Don't forget to blow off your rock work! How often do you do it, and what do you use?

Onixom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To blow excess food, fish crap, and detritus off, and within the rocks and into the filtration. This "crap" breaks down and contributes to algae, as well as NO3 and PO4.
Ah I get you, so if i dont do this within reason often then it can contribute to a algea outbreak?
Think i will be doing this when i get back from work lol cheers mate

LakerJean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blow mine off once every four days or so with a turkey baster. I usually do it at night just before the lights go out and add hydrogen peroxide.
Do you add hydrogen peroxide nightly as preventative or are you trying to cure something? As I'm in the midst of a battle with cyano I blow the the stuff every few days as well, but curious on the peroxide as I learned that may be helpful in controlling cyano

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it every 3-4 weeks. I think the frequency should be determined by the tank shape, flow and rock work. Some will need it more often, some less because every tank is so different.
If someone blows their tank down and get only a little detritus, they can probably slack off a little; if they get a blizzard in the water, they would do well to increase the frequency of that task.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The turkey baster is a strong workout for the forearms and wrists! I will likely use a small pump instead.

corey

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you add hydrogen peroxide nightly as preventative or are you trying to cure something? As I'm in the midst of a battle with cyano I blow the the stuff every few days as well, but curious on the peroxide as I learned that may be helpful in controlling cyano

Originally I started dosing it every night to help fight off dinos. Now that the dinos are gone I still dose hydrogen peroxide to keep them from coming back especially cause I try to keep my nutrients low. I just does it a lot less frequently - about once a week now.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have stuff settle on their rocks? Between my water flow and things walking across the rock I can't even get a dead zone to exist in my tank period. Heck if I remove my filters I have dead copepod shells blowing around in the water refusing to settle anywhere.

Next to impossible with larger tanks. Even at 100x flow I have many, many many spots where crap builds up in my 400G

Mazapis58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blow the rock every fortnight with a turkey baster. Before I was not aware of the amount of debris that accumulates in the rock

Tropheus57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Le nettoyage des détritus de votre travail dans la roche est une partie importante de l'entretien de votre récif. Certaines personnes utilisent une poire à dinde et d'autres une petite tête motrice. Cela doit être fait avec une certaine fréquence, mais j'ai vu cela se faire à chaque horaire, de la nuit à presque jamais. Je dirais qu'il faut le faire au moins une fois par mois environ. Qu'en pensez-vous? Quelle est votre routine ? À quelle fréquence nettoyez-vous vos pierres et qu'utilisez-vous ?
Il est vrai que j'ai déjà fait cela, souffler sur les roches avec une poire a dinde et cela débarrasse les coraux et les roches de beaucoup de détritus qui sont aspirés par l'over flow et ainsi filtré. Merci de me le rappeler car j'étais en train de l'oublier. A faire aujourd'hui même.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it once. Do people do it to remove detritus? My tank depletes po4 and no3 very quickly, so probably wouldn't make much sense to do it in my case.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back