Dosing ALK

Andynz2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new tank set up and my alk is a little low 7dkh, at 1.025 salinity. My RODI water at 1.025 is 7dkh with aqua forest reef salt. I’m slowly dosing alk over a few days to increase it to 9dkh. Is this ok?

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new tank set up and my alk is a little low 7dkh, at 1.025 salinity. My RODI water at 1.025 is 7dkh with aqua forest reef salt. I’m slowly dosing alk over a few days to increase it to 9dkh. Is this ok?
Yes, that should be fine for most corals. Just curious, have you tested your base alk and calcium with Aquaforest salt mix?

beachroadbum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be a problem at all. It takes some time to find what it takes to keep your alk stable where you want it. So keep testing every few days and see where it settles and find out what you need to dose on the regular to keep things stable. Sounds like your on top of things keep testing and also have a notebook handy and write down dates and alk levels. Having it written down will help at least always helps me when starting new tank. All the best !

OP
OP
Andynz2000

Andynz2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium no, alk yes, it’s 7dkh @ 1.025. I’ve only got two small plate corals in there atmo

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may want to consider using a salt that mixes Alk closer to 9 where you're trying to hit.

Depending on the size of your system and water change, you may be reducing the Alk and have to compensate by adjusting your dosing to get back up the previous level after every water change.

OP
OP
Andynz2000

Andynz2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may want to consider using a salt that mixes Alk closer to 9 where you're trying to hit.

Depending on the size of your system and water change, you may be reducing the Alk and have to compensate by adjusting your dosing to get back up the previous level after every water change.
I’ll just dose my salt mix with alk so it matches my tank

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back