Done cycling but no signs of nitrates ?

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I have finished cycling. My ammonia is at 0, nitrites at 0, and nitrates 0. I’ve been cycling for about two weeks using bio spira and dr Tim’s ammonium chloride . I dosed at recommended 2ppm and was reading about every 2 days. The first week my ammonia’s began to go down and nitrites began to rise. After my nitrites began to lower my nitrates began to rise. Eventually I noticed my nitrates began to disappear these 2 days and now today I am read 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. I’m confused as to what happened. I have been keeping my lights off for the most part (except maybe 20 minutes a day mfor the view). What could it be ?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your ammonia dropped you are still cycled. Reasons you are reading zero: for starters, no two nitrate kits show the same reading post to post on comparison threads, you may be at forty on another kit same sample. Ammonia moving down is all you need to see, reducing three misreading params down to just one param we look for motion down, but not total zero, are the new cycling rules panning out just fine here

perhaps you have low nitrates and high sample dilution. Won’t matter, because only ammonia going down matters your cycle is specifically not stuck because nitrite or nitrate read something. It’s about ammonia and meeting the timeframe on the bottle

if the bottle bac were dead or challenged the original ammonia dose wouldn’t go down by directions date.

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a normal cycle to me. Nitrites consume ammonia and nitrates consume nitrites. Your nitrates will read 0 if there are low nutrients in the water After a cycle.
Do you have any inhabitants? More feeding should raise nitrates. Or you could dose them.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a normal cycle to me. Nitrites consume ammonia and nitrates consume nitrites. Your nitrates will read 0 if there are low nutrients in the water After a cycle.
Do you have any inhabitants? More feeding should raise nitrates. Or you could dose them.
No as of right now I don’t. I’m planning on changing out 25% of water today and adding a pinch of fish food to keep the bacteria fed every week. Not sure when I’m getting fish as I need to set up my qt. Do you guys qt fish ?

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your ammonia dropped you are still cycled. Reasons you are reading zero: for starters, no two nitrate kits show the same reading post to post on comparison threads, you may be at forty on another kit same sample. Ammonia moving down is all you need to see, reducing three misreading params down to just one param we look for motion down, but not total zero, are the new cycling rules panning out just fine here

perhaps you have low nitrates and high sample dilution. Won’t matter, because only ammonia going down matters your cycle is specifically not stuck because nitrite or nitrate read something. It’s about ammonia and meeting the timeframe on the bottle

if the bottle bac were dead or challenged the original ammonia dose wouldn’t go down by directions date.
Okay just making sure haha I wasn’t sure if something weird happened. Thank you !

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure would, the disease forum shows consequence of skipping fallow and qt

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some websites will ship em to you quarantined not sure if it’s trustworthy at lfs unless they have a dedicated room for it, many cross contamination sources there vs a common home

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some websites will ship em to you quarantined not sure if it’s trustworthy at lfs unless they have a dedicated room for it, many cross contamination sources there vs a common home
what websites ship already quarantined?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DeniseAndy

Hey are you aware of which sites are selling the pre q fish/ pre treated

I don't keep sw fish just corals so im out of referrals lol

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back