Dont trust fish store employees on their word! Ask about return policies!!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come everyone in this hobby has accepted that many LFS have employees that don’t know what they are doing when we wouldn’t accept that in any other aspect of life. Don’t get me wrong I have accepted that too and do my own research before going into the store but if this were any other part of our lives we would be just as furious as op in the same exact situation
Honestly, I’d guess that most fields have a ton of employees that don’t know what they’re doing in them, it’s just much more apparent in this one because of the clear and drastic negative effects that occur when their bad advice is taken.

For example, it's obvious someone is giving bad advice when they tell you to put a shark in a 20 gallon tank (especially with other fish), but it's a lot less obvious when someone is giving advice for things like grow lights by saying "go with the higher wattage light, it'll be more powerful," even though it's not necessarily true (in fact, I know of one LED company that markets two lights with the exact same specs, but one is 600 W and the other is 1000 W; they admit that there is literally no other difference between the two lights [they have the same PAR and spectrum and everything], so going with the "more powerful" 1000 W literally just raises your electric bill with no benefits over the 600 W).

To put this concept into other terms, I know it's a bit of a running joke in the corporate world that most bosses have no idea what they're doing (I've personally had some good bosses, some mediocre bosses, and a couple of terrible bosses - I'd imagine most people are in that same boat), and my family in programming all talk regularly about how they have to come in and correct shoddy work done by other programmers who clearly didn't know what they doing.

So, again, I think it's generally expected that some employees just don't know what they're doing (and some likely never will) no matter what field they're in, it's just a lot more obvious to the public which employees are the bad ones with fields like this hobby.

In closing, as I like to joke with my wife, "Fifty percent of all doctor's graduated in the bottom of their class." No matter what field you look at, there will be some people who are really good at it, some who are really bad at it, and a lot of people in between at varying levels of good or bad - it's really just a matter of figuring out who is where on that spectrum and listening the good ones (which is sometimes easier said than done).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your example is not the employee's fault. It is the management team's fault. Lack of training and communication.
That was my point. It's not the employee's fault. The problem with something as complex as a reef aquarium is difficult to train a 'new employee' to know everything about reefing.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That being said .
they have a few employees that will blow wind storms of bs up your butt to try convincing you to buy that one item you asked about. Whether you need it or not .

I have waited and approached the customers they tried convincing to buy something and offered my suggestions for example ( buying 2 clownfish and a dwarf angelfish and adding them all to a brand new system .
shark egg in a 20 gal system
Or selling someone a complete setup , rocks , sand , and taking them to the fish room to pick out their first fish to drop in the same day .
Yes - and it's no different than a car salesman, the server that pushes the daily special, the over-priced drinks, etc etc etc. What IMHO - this thread should teach people is 'Do your own research' - on almost everything. BTW - The premise from the OP that I disagree with is that everyone just 'accepts' that LFS employees do not know anything. I stopped going to several - when they either didn't know - or wouldn't try to find out the answer to a question. I pity those that do not have a good LFS in their neighborhood.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, I’d guess that most fields have a ton of employees that don’t know what they’re doing in them, it’s just much more apparent in this one because of the clear and drastic negative effects that occur when their bad advice is taken.

For example, it's obvious someone is giving bad advice when they tell you to put a shark in a 20 gallon tank (especially with other fish), but it's a lot less obvious when someone is giving advice for things like grow lights by saying "go with the higher wattage light, it'll be more powerful," even though it's not necessarily true (in fact, I know of one LED company that markets two lights with the exact same specs, but one is 600 W and the other is 1000 W; they admit that there is literally no other difference between the two lights [they have the same PAR and spectrum and everything], so going with the "more powerful" 1000 W literally just raises your electric bill with no benefits over the 600 W).

To put this concept into other terms, I know it's a bit of a running joke in the corporate world that most bosses have no idea what they're doing (I've personally had some good bosses, some mediocre bosses, and a couple of terrible bosses - I'd imagine most people are in that same boat), and my family in programming all talk regularly about how they have to come in and correct shoddy work done by other programmers who clearly didn't know what they doing.

So, again, I think it's generally expected that some employees just don't know what they're doing (and some likely never will) no matter what field they're in, it's just a lot more obvious to the public which employees are the bad ones with fields like this hobby.

In closing, as I like to joke with my wife, "Fifty percent of all doctor's graduated in the bottom of their class." No matter what field you look at, there will be some people who are really good at it, some who are really bad at it, and a lot of people in between at varying levels of good or bad - it's really just a matter of figuring out who is where on that spectrum and listening the good ones (which is sometimes easier said than done).
And - my doctor (when asked a question the other day - and he is a great doctor who I know graduated in the top 10% of his class - said - I'm going to have to google it. LOL. It's also the 'new way' In the past - doctors, LFS owners, etc etc would go to written manuals to get their advice now - its the internet - its no different (except its quicker and perhaps more efficient). Sometimes - the best person to go to - is the one that knows where to look for the right answer if they don't know it?

Last edited:

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of time, especially nowadays, you will get salespeople who know nothing of reef tanks or fish, working in the lfs. The buyer should research what they want before they go to the store, and not rely on the clerk bagging up the fish to tell them how to take care of it. Also, I know of zero places in my area that accept returns. It is usually for disease prevention in their systems, or the like. If I end up with an undesirable inhabitant, I look to local groups and forums to rehome them. I hope you find a solution, good luck!
at an lfs near where i live, they have a guy who is super helpful and nice and great but has never even thought about getting an aquarium until he worked there, whenever he didn't know something he would just say I don't know, and then look it up. it was fine tho because of how helpful he is. he has been working there for a year now and just started his first reef. the point is, even if the employee is super knowledgeable if they are helpful and willing to learn, they are a good employee

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at an lfs near where i live, they have a guy who is super helpful and nice and great but has never even thought about getting an aquarium until he worked there, whenever he didn't know something he would just say I don't know, and then look it up. it was fine tho because of how helpful he is. he has been working there for a year now and just started his first reef. the point is, even if the employee is super knowledgeable if they are helpful and willing to learn, they are a good employee
You are correct. If they show up on time, sober and in uniform, and work hard and are honest, and willing to learn they are a good employee.

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pity those that do not have a good LFS in their neighborhood.
This is a big thing for many of us. I have one LFS within 45 minutes of me and they are okay. I trust a few of their employees completely. The store isn't very big though and since they are the only one around they get 100% of the customers in the area. This is a bit off topic but the way I hear some of you guys talking about your process of buying fish is just completely impossible for me without spending an arm and a leg to have the store quarantine it for me.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others who say do your own research first. It's your tank and your investment so don't rely on others to give you correct information. Not to kick you while you're down, but be prepared to lose the Blue Spot Jawfish also. They come from cooler waters and often do not do well at reef tank tamps. They are also referred to as suicide fish as they will jump out of tanks if you do not have a lid, so be sure to add one if you haven't already.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back