Dosing cipro for SPS RTN/STN and LPS recedings?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is being running for close to 5 years and it was doing mostly great especially sps. Recent it went down hill without any major changes and friends suggested dosing the whole tank with cipro for possible bacteria infections.

never done it before and come here for advice. It’s a 120g sps dominated. Is this safe for all livestocks including fish, inverts and corals?

if so, how much do I dose and for how long? Water change after? Skimmer on?

Aqua Cipro is the one I found if that’s the right one to get

thanks!

salinity 1.025/26
Temp 77
Alk 7.5 (dosing kalk ato and two parts to bring it to 8.5 weekly)

mag 1330 (dose to 1400 weekly)
Nitrate around 13
Phosphate around .13

82F9BC23-2C6D-4CC8-BA7C-9CE519319C4D.jpeg 2F13BF78-531A-4F9F-8173-017D2D3F0D9D.jpeg DB3EACE7-1724-43D6-8AD7-5D15CFF3E397.jpeg C3815219-6AF6-4AEE-8E3F-9C723A4A0DDC.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I used. My tank is 80g. I dosed one dissolved 125mg pill 3x every other day for 6 days. 3 doses total at night with lights off. Remove chemicals media but skimmer can stay on.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be ok with all livestock. I dosed 250mg once a day at night in about 350 gallons. I did it for 14 days. Turn skimmer off at night and back on in the morning. It worked wonders for my Acros.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be ok with all livestock. I dosed 250mg once a day at night in about 350 gallons. I did it for 14 days. Turn skimmer off at night and back on in the morning. It worked wonders for my Acros.
Great to hear. I just want to know if there’s a recommended dosage because it seems everyone dose differently. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cipro is a remedy for STN I dont recommend as it can be helpful or harmful. Too many alternatives than solutions used in the hobby while many have a remedy of their own, first factor what caused it and do a process of elimination. Often its as simple as flow or light and things overlooked. Often siphoning dead tissue and brown gel will reverse the process.
Some possible triggers of infection are often a change in salinity, temperature and salt mixes. Additionally, Elevated phosphate, light and even new light and elevated alkalinity levels will be a higher risk to coral. Other minor factors will be low Dissolved oxygen, new corals especially leathers (which emit a toxin known as Terpenes), false test kit readings and newly added rock can alter chemistry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro is a remedy for STN I dont recommend as it can be helpful or harmful. Too many alternatives than solutions used in the hobby while many have a remedy of their own, first factor what caused it and do a process of elimination. Often its as simple as flow or light and things overlooked. Often siphoning dead tissue and brown gel will reverse the process.
Some possible triggers of infection are:
- Alkalinity spike
- Temperature spike
- Salinity spike
- Low dissolved oxygen
- Poor water quality related with phosphate levels up to 5 ppm
- Change in water flow
- Additions of sand
- Changes in brand of salt
- Bad test kits giving faulty results
- Levels of minor elements such as Iodine, Potassium, Strontium
- Light intensity
- - Changes in water flow
- Addition of new corals
- - Pesticides
- Airborne Contaminants or sprays
Agree but when you can’t really pinpoint what caused it and if cipro is mostly reef safe I am willing to give it a shot.

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear. I just want to know if there’s a recommended dosage because it seems everyone dose differently. Thanks

You can take the whole tablet and crush it up and mix it with 50ml of RODI. From there you can dose a little bit of it daily for 10-14 days.

From Aquabiomics - I used Ciprofloxacin at 0.125 mg / L. To achieve this I dissolved a 500 mg pill in 50 ml of RODI water, producing a 10 mg / ml solution (which I subsequently stored in the fridge). The aquarium system has 70 gal volume altogether (~265 L), so I added 3.3 ml of this solution to achieve 0.125 mg / L. I repeated this dose every 2 days for 3 doses altogether.

So with your system at 120 gallons you would need around 57mg for a total of 5.7ml dosed daily. I went scorched earth on my tank and dosed 250mg every day. However, you could play it safe and just mix up a 50ml solution and dose 5.7ml of it daily.

Dose it at night when the lights are off and turn your skimmer off at night. Turn your skimmer back on in the morning. Dose it for 10-14 days. If you have a bad pathogen/bacteria then you should see things turn around within a month or so.

**Edit - You can start with the 3 day dose and see how it goes. I did 14 days because I had nothing else to lose at that point. The point is, I went scorched earth and dosed for 14 days. Within days my pH shot up drastically and color came back to all pieces within weeks.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take the whole tablet and crush it up and mix it with 50ml of RODI. From there you can dose a little bit of it daily for 10-14 days.

From Aquabiomics - I used Ciprofloxacin at 0.125 mg / L. To achieve this I dissolved a 500 mg pill in 50 ml of RODI water, producing a 10 mg / ml solution (which I subsequently stored in the fridge). The aquarium system has 70 gal volume altogether (~265 L), so I added 3.3 ml of this solution to achieve 0.125 mg / L. I repeated this dose every 2 days for 3 doses altogether.

So with your system at 120 gallons you would need around 57mg for a total of 5.7ml dosed daily. I went scorched earth on my tank and dosed 250mg every day. However, you could play it safe and just mix up a 50ml solution and dose 5.7ml of it daily.

Dose it at night when the lights are off and turn your skimmer off at night. Turn your skimmer back on in the morning. Dose it for 10-14 days. If you have a bad pathogen/bacteria then you should see things turn around within a month or so.

**Edit - You can start with the 3 day dose and see how it goes. I did 14 days because I had nothing else to lose at that point. The point is, I went scorched earth and dosed for 14 days. Within days my pH shot up drastically and color came back to all pieces within weeks.
Thanks for the long write up!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

what would the dosage be for something like a 40-50g total water volume system?

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to dose at night to after lights out. Ciprofloaxin is light sensitive.
So I dose into the main display but I can leave my sump light on? Or turn it off. I am running opposite lights cycle with the sump.

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dose into the main display but I can leave my sump light on? Or turn it off. I am running opposite lights cycle with the sump.

All lights need to be off. Including your UV if you have one.

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having more or less the same strange STN recently, on mine i can observe small amount of dino(ostreopsis).
Would you have a Microscope to check that? Mine was totally not visible before I got such issue.

I have ciproflaxin and chemiclean but wondering if I should use it...
20221201_205925.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back