Dosed vibrant for saltwater in my reef

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought Vibrant for saltwater from my lfs guy earlier and dosed my reef not realizing there's actually a reef version! We discussed my reef and the Vibrant so I assumed it was what I needed. Are my corals or inverts in any danger???

joe2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is a very mysterious substance. If you check reviews on Amazon, there's people claiming it saved their tank from ruin from algae infestations and those who claimed that it not only killed corals but even fish! However, I use it and have not seen harm other than to destroy the beneficial algae in refugiums. And as a vote of confidence....the guys from Unique corals I believe use it in their system.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My question is the difference between the saltwater only and reef formulas. Hopefully it doesn't kill my corals or inverts. Thankfully the tank isnt too stocked up at the moment.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is the difference between the saltwater only and reef formulas. Hopefully it doesn't kill my corals or inverts. Thankfully the tank isnt too stocked up at the moment.

They are fairly secretive about it (perhaps not fully understanding the product themselves), but the product seems to be a type or mix of bacteria. I have no information on suitability of different versions for different uses, or whether there even is a difference.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im about 50 pages deep in the 300+ page vibrant thread...the company says the only difference is saltwater is less than twice the strength of reef. People have way overdosed this stuff with no immediate ill effects. I'm thinking with only having dosed once anyways, I will be ok. 24 hours so far and everyone looks well. My water was crystal clear this morning.

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about 50 pages deep in the 300+ page vibrant thread...the company says the only difference is saltwater is less than twice the strength of reef. People have way overdosed this stuff with no immediate ill effects. I'm thinking with only having dosed once anyways, I will be ok. 24 hours so far and everyone looks well. My water was crystal clear this morning.

I bought "Saltwater" without knowing there was a "Coral" version. Regardless, I have great success of using it to get rid of most GHA from my 20gallon mixed coral tank. Most likely I could be wrong, I thought I read a post saying that the "Saltwater" version is stronger than the "Coral". That's opposite to your finding. If you can point me to the article (post), much appreciated.

2020-05-23 16.55.55.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I said saltwater is less than twice the strength of reef meaning saltwater is stronger...probably could have worded differently haha. Everything I read is from the r2r vibrant thread...many pages! I think assuming reef is 75% strength of the saltwater would be a safe guesstimate. Maybe.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back