacement pump and toss in a couple bucks for a bottle of vinegar.

If you don’t like the thread get off the page I’m trying to help others here I’m not here for your amusement.....

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you lost your livestock.

Sadly any pump can fail, I run an eshopps skimmer as well but trust it as much as I would any other skimmer.

I believe the way to prevent the fire would be to have all equipment on a gfci, which is different than a surge protector.

@Brew12 will set me straight if I'm mistaken.

ispookie666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you are helping yourself by this.

We all agree that something bad happens, you could take them to court if you want to or small claims.

I don't own anything from them, but sicce are a well respected brand. Why not contact them directly, rather than saying your tank wipe out- you could portray this as a direct threat to life and your home.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses. One thing I’m trying to understand is how lacking maintenance could even lead to a fire? I’m not sure why so many are alluding to this being a maintenance issue. If the pump is not maintained, I would think that the impeller jamming or the pump flat out dying would be the worst case scenario... but a fire? I’m not trying to start a debate or take sides, just trying to understand if I should be concerned about a skimmer pump or return pump catching on fire since i’m guilty of cleaning them much less frequently than I know I should lol

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you are helping yourself by this.

We all agree that something bad happens, you could take them to court if you want to or small claims.

I don't own anything from them, but sicce are a well respected brand. Why not contact them directly, rather than saying your tank wipe out- you could portray this as a direct threat to life and your home.

To be honest I just wanted to share my experience and if one person stop buying from them I’ll be happy... I’m not the only person that had a bad experience with them ..........

And if I get help another reefer why not..... I’m just glade my dogs and kid are fine ..... my dogs could’ve died of smoke inhalation...... then I would’ve pursued legal matters....... it’s just sad that I’m trying to help out a fellow reefers and there Portraying me to be the bad one for not clean my pump ...

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a perfect example of how a gfci (either a pig tail, outlet, or entire circuit) could have prevented this but offering protection that a breaker switch or standard outlet/circuit can’t. It sucks this happened, but since it did, this is a good lesson for those learning about this to use gfci protection on fish tanks or any other situations where water is nearby. Dude, be thankful this didn’t happen when you had your hand in the water.

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a perfect example of how a gfci (either a pig tail, outlet, or entire circuit) could have prevented this but offering protection that a breaker switch or standard outlet/circuit can’t. It sucks this happened, but since it did, this is a good lesson for those learning about this to use gfci protection on fish tanks or any other situations where water is nearby. Dude, be thankful this didn’t happen when you had your hand in the water.

Yeah I bet I probably wouldn’t be here to tell the story....

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you lost your livestock.

Sadly any pump can fail, I run an eshopps skimmer as well but trust it as much as I would any other skimmer.

I believe the way to prevent the fire would be to have all equipment on a gfci, which is different than a surge protector.

@Brew12 will set me straight if I'm mistaken.

A proper Surge protector should have caught the issue and tripped within seconds. GFCI's probably would have tripped that much more quickly but a surge protector should not let it continue for MUCH longer. I am curious which surge protector was being used. To the OP I'm sorry for your losses as well, it's always hard seeing these threads regardless of the reasons they come about. We work hard on our reefs and it's heartbreaking to have to deal with such accidents.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although this is a sad time for you, I hope you stick with reefing. Give it a day or two until you cool off a little then fire this tank back up!!! Maybe with a different skimmer this time.;) I hope you move forward, and I look forward to seeing your system getting rebuilt and restocked. Good luck!

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although this is a sad time for you, I hope you stick with reefing. Give it a day or two until you cool off a little then fire this tank back up!!! Maybe with a different skimmer this time.;) I hope you move forward, and I look forward to seeing your system getting rebuilt and restocked. Good luck!

I don’t like to say never I will never leave this hobby I’m in it for the long one and I have two other tanks already sadly both running the eshoop skimmers until I removed them ..... I really love the brand and would recommend it to anyone until this happened in their customer service flipped out on me......smfh Lesson learned

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand where you’re coming from and if you read a few comments after the post you will be allies as this is the second from Dixon the first pump stopped working after a few then Sandy sent me a brand new club and then this one catches on fire ........

I just wondered if the skimmer didn’t have any barnacles on there what would people say then??

That's an unreasonable amount of barnacles and tube worms for a pump that we are told is cleaned every 1-2 months. Barnacles/Tube Worms on the outside means they are also on the inside.

What do you mean when you say your GFCI and surge protector worked? If they worked they wouldn't have continued to deliver power when something was going wrong.

I've heard bad magnet rusting stories about their frag racks which is why I've avoided them.

OP
OP
S

Selk Oner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an unreasonable amount of barnacles and tube worms for a pump that we are told is cleaned every 1-2 months. Barnacles/Tube Worms on the outside means they are also on the inside.

What do you mean when you say your GFCI and surge protector worked? If they worked they wouldn't have continued to deliver power when something was going wrong.

I've heard bad magnet rusting stories about their frag racks which is why I've avoided them.

A lot of there stuff fails I learn the hard way after this happen to me I look online and four more problems....

Yeah it was more like 4 months but that still would not cause the Pump to catch fire

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of there stuff fails I learn the hard way after this happen to me I look online and four more problems....

Yeah it was more like 4 months but that still would not cause the Pump to catch fire

What kind of surge protector do you have, if you don't mind me asking??

jimo12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this hobby is no joke especially if you have a reef tank and other people or pets in your house. this pictures are against you, this hobby sould be taken DEAD seriously once your in it, i spend over 2 hours every week to have everything cleaned and top condition and still im always checking that everything is Οκ. more time spending on this things then steering at my tank

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t buy anything from eshopps especially magnet related but I would buy a eshopps skimmer with a sicce pump if that was my budget. I think you should contact sicce and see what they say. I agree with a lot of people on here about the appearance of your pump but I also agree with the guy that said “even if lack of maintenance was the issue should it start a fire?”

Good luck with everything

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back