Done with Neptune, what are alternatives?

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave Neptune Apex its last chance. After losing half my equipment last August to an unexplained issue, this week I lost at EB832 while away for 2 days, rendering my tank without a return for 2 days. Replaced it with a spare, plugged into a different AC outlet, and it died as well. It may be a simple fix, like a bad cable, which I replaced. I updated all the software before this latest failure. Since I was home, I got the tank running on normal power strips. But needless to say, I am sick an tired of the too often Apex crisis, especially when they can't be reached on phone and take 24 hours to respond to an email, and it is always, upgrade this to the latest version. What is not discussed is the disaster these frequent failures are causing. So pulling out of Apex. Done.

The question is what are alternatives. I don't want to go GHL and have possibly a better product but with less support. I want simple. So what comes to mind are Powerstrips with smart timers. Issue there is there is no ability to develop programs that have dependencies between outlets, for example shutting of UV when return is off. Worst case I only run UV when I am home and know that return is running, but geez, that is kind of lame. I know I can put the chiller, for example, on a temperature controller as backup to the chillers internal thermostat. That will work fine. I think frankly, the only program I need a dependency on is the UV shutting off whenever the return controlling the UV flow shuts off, else it will burn out. Can put solenoid on Calc Rx with PH probe as well. Easy.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralVue Hydros?

I’m considering them. I use Neptune presently and I quite love them. But lighting aside, they haven’t innovated much since v1 of any product. I feel like Hydros competition is going to change that. In the interim, I’m open myself to alternatives.

Simple won’t do for me. Kind of hard to go back after having a fully automated system.

But I’m curious what others have to say so I’m following along.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at Robo-Tank/reef-pi. I think I'm going to go this route. Flexibility of reef-pi w/o having to build out all the hardware.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I've got no controllers except an inkbird as a failsafe for my heater. What I did for example with my lights is bought some wifi plugs at home depot so I set times for individual lights (kessil 360x's) for on off and can turn them off and on from wherever I go. Cheap, work great, and you can set times for on off, and also turn stuff on or off from wherever you have a phone signal.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went GHL. It is simply a case of learning where things are and following easy to follow how to videos. Their interface is a bit industrial, but the hardware seems very high quality and makes Neptune kit seem like Hasbro

I’ve not had to use support yet, but I have to say, Vinny has been brilliant on the few questions I’ve had and he’s not even on my side of the Atlantic! Lol

The obvious other choice is Hydros, but keep an eye out for Reef Factory. They have a very cool modular system which is getting good reviews over here and I understand will be released to the US market

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running the Hydros and love it. Super simple to set up. The power strip is easily programmed with timers and it’s WiFi. My only issue is it having just 4 outlets, but for 40 I can get another strip and connect that also.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave Neptune Apex its last chance. After losing half my equipment last August to an unexplained issue, this week I lost at EB832 while away for 2 days, rendering my tank without a return for 2 days. Replaced it with a spare, plugged into a different AC outlet, and it died as well. It may be a simple fix, like a bad cable, which I replaced. I updated all the software before this latest failure. Since I was home, I got the tank running on normal power strips. But needless to say, I am sick an tired of the too often Apex crisis, especially when they can't be reached on phone and take 24 hours to respond to an email, and it is always, upgrade this to the latest version. What is not discussed is the disaster these frequent failures are causing. So pulling out of Apex. Done.

The question is what are alternatives. I don't want to go GHL and have possibly a better product but with less support. I want simple. So what comes to mind are Powerstrips with smart timers. Issue there is there is no ability to develop programs that have dependencies between outlets, for example shutting of UV when return is off. Worst case I only run UV when I am home and know that return is running, but geez, that is kind of lame. I know I can put the chiller, for example, on a temperature controller as backup to the chillers internal thermostat. That will work fine. I think frankly, the only program I need a dependency on is the UV shutting off whenever the return controlling the UV flow shuts off, else it will burn out. Can put solenoid on Calc Rx with PH probe as well. Easy.

Any thoughts?
I dont own any "controllers" so cant comment on that side of things but your example of shutting of UV when return is off is absolutely doable with smart plugs.

I use TECKIN branded smart plugs (cost less than 10 dollars each) and they are great for this to be honest.

Screenshot attached shows a very simple scenario where "if my return is off" the UV goes off too. Theres plenty more conditions to use and this is just a plain and simple example but it sounds like it would do what you need from your example given.

Screen.jpg

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An I missing something here or can't you just plug the uv and return into the same outlet, regardless of how that is controlled?

Since that is the only feature you really care about, and you want simple, hardwiring seems to be the obvious solution

You'd have to look if the combination exceeds the rating of whatever controls that outlet, but it should be possible I think

Last edited:

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex EB832 in particular is prone to all kinds of problems. We've been discussing upgrade and repair options in a couple of threads, for example:

I do recommend doing these upgrades proactively and plan the Apex set up carefully to avoid future issues.
Not defending Neptune/Apex here at all, we shouldn't be doing this for them. But that's what we currently have.

If you choose to repair or sell your failed EB832s, PM me.

tikalize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL.. Been using the Profilux 3 for years and bought a Profilux 1 back in the early 2000s. Never had a problem and programming is not bad at all when you get that hang of it.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also leaning to the RoboTank hardware and ReefPi software. They started their own sub forum in the DIY section here on R2R. @Ranjib is one of several guys working on ReefPi and they come out with annual updates. @robsworld78 does components or complete builds of RoboTank and is in the process of coming out with a new web app based development soon. Customizable to what you want out of it. You can check out his new thread linked below.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros user here. I have a Control 4/XS Collective and love it. Actually adding a Wave Engine tomorrow during my tank transfer.

join the Facebook group for more info.

Or join the forum as well.

You can also check out the CVTV Hydros videos on YouTube for more info on what you can do with it.

428F69A5-B40C-40BE-BC13-18CF24C41B25.jpeg
211DB549-01F3-4A75-A8DF-07D432F93AD5.png
8C5AC8FA-5E49-41A3-B617-C8E24F6B080D.png

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch controllers altogether. A controller is a single point of failure and totally unnecessary. They are fine for monitoring, but I would never plug critical gear like a return pump into a controller. For stuff like PH/temp/etc, you could use independent purpose-built controllers which are generally much more reliable. People have been using Rancos and Milwaukees for decades and they just won't die. Also, add some redundancy. Multiple independently controlled heaters, multiple return pumps, etc. You would sleep better at night. Just my opinion.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get a hydros but if you want to add probs and extra stuff do you have to buy another unit ?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont own any "controllers" so cant comment on that side of things but your example of shutting of UV when return is off is absolutely doable with smart plugs.

I use TECKIN branded smart plugs (cost less than 10 dollars each) and they are great for this to be honest.

Screenshot attached shows a very simple scenario where "if my return is off" the UV goes off too. Theres plenty more conditions to use and this is just a plain and simple example but it sounds like it would do what you need from your example given.

Screen.jpg
I tried similar, but discovered if the internet goes down so do the switches and then can end up in a non desired state.

Dont trust pumps or heaters to them.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried similar, but discovered if the internet goes down so do the switches and then can end up in a non desired state.

Dont trust pumps or heaters to them.
Exactly, people look at me funny when I say that I want all smart outlets to be wired to the controller, no wifi

But when the router goes down again, I don't want to lose my overheating protection or things that are pH regulated to just stay in whatever state they were, in the worst case, the switching signal gets lost and isn't repeated for a long time even after the router is back online

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch controllers altogether. A controller is a single point of failure and totally unnecessary. They are fine for monitoring, but I would never plug critical gear like a return pump into a controller. For stuff like PH/temp/etc, you could use independent purpose-built controllers which are generally much more reliable. People have been using Rancos and Milwaukees for decades and they just won't die. Also, add some redundancy. Multiple independently controlled heaters, multiple return pumps, etc. You would sleep better at night. Just my opinion.
Unless you have battery or generator backup (or something else) for your key systems, the power grid to your house is a single point of failure, so it’s somewhat a moot point what or where you plug things into if your power goes out for an extended period.

Yes, it’s unlikely that you’ll blow a fuse in the panel or the plug or surge protector your pump is connected to gets fried, but these things aren’t beyond the realm of possibility, either.

Ideally you want a level of hardware redundancy, ie: dual pumps on separate outlets, multiple controlled thermostats with temperature probes, multiple wavemakers, remote monitoring (independent from your home network), battery backup, etc.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back