Dosed Prazi but forgot to remove carbon

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all......need some input.
yesterday I did a freshwater dip on a juvenile regal angel and as suspected he was infested with flukes.
Today I added Prazi, but forgot to remove carbon. the carbon was in the filter for 1hr.
Do you think this took too much prazi out of the water in 1hr to be affective?

Tank = 15gal bare bottom Quarantine tank
filter = medium aqua clear and the carbon was in the filter, filter set on lowest setting (ie. siphone tube shifted away from impeller).
Again i took the carbon out about an hour after dosing the prazi.

What do you guys think? Run with it? or do something else?

By the way that little regal is eating like crazy so thats a plus!!!!!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you removed too much of the prazi, unless the filter had a ton of really fresh carbon in it.

Did you see the larger flukes, the ones that look like oval fish scales? If so, that's Neobenedenia, and you are going to need to do multiple treatments, as prazi doesn't kill the eggs, and the eggs can take up to 30 days to hatch. I've had trouble curing Neo with prazi, but it has worked for other folks. If even one egg is in the tank, it can start the infection back up again. I like to use half salinity for 35 days, but your regal may not enjoy that.

Jay

OP
OP
A

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Jay......ur making me nervous about the type of fluke....this was my first time doing a freshwater dip and thus i dont have anything to compare the size of the fluke to. I only have for reference what i have seen on youtube and i would say the flukes looked a bit bigger than what i saw in the videoes...i would say a little larger than sesame seeds.........the regal is a little guy and he probably had about 15~20 fall off of him.......i was debating between going hypo (salinity at 1.010) or using prazi and i decided on the prazi........but now im wondering if i should have just done the hypo????

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Jay......ur making me nervous about the type of fluke....this was my first time doing a freshwater dip and thus i dont have anything to compare the size of the fluke to. I only have for reference what i have seen on youtube and i would say the flukes looked a bit bigger than what i saw in the videoes...i would say a little larger than sesame seeds.........the regal is a little guy and he probably had about 15~20 fall off of him.......i was debating between going hypo (salinity at 1.010) or using prazi and i decided on the prazi........but now im wondering if i should have just done the hypo????
That does sound like Neo. You don't need to go that low for Neobenedenia, but if you are trying to take care of Neo and ich at the same time, you can go that low, but it is more stressful to the fish.
The FW dip buys you some time by dislodging the adult flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
A

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay how low should i take the salinity down to? 1.013? Also what is your opinion on the prazi.....should i do a second dose or add carbon now for a few days to remove and start dropping my salinity down to the required level? Thanks for all your help!!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a second prazi dose 10 days after the first one. Then, if you choose to go the hypo route, wait 3 days and start dropping the specific gravity to 1.012 gradually over a couple of days. Remember though, going back to full salinity needs to be done more gradually, I’d take five days.
Jay

OP
OP
A

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for ur guidance will do that and understand about raising salinity slowly will probably just raise it by adding SW as the topoff water.....when dropping salinity should i be using a buffer to keep ph up or not necessary

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for ur guidance will do that and understand about raising salinity slowly will probably just raise it by adding SW as the topoff water.....when dropping salinity should i be using a buffer to keep ph up or not necessary
That's a good point, heavily loaded tanks will have low pH issues in hypo. Be sure you have good aeration (not just circulation) that helps de-gas any CO2. Personally, I wouldn't buffer unless the pH drops below 7.8

Jay

OP
OP
A

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks its only one tiny angel in a 15 gal with a pretty powerful aquaclear in proportion to the tank size so maybe i will be ok without adding buffer....ill keep an eye on the ph and try and keep it above 7.8

OP
OP
A

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update......dosed the prazi on Monday 5/24, and he hasnt been getting better, actually worse......more twitching, etc.......so i decided to skip the prazi (water change and carbon) and go strait to hypo......over the last couple days I have been bringing the salinity down....by the end of today I should be at the target 1.012.

I already notice he seems to be doing better......less twitching and less time at the surface.....

The little guy is still eating well which is a big plus!!! Ive been soaking frozen angel formula in selcon, and or brightwells Angelixer food soaks to make sure he is getting a good amount of vitamins to help keep his immune system up.

fingers crossed that he will do well in the hypo.........for airiation, I have an airpump, and the aquaclear adding bubbles....I keep the water level down a bit so I get good airiation from the aquaclear.

Hopefully if and when he gets into my display he doesn't munch too much on all my SPS :) Maybe i will dump a few sacrificial LPS/zoas in there for him munch on instead of my SPS...........

OP
OP
A

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a pic of the little guy........i am not sure if he is an Indian Ocean or S.Pacific regal, but based on the cost 70.00 im guessing he is a S.Pacific (Bali) regal. He eats so good.....im feeling very positive so far about him!!!! Hopefully we can get rid of those fluke, because I do not see any other signs of parasites or disease.......

Last edited:

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all......need some input.
yesterday I did a freshwater dip on a juvenile regal angel and as suspected he was infested with flukes.
Today I added Prazi, but forgot to remove carbon. the carbon was in the filter for 1hr.
Do you think this took too much prazi out of the water in 1hr to be affective?

Tank = 15gal bare bottom Quarantine tank
filter = medium aqua clear and the carbon was in the filter, filter set on lowest setting (ie. siphone tube shifted away from impeller).
Again i took the carbon out about an hour after dosing the prazi.

What do you guys think? Run with it? or do something else?

By the way that little regal is eating like crazy so thats a plus!!!!!!
I have a regal blue that had black ick aka flatworms. I removed carbon and shut off skimmer and it took 2 treatments. Dosed then waited 3 days. Did 30 water change on day 5. Then dosed again on day 6 waited to day 9 to do another 30 percent water change.

OP
OP
A

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops the vid didnt work....here is a pic

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 25

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good point, heavily loaded tanks will have low pH issues in hypo. Be sure you have good aeration (not just circulation) that helps de-gas any CO2. Personally, I wouldn't buffer unless the pH drops below 7.8

Jay
Yeah this is true about the aeration. When I 1st dosed my clownfish looked like he was gasping for air until I took one on my poweheads and exposed it to some room air. It was scary. Also remember wrasses don’t respond well to Prazi

OP
OP
A

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a regal blue that had black ick aka flatworms. I removed carbon and shut off skimmer and it took 2 treatments. Dosed then waited 3 days. Did 30 water change on day 5. Then dosed again on day 6 waited to day 9 to do another 30 percent water change.
Wow...did that treatment work.....Ive never seen a fish infected with "black ick"........

OP
OP
A

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a freshwater dip first and that gave him a huge relief from the flukes.......but they came back full force and he started to struggle again even after about 3 or 4 days in Prazi.......so I made the decision to stop the prazi, and go Hypo.....and im glad i did........his fins have cleared up and no more twitching or hanging out near surface........

Jay has been a huge help walking me through things and pointing out that the flukes he has are likely Neobenedenia. And it seems maybe hypo is the best treatment for that particular fluke due to thier long life cycle.....

OP
OP
A

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this is true about the aeration. When I 1st dosed my clownfish looked like he was gasping for air until I took one on my poweheads and exposed it to some room air. It was scary. Also remember wrasses don’t respond well to Prazi
How big was your regal when you got him, and do you have him in a SPS dominant reef tank? Im wondering how much of a problem he is going to be with my sticks??

OP
OP
A

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a second prazi dose 10 days after the first one. Then, if you choose to go the hypo route, wait 3 days and start dropping the specific gravity to 1.012 gradually over a couple of days. Remember though, going back to full salinity needs to be done more gradually, I’d take five days.
Jay
Hi Jay -
So do you think the little regal will be ok @ 1.012 for 35 days?
Thanks again for all your help
Mike

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay -
So do you think the little regal will be ok @ 1.012 for 35 days?
Thanks again for all your help
Mike
Little regals are so delicate, I can’t hazard to guess. Most I’ve seen never even start to feed, or eat a bit then stop.
Ive lost track, you’ve done 1 prazi treatment and one FW dip? Does the fish have any symptoms now?
Jay

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...did that treatment work.....Ive never seen a fish infected with "black ick"........
That is just a nickname. It’s also called Tang disease. It’s nowhere close to being as bad a ick. It’s a flatworm that affects Tangs and clownfish mainly

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back