Don't forget to blow off your rock work! How often do you do it, and what do you use?

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously...didn't realize snails poop so much!

I try and use a turkey baster 2-3 times per week, and go really heavy on water change day. I"m able to get enough of it in the water column that the filter floss in the overflow gets a good majority of it!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My high nutrient tank also has fairly high flow. That and the tank is coming on 7 years old in this aquarium (but the rock is from the 90s) so it's a very mature system so I only use a turkey baster to blow off the rockwork every other month or so and don't get a lot of detritus even at that.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Once a week works for me. I think blowing off the rock and coral, is one of the most important weekly tasks, followed by a coral snow.

This is my DIY "reef duster" a variable potentiometer in one hand with a 750GPG DC Bilge pump attached, all plugged into my Reef's backup battery generator. No risk of AC current running down my body and I can ramp the flow up and down to blow out deep crevices, SPS and sensitive LPS. I even use it to lightly stir up the sand bed. I really love this DIY setup.
MattDG Reef Duster and Controller.jpg
MattDG Reef Backup Generator and Bilge Pump Duster.jpg

Back