Dosing cipro for SPS RTN/STN and LPS recedings?

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having more or less the same strange STN recently, on mine i can observe small amount of dino(ostreopsis).
Would you have a Microscope to check that? Mine was totally not visible before I got such issue.

I have ciproflaxin and chemiclean but wondering if I should use it...
20221201_205925.jpg
I am on my first dose now I don’t see any improvement nor negative side affect, yet. I am dosing 10ml at night and plan on do that for 5 consecutive days for my 120g and 40g sump then do a 30% water change.

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on my first dose now I don’t see any improvement nor negative side affect, yet. I am dosing 10ml at night and plan on do that for 5 consecutive days for my 120g and 40g sump then do a 30% water change.
You're using a bit more than what's suggested or did you diluted it a tad more?
I'll dose some this night, let's see

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro is a remedy for STN I dont recommend as it can be helpful or harmful. Too many alternatives than solutions used in the hobby while many have a remedy of their own, first factor what caused it and do a process of elimination. Often its as simple as flow or light and things overlooked. Often siphoning dead tissue and brown gel will reverse the process.
Some possible triggers of infection are:
- Alkalinity spike
- Temperature spike
- Salinity spike
- Low dissolved oxygen
- Poor water quality related with phosphate levels up to 5 ppm
- Change in water flow
- Additions of sand
- Changes in brand of salt
- Bad test kits giving faulty results
- Levels of minor elements such as Iodine, Potassium, Strontium
- Light intensity
- - Changes in water flow
- Addition of new corals
- - Pesticides
- Airborne Contaminants or sprays

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most cases I’ve seen or experienced have been from NO3 or PO4 being too low. Typically, corals grow, yet the amount of food fed to the tank remains the same. The corals outgrow the daily amount of nutrients put in the tank and then they lose color and rtn/stn until the balance shifts back to where the remaining corals have enough nutrients in the water to survive.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most cases I’ve seen or experienced have been from NO3 or PO4 being too low. Typically, corals grow, yet the amount of food fed to the tank remains the same. The corals outgrow the daily amount of nutrients put in the tank and then they lose color and rtn/stn until the balance shifts back to where the remaining corals have enough nutrients in the water to survive.
Are you saying nutrients are lowering due to cipro? If not, my problem is def not low nutrients. Phosphate .21 and nitrate 16

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're using a bit more than what's suggested or did you diluted it a tad more?
I'll dose some this night, let's see
I soaked 1 500mg tablet into 50ml rodi like other suggested. Yup, I am dosing slightly higher and instead of 3 days I am plan on dosing it for 5. Some dosed way higher and there was no immediate side affect.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be ok with all livestock. I dosed 250mg once a day at night in about 350 gallons. I did it for 14 days. Turn skimmer off at night and back on in the morning. It worked wonders for my Acros.
That’s a pretty high dose, when it was dosed and now everything ok? So you dosed 25ml daily correct?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a pretty high dose, when it was dosed and now everything ok? So you dosed 25ml daily correct?

I dosed 250mg(half a 500mg tablet) every day for 14 days in a 350-400 gallon system. I had no issues, and things improved greatly.

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The major thing I noticed was that my pH went from 7.7's up to the 8.10's. Now, two months after the last dose, I am at 8.30.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Here is the breakdown of pH while dosing. You can see every day it was getting better and has been this way since my last dose.

1670008747784.png
I wonder why is that. I would expect mine will drop since my refugium lights will be off during the treatment at night. However I turn it on during the day. I usually run opposite

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why is that. I would expect mine will drop since my refugium lights will be off during the treatment at night. However I turn it on during the day. I usually run opposite

It's more than likely due to the elimination of bacteria. I believe my bacteria(bad) population exploded when I took off my UV sterilizer, and the excess bacteria will cause a drop in pH. I believe Cipro killed most of that bacteria and eliminated the source of excess CO2. Mike Paletta and others have experienced this same thing when running Cipro. It is a good thing.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more than likely due to the elimination of bacteria. I believe my bacteria(bad) population exploded when I took off my UV sterilizer, and the excess bacteria will cause a drop in pH. I believe Cipro killed most of that bacteria and eliminated the source of excess CO2. Mike Paletta and others have experienced this same thing when running Cipro. It is a good thing.
Nice to hear. Will see how mine going to be

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: it’s being two days and so far, so far no casualties yet and no visible improvements also. Here’s how I did and will be doing the same (due to my work schedule being suck)

120g with a 40g sump. Dissolved 1 500mg tablet into 50ml rodi.

day 1: dosed 10ml into the display at about 10pm (skimmer, reactor with carbon/gfo, sump light and display lights were off) then everything came back on at around 10am except carbon/gfo.

day 1: same as above but except dosed at 6am and everything came back on at about 10am except reactor.

will plan on doing the same for another day or two, then perform a 30% wc.

please let me know if this looks proper. Thanks

-JoJoReefing-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update: it’s being two days and so far, so far no casualties yet and no visible improvements also. Here’s how I did and will be doing the same (due to my work schedule being suck)

120g with a 40g sump. Dissolved 1 500mg tablet into 50ml rodi.

day 1: dosed 10ml into the display at about 10pm (skimmer, reactor with carbon/gfo, sump light and display lights were off) then everything came back on at around 10am except carbon/gfo.

day 1: same as above but except dosed at 6am and everything came back on at about 10am except reactor.

will plan on doing the same for another day or two, then perform a 30% wc.

please let me know if this looks proper. Thanks
Do you have any updates on the last cipro treatment?

pcorpion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be ok with all livestock. I dosed 250mg once a day at night in about 350 gallons. I did it for 14 days. Turn skimmer off at night and back on in the morning. It worked wonders for my Acros.

Back