Dont trust fish store employees on their word! Ask about return policies!!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth …
There are not too many lfs that will advise against you buying that cute fish .

instead of the impulse buying I have started watching the fish , and checking on it a few times within weeks to see what else is in the tank with it , how it eats and how it looks .

if I notice sometime dead in the tank , something hiding in corners or it doesn’t eat I don’t buy it

I have lost too many over the years to settle for the first fish I see .
That being said
I have a flame hawk , a lawnmower blenny and mandarins in the same tank , always have and never had any issues

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would suggest that no matter what ANYONE says about fish compatibility or reef-safety - whether in the LFS or the internet store - they are all individuals and every tank is different.

As to this particular situation, I would only go to an LFS where the staff 'seems' to know what they are doing. Everyone starts learning 'somewhere' - and it's impossible IMHO for every staff person to be a reef expert on day 1. There is nothing wrong, to me, for an employee to look up an answer to a question (I asked my doctor a question - he said 'I'll have to look it up' - and he is a great doctor. My experience is that many stores take fish back in 'for credit' or trade. I think your expectations were maybe a little too high?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that no matter what ANYONE says about fish compatibility or reef-safety - whether in the LFS or the internet store - they are all individuals and every tank is different.

As to this particular situation, I would only go to an LFS where the staff 'seems' to know what they are doing. Everyone starts learning 'somewhere' - and it's impossible IMHO for every staff person to be a reef expert on day 1. There is nothing wrong, to me, for an employee to look up an answer to a question (I asked my doctor a question - he said 'I'll have to look it up' - and he is a great doctor. My experience is that many stores take fish back in 'for credit' or trade. I think your expectations were maybe a little too high?
Most stores I’ve visited do not have a return policy or guarantee for saltwater livestock

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always do research before, and during my visits to LFS. +1 to this, hard.

....other than the very first time I went and bought a 'yellowtail damsel' that the employee swore up and down was completely harmless and non-aggressive. learned my lesson, lol!

the little dude stayed to cycle my 75 gallon tank, and I brought him back for store credit.

always google whatever it is you're getting ready to buy or even better, top right corner of this page is search, just type the name of the critter/coral in that bar and you'll get years on threads on whatever you're looking for :)
It's really cruel to use a fish to cycle your tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most stores I’ve visited do not have a return policy or guarantee for saltwater livestock
I agree - there is usually no 'guarantee', but, I have not heard of an LFS that will not 're-home' a fish - and give a small credit. Maybe it's more specific to our area. Part of it is, I think, having a relationship with the owner or some of the staff (i.e. be friendly, shop regularly at the store, etc). I have to say - I haven't been into my LFS for months - since I have the fish, etc that I want. But plan to go soon. I know that they take in coral, fish, equipment, etc for trade.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - there is usually no 'guarantee', but, I have not heard of an LFS that will not 're-home' a fish - and give a small credit. Maybe it's more specific to our area. Part of it is, I think, having a relationship with the owner or some of the staff (i.e. be friendly, shop regularly at the store, etc). I have to say - I haven't been into my LFS for months - since I have the fish, etc that I want. But plan to go soon. I know that they take in coral, fish, equipment, etc for trade.
One of the stores I buy all my fish from is similar .

they have asked for cheato ,
And if I choose to donate Xenia that is over growing they will gladly take it for a small credit .
I have taken fish to them which were overly aggressive , or grew too big . Even if I chose a different direction with livestock

but … I have been visiting that store for many years .

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come everyone in this hobby has accepted that many LFS have employees that don’t know what they are doing when we wouldn’t accept that in any other aspect of life. Don’t get me wrong I have accepted that too and do my own research before going into the store but if this were any other part of our lives we would be just as furious as op in the same exact situation

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How come everyone in this hobby has accepted that many LFS have employees that don’t know what they are doing when we wouldn’t accept that in any other aspect of life. Don’t get me wrong I have accepted that too and do my own research before going into the store but if this were any other part of our lives we would be just as furious as op in the same exact situation
Don't you think that nearly every 'new' employee has relatively less knowledge than someone doing a job for a year or 2 or 10?. I think thats the answer to your question - people 'accept it' because they realize that it's nearly impossible for employees to know everything about everything - and IMHO - that applies to any job. Go to a restaurant - ask 'whats the soup of the day' - Answer (often) - Oh I have to go check and the day is already half over lol.

IMHO the biggest problem in the aquarium industry is not 'poor LFS employees' - its lack of research/responsibility on the part of aquarium owners.

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you think that nearly every 'new' employee has relatively less knowledge than someone doing a job for a year or 2 or 10?. I think thats the answer to your question - people 'accept it' because they realize that it's nearly impossible for employees to know everything about everything - and IMHO - that applies to any job. Go to a restaurant - ask 'whats the soup of the day' - Answer (often) - Oh I have to go check and the day is already half over lol.

IMHO the biggest problem in the aquarium industry is not 'poor LFS employees' - its lack of research/responsibility on the part of aquarium owners.
I really feel like you chose the worst possible example. 1: I have never been to a restaurant where they didn’t know the specials for the day and 2: even if they didn’t know, when they come back they are right every time. There is misinformation in probably every LFS out there. When you go to buy something in any industry, you should be able to ask the employees and feel reasonably confident that you are getting good info

Grapefruit509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs tried to sell me a yellow tang for my 30g first reef lol, tried to convince my mom it would be good and clean the rocks and then denied it in a google review I wrote lol don't trust the salesman, he was owner btw

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, when I go to the tesco I dont expect the guy doing the shelves or the cashier knowing everything about X milk or Y canned soup, I make my own decisions.

Cooking or buying a fishh is my hobby for them its a work, they are there to maintain shelves/tanks and hand out the milk/fish.

Anything more than this is an extra.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to a small owned fish shop that I had only bought food and equipment from. Was talked into getting a blue spotted Jawfish, after being told that it was completely safe with blennies and gobbies.. I had never really seen jawfish before but when I did, my first thought was "that's a gobby!" . However the so called expert says it's a jawfish, so it will be perfect if you want a lawnmower blenny... I'm thrilled! I wanted a lawnmower but didn't want to settle for just 1 of these weird looking guys... PLEASE DONT DO IT! algae blennys are known to be agressive..aggressive... its difficult because most places will say they are not aggressive but this guy? He has pushed every single fish in my tank out of their caves. He is a nightmare. And the jawfish??? That poor thing is stressed as it can get. I have put her in a peace maker tank, because the blenny will hunt her down and attack full force!! It's not about territory... because he goes out of his way to move her, and my flame hawk out of their caves. Never seen a fish be so aggressive within 20 seconds of being introduced to the tank... all my fish get along, but honestly I feel like you have to be very lucky to find a peaceful lawnmower... ive read more about them last night then ever, and ive heard similar stories with exactly jawfish and hawkfish... and the store guaranteed I would have no problems other than the usual introducing issues. The blenny almost killed the jawfish. My flame hawk has been the most peaceful fish in the tank, and since last night, he's restless swimming back and forth on the surface of the tank! He finally decided enough was enough just this morning, and litteraly kicked the blenny out of his cave, and later chased him off when he came back to bother him. Nightmare!!! He's even mean to the clownfish who have been there the longest. They fortunately will not let anyone or anything bully them, but it's simply unnecessary. I called the shop and she told me they don't take fish back, or do exchanges for tank safety... but they take fish for free if you need to get rid of one??? So basically the real issue is they don't want to give you back your money. It has nothing to do with safety. Also, if that's the policy, it should be stated. Not to mention you better make sure you have actual experts selling you compatible fish! This girl tries to sell me a draginet claiming it was a blue spotted jawfish... I told her it was a mandarin dragonet. Thought she just had a long day, but she was also looking at her opine a lot, while we asked all the questions we do before adding tank mates. Pretty sure she was googling answers... so they have a no return policy, that is no were on the website, and have kids that know absolutely nothing of fish compatibility selling them... great.
What size tank is this?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really feel like you chose the worst possible example. 1: I have never been to a restaurant where they didn’t know the specials for the day and 2: even if they didn’t know, when they come back they are right every time. There is misinformation in probably every LFS out there. When you go to buy something in any industry, you should be able to ask the employees and feel reasonably confident that you are getting good info
If the only point that you took from my post was the example - I think you'll get my meaning if you re-read it. Your original post contained the following sentence:

"How come everyone in this hobby has accepted that many LFS have employees that don’t know what they are doing when we wouldn’t accept that in any other aspect of life."

I don't know what 'everyone' thinks or accepts. My point was that in EVERY job - there are going to be less knowledgeable and more knowledgeable people - thus this would include LFS. But, I disagree with your point, we accept this in every aspect of our lives. Usually, when I'm approached with a situation like this whether at a dog breeder, an LFS, a restaurant, etc etc - I talk to the manager. Likewise, when I buy a refrigerator, I don't walk into Best Buy and ask the summer temporary employee which refrigerator to buy - I research it before-hand because I assume that thats what a smart consumer does.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, I have fired three different auto mechanic shops in the last year because THEY DID NOT KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your example is not the employee's fault. It is the management team's fault. Lack of training and communication.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the only point that you took from my post was the example - I think you'll get my meaning if you re-read it. Your original post contained the following sentence:

"How come everyone in this hobby has accepted that many LFS have employees that don’t know what they are doing when we wouldn’t accept that in any other aspect of life."

I don't know what 'everyone' thinks or accepts. My point was that in EVERY job - there are going to be less knowledgeable and more knowledgeable people - thus this would include LFS. But, I disagree with your point, we accept this in every aspect of our lives. Usually, when I'm approached with a situation like this whether at a dog breeder, an LFS, a restaurant, etc etc - I talk to the manager. Likewise, when I buy a refrigerator, I don't walk into Best Buy and ask the summer temporary employee which refrigerator to buy - I research it before-hand because I assume that thats what a smart consumer does.
I believe on top of new or old employees the whole lfs part of it is based on sales .

would they still have employees at any lfs if They didn’t make sales ?

if my family was in need to put bread on the table , I would try my hardest to sell what I had to .
If that meant convincing eskimos they needed my ice cubes , so be it .
of that mom and son came in to a restaurant I would recommend the most expensive dish .
Same goes for the lfs.
Mom and daughter want that fish , if my family affording rent. dang right I would sell that fish .
But this is why I am not or never will be a salesman .
Point is . They are paid to sell things . At what ever cost possible

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This - and - friendliness goes a long way.
That being said .
they have a few employees that will blow wind storms of bs up your butt to try convincing you to buy that one item you asked about. Whether you need it or not .

I have waited and approached the customers they tried convincing to buy something and offered my suggestions for example ( buying 2 clownfish and a dwarf angelfish and adding them all to a brand new system .
shark egg in a 20 gal system
Or selling someone a complete setup , rocks , sand , and taking them to the fish room to pick out their first fish to drop in the same day .

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have two dedicated marine aquarium stores within a day's drive, and the only terrible suggestions I've heard have come from customers. These aren't the expected cycling or stocking suggestions, but the "can I put clowns in a freshwater tank?" type of question. One owner putters around with a perpetually defeated expression, and, after hearing him hounded by the stupidest of questions, I understand why.

I'll take advice under advisement after hearing about the employees' own tanks and stocking experiences. One employee, though, tried to vigorously warn me off of captive-bred orchid dottybacks because of their "aggressiveness". How dare she attack my precioussss...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back