OP
A

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little regals are so delicate, I can’t hazard to guess. Most I’ve seen never even start to feed, or eat a bit then stop.
Ive lost track, you’ve done 1 prazi treatment and one FW dip? Does the fish have any symptoms now?
Jay
I have had him for about 20 days now........first week I did not treat with anything........Second week I did the freshwater dip due to lots of scratching/twitching/cloudy eye/ragged fin edges......and confirmed he had many flukes

the dip did make him look much more comfortable..........then a couple days after that I started 1 dose of prazi, but a few days after the first dose of prazi, I stopped because he was getting worse again (scratching and twitching and hanging out near the surface)....seemed the prazi was not helping so I added carbon and water change, and started reducing salinity starting on Wednesday of this week to hypo level (1.012). Yesterday was the first day at the 1.012 level.

he has been eating like a pig the whole time........he actually comes up to the surface and eats the food as I put it in the tank. I was a little surprised at how aggressively he eats especially from all the stories I hear about them......

His symptoms (scratching, twitching, hanging near surface) all subsided on Friday.....so now he is completely symptom free.....which coincides with getting down to hypo level......

In the aquaclear, I have a pretty good amount of matrix that has been in the QT tank for several months.....so I have a pretty strong Biological filter going in the tank. Also have two seachem ammonia badges in the tank to make sure i get no ammonia spikes.

so far so good.....but i just dont have any background about keeping a juvi regal in hypo (1.012) for 35 days....on the other hand......it sounds like if i dont do it.....those flukes will likely just come back.......anyway.....let me know what u think

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had him for about 20 days now........first week I did not treat with anything........Second week I did the freshwater dip due to lots of scratching/twitching/cloudy eye/ragged fin edges......and confirmed he had many flukes

the dip did make him look much more comfortable..........then a couple days after that I started 1 dose of prazi, but a few days after the first dose of prazi, I stopped because he was getting worse again (scratching and twitching and hanging out near the surface)....seemed the prazi was not helping so I added carbon and water change, and started reducing salinity starting on Wednesday of this week to hypo level (1.012). Yesterday was the first day at the 1.012 level.

he has been eating like a pig the whole time........he actually comes up to the surface and eats the food as I put it in the tank. I was a little surprised at how aggressively he eats especially from all the stories I hear about them......

His symptoms (scratching, twitching, hanging near surface) all subsided on Friday.....so now he is completely symptom free.....which coincides with getting down to hypo level......

In the aquaclear, I have a pretty good amount of matrix that has been in the QT tank for several months.....so I have a pretty strong Biological filter going in the tank. Also have two seachem ammonia badges in the tank to make sure i get no ammonia spikes.

so far so good.....but i just dont have any background about keeping a juvi regal in hypo (1.012) for 35 days....on the other hand......it sounds like if i dont do it.....those flukes will likely just come back.......anyway.....let me know what u think

That sounds more promising than I had thought. Smaller fish, with their different surface to volume ratio, have more issues with salinity change - thus my concern. I would keep it at 1.012 for 35 days. Siphon the bottom of the tank when possible, that helps remove the eggs. Be certain not to transfer any tank tools to your display, as the eggs are sticky and can be carried over that way.

Jay

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How big was your regal when you got him, and do you have him in a SPS dominant reef tank? Im wondering how much of a problem he is going to be with my sticks??
He was an inch long. Just a juvenile. Amazing fish. As soon as he hit the tank he forced my clownfish who always stayed near the overflow to start moving around the tank. Now the two juveniles are always swimming together side by side. Plan to upgrade to a RS 650 XL this fall

Attachments

• 53BE7856-A72E-4E35-B277-DE537F274277.jpeg
    53BE7856-A72E-4E35-B277-DE537F274277.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
A

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow he was tiny when u got him...i think my little guy is just a bit over 1inch.....still eating like a pig and now bathing in 1.012. Yesterday i saw a fluke right near his mouth falling off......so it seems like the hypo is working....besides the flukes i am not seeing anything unusual.....but hilding my breath......hopefully i can get him past QT and then into my display tank which is loaded with sticks.....hopefully he doesnt feast on them.....i may add zoas or random lps for him to munch on instead of my sticks.......

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back