Don't choose a reef tank return pump until you've seen these! Best submersible return pumps of 2019.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

U

User1

View Badges
Surprised on the DC pump. I actually use the Cor's so happy. I use a Cor 20 plugged into the wall outlet for the line with the longest plumbing (return) and a Cor 15 for the return with the shortest. This way I have fail over should something happen. I also use a Cor 15 for my skimmer. Again, since the union is the same they are easy to swap out should I need to.

I've used some other pumps and have to say the Cor's are built like a tank and so far with about 15 months of use give or take they have been reliable.

Edit 1: Control - I use a virtual outlet and call it tide. It will change on/off 4 times. I then have the Cor 20 and 15 return trigger off that on/off so I can get a left/right side majority flow. Pretty slick option within the Fusion panel.

Edit 2: Great job - forgot to include that.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice list, but one can by a danner mag pump and not have to buy another for about 20 years. They are just that good...

Unfortunately these videos are really the "Best of what BRS carries" and not what is necessarily the best out there. I am however looking forward to some real head height tests on the pumps that they do carry, everything from DC to AC and see what the numbers really are compared to what the flow charts from each manufacturer say.

I do like that they really gave props to the Abyzz but also limited there recommendation of it because of its price point and suggested something more realistic budget wise for most reefers.

I'm also curious as to why BRS, as big as they are, don't carry all the options out there. Offering Red Dragon or Mag Drives would be really nice to see, I love shopping on BRS' website more than Canadian websites but there are things they just don't offer and I can't purchase some of the products they push.

Last edited:

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately these videos are really the "Best of what BRS carries" and not what is necessarily the best out there. I am however looking forward to some real head height tests on the pumps that they do carry, everything from DC to AC and see what the numbers really are compared to what the flow charts from each manufacturer say.

I do like that they really gave props to the Abyzz but also limited there recommendation of it because of its price point and suggested something more realistic budget wise for most reefers.

I'm also curious as to why BRS, as big as they are, don't carry all the options out there. Offering Red Dragon or Mag Drives would be really nice to see, I love shopping on BRS' website more than Canadian websites but there are things they just don't offer and I can't purchase some of the products they push.
Oh. I did not even realize the don't carry them. I just assumed they did as they are very popular, simple plug n play submersible pumps.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
One issue I’ve noticed with cheaper DC pumps is that they don’t provide a cooling loop to prevent calcium deposits. The only ones that I know have a internal cooling loop across all the pumps are the Varios and Abyzz. This cuts back on maintenance .

4F790DBD-5643-400B-BE7C-8AB48818CB37.jpeg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
One issue I’ve noticed with cheaper DC pumps is that they don’t provide a cooling loop to prevent calcium deposits. The only ones that I know have a internal cooling loop across all the pumps are the Varios and Abyzz. This cuts back on maintenance .

4F790DBD-5643-400B-BE7C-8AB48818CB37.jpeg

The new Vectras and Red Dragons both have cooling loops on them as well although Red Dragons aren't really on the cheaper end of the spectrum. I'm not sure about the CORs though..

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new Vectras and Red Dragons both have cooling loops on them as well although Red Dragons aren't really on the cheaper end of the spectrum. I'm not sure about the CORs though..
Only the L2 has the cooling loop not the others
Red Dragon yes

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched this and noticed you said that you were going to try to put together a sound proof room. You should check with your local engineering schools. They probably have an anechoic chamber designed for this type of experiment. If they are a research school I am sure it would be reasonably affordable or free if you time it so that they can use it for a teaching lab experiment. If you've never been in one, the rooms are so quiet it makes you slightly queasy until you get used to it - best way to collect sound data.

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have to give a shout out to Rossmont. Italian made and they’ve been great for me so far. I don’t own the controller for Them but they can be dialed in as well. I’ve used quite a few(mag drive, sicce5.0(I use a 3.0 for mixing and moving di water), varios(is on my skimmer now) and now rossmont)over the years and really never had a problem with any except one mag drive breaking a shaft.
On a side note- I actually still have an original korallia k4 that I use to mix my saltwater. ~14 years old now I believe.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy,
I will definitely be holding off on purchasing a pump until then. Can’t wait to see what happens.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy,
I will definitely be holding off on purchasing a pump until then. Can’t wait to see what happens.

I think when we finally get around to a test like this, we definitely will run the gamut of available pumps. My guess is that sometime in 2020 we find a way to get this done. :)

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched this and noticed you said that you were going to try to put together a sound proof room. You should check with your local engineering schools. They probably have an anechoic chamber designed for this type of experiment. If they are a research school I am sure it would be reasonably affordable or free if you time it so that they can use it for a teaching lab experiment. If you've never been in one, the rooms are so quiet it makes you slightly queasy until you get used to it - best way to collect sound data.

I am not sure why they need a soundproof room though. A standard room with measurement over ambient would work and it is what many of the computer tech websites do for their testing.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why they need a soundproof room though. A standard room with measurement over ambient would work and it is what many of the computer tech websites do for their testing.

That's because they don't have a soundproof room (they are very expensive) :p

But it depends on what and how you are testing I suppose. Especially if you are testing individually over a longer span of time. Background noise will influence the test. That may or may not be insignificant. Better data is always good

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back