Dose Hydrogen Peroxide direct to your display tank

jttran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,
Can you dose Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) direct to your reef display tank? Invertebrates, fish, and corals are safe? I’ve been fighting dino and cyano bacteria for several months. I had been doing weekly water changed, used chemiclean, and replace filter floss every 3 days. It didn’t help. It’s 220 gallons and almost 3 years old. How many days can you dose hydrogen peroxide (3%) in your reef display tank (To the max, when it’s safe). If I’m starting to dose hydrogen peroxide (3%), should I do weekly water change or wait til cyano/dino go away?Can you run reactor Carbon and GFO at the same time or offline? I’m using RO/DI water.
parameters:
Ca 480 (high but every tank is different)
alka 9.3
Mg 1450
phos .07-.120 (high but okay)
nitrate 10-20 ppm (high but okay)
Thank you for feedback!!!!

OP
OP
J

jttran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1614645021694.jpeg

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,
Can you dose Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) direct to your reef display tank? Invertebrates, fish, and corals are safe? I’ve been fighting dino and cyano bacteria for several months. I had been doing weekly water changed, used chemiclean, and replace filter floss every 3 days. It didn’t help. It’s 220 gallons and almost 3 years old. How many days can you dose hydrogen peroxide (3%) in your reef display tank (To the max, when it’s safe). If I’m starting to dose hydrogen peroxide (3%), should I do weekly water change or wait til cyano/dino go away?Can you run reactor Carbon and GFO at the same time or offline? I’m using RO/DI water.
parameters:
alka 9.3
Mg 1450
Been dosing almost 3 weeks in my nano 1ML per 10gal no negative issues with fish or inverts. It’s cleared most of my algae issue. Still have some stuff on the sandbed. My anemone also hasn’t had any bad affects with it. I did one water change to try and help clean up the sand bed.

I believe it dissipates in the water rather quickly

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally safe IME.

OP
OP
J

jttran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dosing almost 3 weeks in my nano 1ML per 10gal no negative issues with fish or inverts. It’s cleared most of my algae issue. Still have some stuff on the sandbed. My anemone also hasn’t had any bad affects with it. I did one water change to try and help clean up the sand bed.

thanks for feedback! Now i feel a little comfortable.

OP
OP
J

jttran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, do you run GFO and carbon offline when you’re dosing H202? thanks

mattfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your readings aren't bad , bring down PO4 to .05. What is your photo period ?

dead_goby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing 1ml 4 times/day in a 45g for the the last few weeks. So far seems great.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose when photoperiod is off. Peroxide will not last one photoperiod.

I dosed a mature mixed garden with starfish, sponges, anemone, spaghetti worms using a dosage rate of 1ml / 10G . Amphipods & copepods were exterminated, everything else was ok. In my case I removed algae/pod reactor & algae refugium from peroxide treatment thereby reintroducing pods.

For a major cleaning, do the treatment for 7 days. I don’t see it as continuous operation.

Neon_k3v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrate is too high. Hydrogen peroxide is only going to boost nitrification. It wall also kill phyto and cyano. Just be careful. Too much will cause more problems.

aeration does the same, think skimmer.

I am a wastewater operator. We do the same as saltwater fish tanks, but we have to denitrify also. We can’t water change. ;)

your algae is doing the denitrification (think algae scrubber). It just can’t keep up with your ammonia load.

kevin

Last edited:

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,
parameters:
alka 9.3
Mg 1450
I've been using it in my 125g for 2 weeks to fight dinos on my sand bed. I only dose once per day when the lights go off as I didn't want to risk harming my shrimp. I dose 1ml per 10 gallons and I've also been stirring my sand bed every other day. It took about a week before I started noticing the dinos weren't coming back as quickly once the lights came on. My rocks are also looking much cleaner as well. I've been using a turkey baster to blow stuff off the rocks then I stir the sand bed. I'm going to continue for a couple more weeks to make sure it's gone completely but I'm glad I tried it.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was new to the hobby I asked the owner of my l.f.s. about the same thing, expressing the same concerns as you. His answer to me was classic. He proceeded to dump 1/2 a bottle into his 200 gl display reef tank. I looked at him and said.......so...its safe then.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimps, copepods and some other animals are easily killed by peroxide. And they are essential to keep the live rock in order. So if You want to use it against algae take out some rocks and store them in another tank so You can add those critters later on.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose peroxide and I just had a major pod explosion in my display tank, do what you will with that information.

It would be information that was useable if you specified details of your dosing. I dosed a 120G tank that was 3 years mature with 1ml per gallon of 3% peroxide for 7 days.

Cynobacteria was eliminated as were a healthy population of amphipods & copepod. Micro stars, spaghetti worms, Bryozone, macro algae and GHA survived and thrived.

Peroxide is not a magic cure for inadequate maintenance. It should be used with discretion and not indiscriminately.

Oxidators have refined 24/7 peroxide use.

[Shrimps, copepods and some other animals are easily killed by peroxide. And they are essential to keep the live rock in order. So if You want to use it against algae take out some rocks and store them in another tank so You can add those critters later on.]

@Stigigemla
Thank you for the above note.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back