Done treating velvet

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been almost 3 months of my tank being empty after velvet killed everything. I have a QT now that has been running for about 2 months and think I am ready to get fish is there anything else I need to do before adding fish? All fish will be in QT for 1 month. So the tank will be empty for 4 months at that point I still have inverts in the tank so have been feeding the tank 1 frozen cube about 2 times per month so the live bacteria. I have some fish in my QT now just for the bacteria in that tank to live off of should I add them to the display as test fish? They are just some azule damsels and have been in there for about a month. Once I am done "QTing" new fish I think I will probably put them back in the QT if that is a good idea idk? All advice is welcome thx :D

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of adding the azules first. I’ve personally gone through a velvet wipeout. I didn’t begin to go to the extent that you have with quarantining but I did start out adding fish slowly. I never saw a return of the velvet. Thank goodness as I lost many, many fish and have never experienced such an aggressive, progressive killer! Keep your water parameters solid and feed those azules and the fish that follow well and I think you’ll be fine.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of adding the azules first. I’ve personally gone through a velvet wipeout. I didn’t begin to go to the extent that you have with quarantining but I did start out adding fish slowly. I never saw a return of the velvet. Thank goodness as I lost many, many fish and have never experienced such an aggressive, progressive killer! Keep your water parameters solid and feed those azules and the fish that follow well and I think you’ll be fine.
Ok thx I am going on vacation and will add the azules when I get back then. Over time have lost about $400 worth of fish so an extensive QT system is worth it to me

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! You have far more patience than I do. Velvet broke out in one of my clients doctors office. It’s hard to keep a client happy with an empty tank. Velvet hit the tank after a janitor of the office sprayed Lysol to close to the tank. I ran the tank fallow for a short period of time along with diatomaceous earth filters. I kept urchins and ornamental shrimp in the tank during that time just to try to have something of interest for the Office’s visiting patients. After a month I added fish and never had a velvet outbreak again

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weirdly I feel velvet although much more aggressive than ich tends to disappear from.the tank after an outbreak. I had it once around 3 years back and it killed around 30 of my fish but I still had around 20 fish I couldn't catch or quarantine. Gave it 3.months without additions and didnt see any affected fish after the initial outbreak, added new quarantined fish and it's been fine since then.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! You have far more patience than I do. Velvet broke out in one of my clients doctors office. It’s hard to keep a client happy with an empty tank. Velvet hit the tank after a janitor of the office sprayed Lysol to close to the tank. I ran the tank fallow for a short period of time along with diatomaceous earth filters. I kept urchins and ornamental shrimp in the tank during that time just to try to have something of interest for the Office’s visiting patients. After a month I added fish and never had a velvet outbreak again
Nice :p I am only 16 and one day want a 400G-500G and know the best way to do that is be persistent and learn as much as I can thx :D

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weirdly I feel velvet although much more aggressive than ich tends to disappear from.the tank after an outbreak. I had it once around 3 years back and it killed around 30 of my fish but I still had around 20 fish I couldn't catch or quarantine. Gave it 3.months without additions and didnt see any affected fish after the initial outbreak, added new quarantined fish and it's been fine since then.
I agree in some ways I have had velvet for almost a year now I think I just didn't know it. It's probably killed about 20-25 fish. When I added fish it wouldn't attack for about a month then it would kill one fish at a time and u noticed it about 2 days before he died in every case except that of my mated pair of clownfish who died at the same time, how poetic :D in some cases it only killed 3 or 4 fish then left the rest alone ‍♂️

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice :p I am only 16 and one day want a 400G-500G and know the best way to do that is be persistent and learn as much as I can thx :D
That’s awesome! I love it when I hear young people are joining this hobby. I started my fascination with fish when I was 8. Now 40 years later I’m still learning and loving this hobby. I wish I could get my 14 year old son to do anything but play Xbox

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! I love it when I hear young people are joining this hobby. I started my fascination with fish when I was 8. Now 40 years later I’m still learning and loving this hobby. I wish I could get my 14 year old son to do anything but play Xbox
Yeah I still play but between getting ready for collage and taking care of fish I get maybe an hour or 2 a day but my mom tries to encourage the interest for the same reason ;)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%

Back