Dose Hydrogen Peroxide direct to your display tank

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a good cleanup crew and test your water and then change the water when your supposed to and things will turn around and you wont need peroxide

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't make any sense.
Hydrogen peroxide is packaged in a bottle to prevent light from degrading peroxide into water. In that process, peroxide effected nothing.

when peroxide comes into contact with organics, oxidation chemistry takes place.

As I see it, peroxide that degrades in light is best used with lights out to enhance oxidation chemistry of peroxide on algae.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1ml per 10 gallons, twice a day. When lights are off. I do mine at 8am and 12pm.
How long have you dosed at that concentration?

Do you have pods in your system?

@MichaelReefer
That dosage rate is double what I used. After 2 days a decrease in amphipod activity was noted. After 5 days all amphipods & copepods were gone.

Do you have detrivores or shrimp in your system?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thing with pods is not typical. we have literally rolls and rolls of in tank dosing feedback with all pods ok

there are enough reports however of losses that I don't think we can claim blanket safety anymore, but it also seems safe to say if anyone partakes in peroxide use from our threads they'll have dead algae, not dead pods.

for some reason applications outside the scope of our threads log the losses, we do not have pod issues in the algae / perx threads I like to run.

our list of sensitives, animals not likely to endure 1:10 3% dosing/2 x a day or 1x:

-#1 lysmata shrimp and cousins, weak totally.
2 fireworms of any species
3 decorative macro for obvious reasons
4 xenia shrivels up usually
5 anemones deflate/angry but have never seen a loss
6 coralline may bleach out but it'll come back on the same spot, pigmentation picks back up quickly.

no fish, pods or even stony corals are listed on our sensitives.

Last edited:

dead_goby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can second the coraline bleaching out, hopefully it comes back.
If anyone cares, I stopped dosing 3 days ago and I now have a small amount of diatoms on the sand, if it persists or gets worse, I will re-enable my peroxide dosing program.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae and Phyto has been dosing low Levels of H2O2 into the sea for 1.6 billion years or so. There’s usually one outcome, more algae. I’m not surprised it’s bad for pods as peroxide can cause algal structures to become toxic / unpalatable. Lots of algae can tolerate low level doses as they have mechanisms to remove oxidants Produced by photosynthesis. Low light loving photosynthetic organisms do less well it appears, and decline as there oxidant defenses are less well equipped.

Dr. Aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dosing almost 3 weeks in my nano 1ML per 10gal no negative issues with fish or inverts. It’s cleared most of my algae issue. Still have some stuff on the sandbed. My anemone also hasn’t had any bad affects with it. I did one water change to try and help clean up the sand bed.

I believe it dissipates in the water rather quickly
how often were u dosing? are you slowing flow during dosing? do u run a skimmer? if u do ru turning it off during dosing?
Are u you every run into an issue long term?
thanks for any input.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was new to the hobby I asked the owner of my l.f.s. about the same thing, expressing the same concerns as you. His answer to me was classic. He proceeded to dump 1/2 a bottle into his 200 gl display reef tank. I looked at him and said.......so...its safe then.
Pretty much the cusp of information I was after. We have pure industrial grade H202 at work and use it to clean equipment and corals. I was just wondering if I can just use it at like a 50% water/Hydrogen Peroxide mixture and use the meniscus/ surface adhesion inside of a syringe to target very early stages of algae, bryopsis before it can take off. But this pretty much answers my query not to mention I should already know considering.

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I am gonna start dosing mine into the return chamber of my AIO with the lights off once a day. My sand is covered in dinos and now it looks like my clowns are sick with red/dark blotches on their sides. Prob pick up a uv sterilizer as well. I have been dealing with dinos for about 3 months in my 4 month old tank that I probably cleaned too much and fed too little to keep beneficial bacteria high enough.

Nate’sTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Been dosing almost 3 weeks in my nano 1ML per 10gal no negative issues with fish or inverts. It’s cleared most of my algae issue. Still have some stuff on the sandbed. My anemone also hasn’t had any bad affects with it. I did one water change to try and help clean up the sand bed.

I believe it dissipates in the water rather quickly
Was this daily, weekly?

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually use Hydrogen Peroxide to kill algae like Bryopsis or any hair algae. I always figured if I did it weekly it's basically the same as broadcast dosing a specified amount. Although I haven't really had to do it for a very long time, my tank is pretty stable and the corals syphon a lot of the nutrients.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back