OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just ordered the sump light you recommended. Finally setting up my own 220 waterbox this week and have a couple questions.

How high in the overflow box is your water level? Right under emergency drain? Or right above full siphon drain?

I was dumb and installed the drains straight into the first sock compartment so I will have to drain tank some and overflow box to fix that but it sounds like a waterfall between 1st sock chamber to the 2nd. Is it because of my mistake or is yours loud too? Think I only have my Cor-20 at like 30% and see you run yours at 50%.

- I have it about 1/2 inch below the emergency drain. If you go too low, the water drops off like a waterfall and it can be pretty annoying.

- Drains should be in going into the rear left corner. Then over flows into the first cup, and then the second cup. People have complained that its noisey. But I'm sure a majority of your noise if from setting it up wrong. Get it fixed and go from there. I didn't think it was too bad when I had socks. Water makes these over flow silencer lids to go over the socks but last time I checked they were only for the 4 inch socks. Check to see if they have the 7 inch version. I switched to cups and swap out filter media every 3-5 days. Much easier than cleaning socks.

I run my Cor20 @65% now but I also run my carbon/gfo reactor off the manifold. This helped with better GFO tumbling and better flow to in my main tank especially with the random flow nozzles. I plan to also run a UV sterilizer off my last manifold spot just to experiment with. Might as well.

20200304_102412.jpg

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- I have it about 1/2 inch below the emergency drain. If you go too low, the water drops off like a waterfall and it can be pretty annoying.

- Drains should be in going into the rear left corner. Then over flows into the first cup, and then the second cup. People have complained that its noisey. But I'm sure a majority of your noise if from setting it up wrong. Get it fixed and go from there. I didn't think it was too bad when I had socks. Water makes these over flow silencer lids to go over the socks but last time I checked they were only for the 4 inch socks. Check to see if they have the 7 inch version. I switched to cups and swap out filter media every 3-5 days. Much easier than cleaning socks.

I run my Cor20 @65% now but I also run my carbon/gfo reactor off the manifold. This helped with better GFO tumbling and better flow to in my main tank especially with the random flow nozzles. I plan to also run a UV sterilizer off my last manifold spot just to experiment with. Might as well.

Thank you for replying. I just followed your lead and bought a couple filter media cups that you linked as well. I know I'm not going to be changing out socks out as often as I should be. I will probley try and swap my drain pipes tomorrow when the wife gets back home to help

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for replying. I just followed your lead and bought a couple filter media cups that you linked as well. I know I'm not going to be changing out socks out as often as I should be. I will probley try and swap my drain pipes tomorrow when the wife gets back home to help

Glad my build thread is helping!

This is what I use for media. You can buy smaller amounts but the more you buy the cheaper. I cut them up in squares. You'll know when they need to be replaced because they turn brown and the water level in the cups starts to rise. You want to cut them big enough where they will filter most water but small enough where it doesnt block all the flow.

Media on Amazon here

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Aqua 57 watt UV to my sump. No specific reason really. I wanted to see first hand if the UV is worth it and if I can notice a difference. I also had an unused spot on my manifold. So why not.

Ideally it would be best to take water out of sump (or manifold) and output into the main display directly. This would eliminate a good amount of water being reprocessed. But I'd rather have a clean outside look so I have the output line right at my return pump.

I'll report my findings over the next couple months.

20200308_145749.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I got my ICP results earlier this week. Received a test for secret santa! See below. I had not done a water change in nearly 2 months at the time. I just changed out 30 gallons to address some of my low levels of Sodium and Chlroine... if it even matters. I'm still changing out 4 gallons a day from 10pm - 6am. Overkill?... Maybe but with my current heavy feeding, my nitrates and phosphates are perfect. 5-8 nitrates and .03-.05 phosphates.

I'm curious what everyone has their Bromine (Br) at?

shared-widget-1583699086826.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased an Avast Swabbie & Davy Jones' Skimmate Locker. Noticed my skimmer's performance seems to decrease after a few days. Especially in the neck area. Anyone have have these? Feedback?

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased an Avast Swabbie & Davy Jones' Skimmate Locker. Noticed my skimmer's performance seems to decrease after a few days. Especially in the neck area. Anyone have have these? Feedback?

Mine kept the neck clean but after about a week I still did see a significant decrease in skim produced.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up! How is the COR20 working with the UV added? I am looking at the WB 220.6 or RS XXL 900. Any regrets with the 220.6?
Thank you!

Thanks sir. I had a Varios 8 but with nothing running off the manifold, it was over kill. Now that I have both manifold spots running off the cor20, I'm having to run it at 90% to keep everything happy. I have no real reference points besides optimal GPH for dual random flow nozzles is around 850-900. So right off the bat, you're looking at 40%. Account for head loss... and I would say the pump needs to run at 55% to achieve the 850-900. I am now running a dual GFO and carbon reactor. With the valves wide open and optimal GFO tumbling, I had to raise the it to about 70%. Then I added the UV. 1,600 GPH is apparently the optimal flow rate for effective control of fish disease. I added the UV just to experiment. I have no current issues. But even if I wanted to shoot for 500-750 GPH, My guess was setting my return to 90%. More than I ever like to run a piece of equipment. Long story short, I would go with a Varios 8... especially if you go with a bigger tank. I'll report if I noticed any difference since adding the UV. I have the Apex Flow Monitor kit, just been to lazy to install it. That would allow me to 100% dial in flow rate. Maybe some day.

As for Red Sea vs Waterbox? Red Sea is an extremely shady company with the handling of their current tank problems. I won't support that company ever again. Look around for threads. I'll leave it at that.

I am happy with my Waterbox. I got a keeper tank on my 4th try. One heck of a story, but I won't go into detail because I just don't care. Waterbox handled the problem, just wish it was handled in a way where I didn't feel like a nuisance.

My suggestion is to try to see both side by side. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I am very happy with my 230.6 (now 220). The extra size of the 900xl is definitely appealing. Just depends on your budget and where you plan to put it. If Red Sea weren't a crappy company I would suggest the 900xl just because of its size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed. Running 6x a day for 3 minutes. Neck no longer getting gunked up. Working just as good like after being cleaned. Ran the waste locker to the corner. Pressure switch connected to IO port of apex. If that trips, I have it set to shut down swabbie and skimmer. Along with all the alerts. Pretty cool. When you have alot of fish/heavy bioload, things skimmate builds up fast.

20200322_170310.jpg

20200322_170354.jpg

20200317_112214.jpg

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a hood/director to my H380 refug light. The spill over light was causing build up in my skimmer. With the hood, the light sat too low so I had to remove it from my kessil arm. Need to figure out how to mount it, allowing more clearance.

I also added a guard to my core 20. Now I can safely add cleaner crew to that chamber without worrying about one of them getting sucked in. Clean clean clean!

20200325_110515.jpg
20200325_110424.jpg
20200325_110542.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back