Dosing Cipro: What brand? Does it matter... My battle with BJD

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dealing with a case of BJD and found this gem of an article (below) I want to give it a go but there is no reference to a brand of cipro (Ciprofloxacin)... I was gonna snag a bottle of Thomas Labs but then decided to take it to the forum.

Experimenting with in-tank antibiotic treatments for Brown Jelly Disease | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

I've tried all the other things I can think of... lugols dips, coral dips, french dips (not really) but I want to treat the water column at this point... 6 euphyllia down and I need it to stop.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the cipro from chewy. Works great for bjd, rtn on acros and I also use it for nems. No prescription need.

+1 on this same stuff I got as well. Good luck @BighohoReef man I feel for you bro hope it saves your corals.
I know in that thread it was a full system dose. I have since dosed my entire system using same protocols.
May also be prudent for you to give corals that you can physically see bjd or rtn or any signs of infection a cipro bath using formula I used.
Half a pill(125 mg)in half gallon system water for 2hrs at lights out.
I did a few bath for a few nights with this dose.
I floated the corals in tupperware in system to maintain temp.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fishguy242 @Eagle_Steve Gentleman, Thank you! Ordering! I’ll keep you posted on the results.
Please do keep us posted. I need all the data I can get for results from the treatment by others. This way, at some point, I can expand on the article you linked. Been using cipro for a very long time now for all kinds of marine things and my results have been great. Just need more data from others lol.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do keep us posted. I need all the data I can get for results from the treatment by others. This way, at some point, I can expand on the article you linked. Been using cipro for a very long time now for all kinds of marine things and my results have been great. Just need more data from others lol.
Hey Steve. Have you tried higher dose baths like the one I described?
I probably should have mentioned i only used that dosage bath on shrooms.
Have found articles in research that reefers where using similar baths for rtn in acro with great results.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Steve. Have you tried higher dose baths like the one I described?
I probably should have mentioned i only used that dosage bath on shrooms.
Have found articles in research that reefers where using similar baths for rtn in acro with great results.
I have dosed shrooms to the same levels as nems. 250mg to 10 gallons of water with no issues. My frag tank is currently getting 500 mg to about 120 gallons of water for 7 days. I have a bubble coral that has bjd and a few rfas in there that did not look so hot when they arrived, so decided to treat the whole tank.

Day 2 and no I’ll effects on fish, inverts or corals. Corals range from zoas to leathers to lps to sps. There is even a 18” merten in there.

Bubble coral is also looking better. A few heads didn’t make it, but the 3 that did are actually puffy and out today.

Here are some pics from just now to show the diversity of the critters. Lights just came on, so they are just all waking up.

8C684261-0165-41F7-8428-CBDBED850691.jpeg

0BE46F84-3DB6-44B0-9FA2-135E94D15D01.jpeg

85C07520-24C0-4B97-98FB-4831721AF631.jpeg

DF392C0A-AA84-4544-8A62-B5C1898C2EEC.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed shrooms to the same levels as nems. 250mg to 10 gallons of water with no issues. My frag tank is currently getting 500 mg to about 120 gallons of water for 7 days. I have a bubble coral that has bjd and a few rfas in there that did not look so hot when they arrived, so decided to treat the whole tank.

Day 2 and no I’ll effects on fish, inverts or corals. Corals range from zoas to leathers to lps to sps. There is even a 18” merten in there.

Bubble coral is also looking better. A few heads didn’t make it, but the 3 that did are actually puffy and out today.

Here are some pics from just now to show the diversity of the critters. Lights just came on, so they are just all waking up.

8C684261-0165-41F7-8428-CBDBED850691.jpeg

0BE46F84-3DB6-44B0-9FA2-135E94D15D01.jpeg

85C07520-24C0-4B97-98FB-4831721AF631.jpeg

DF392C0A-AA84-4544-8A62-B5C1898C2EEC.jpeg
Awesome. What kind of water change will you do on frag tank if any after the 7 days?
Yours is much higher dosage than in full system dose thread that was posted.
If I remember correctly in that thread it was more like half mg/gallon.
Great info ive ran across alot of research with reefers using much higher dosages.

My issue was not with BJD. Dunno what my issue was but had a cpl shrooms that where completely bleached, falling apart to the touch and just full on tissue necrosis I guess.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. What kind of water change will you do on frag tank if any after the 7 days?
Yours is much higher dosage than in full system dose thread that was posted.
If I remember correctly in that thread it was more like half mg/gallon.
Great info ive ran across alot of research with reefers using much higher dosages.

My issue was not with BJD. Dunno what my issue was but had a cpl shrooms that where completely bleached, falling apart to the touch and just full on tissue necrosis I guess.
I plan to do a 50% wc. I can do a 100%, but being as cipro degrades in light, do not see the need. The 50% will be mainly so I can vacuum the crushed coral and sand lol. 14” deep tank is a pain to vacuum.

As for the dosage, it is high compared to the article, but I did that for the sick looking rfas more than the bubble. It comes to just over 1mg per liter, so still not mag nem treatment levels.

The rfas are looking a ton better as well. All the originally sickly ones took a massive poo this morning and are actually puffed up in their tub.

For shrooms, it appears that it is some kind of bacterial infection. All the ones I treated were degrading and melting. Not super fast, but they were just slowly melting away. I figured what the heck, they are close to nems, let’s try this.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're both speaking my coral language. Decided to stop trying to be special with a mixed reef and go only LPS and Softies (mushrooms). Of course, when I make that decision a new euphyllia decided to melt and cause the current issues I'm facing.

Adding this to the playbook for tank treatments, I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

Appreciate you all taking the time!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to do a 50% wc. I can do a 100%, but being as cipro degrades in light, do not see the need. The 50% will be mainly so I can vacuum the crushed coral and sand lol. 14” deep tank is a pain to vacuum.

As for the dosage, it is high compared to the article, but I did that for the sick looking rfas more than the bubble. It comes to just over 1mg per liter, so still not mag nem treatment levels.

The rfas are looking a ton better as well. All the originally sickly ones took a massive poo this morning and are actually puffed up in their tub.

For shrooms, it appears that it is some kind of bacterial infection. All the ones I treated were degrading and melting. Not super fast, but they were just slowly melting away. I figured what the heck, they are close to nems, let’s try this.
Awesome. Would love to see a picture of a shroom you described. As well as how it turns out for them.
I have a frank and og bounce shrooms that I picked up as frags from other reefers. Same scenario as you just a slow gradual decline losing color and melting away on me. Ive tried the cipro bath i described but whatever is wrong with those particular shrooms. Cipro did not help them. Og finally detached and gone and Frank is following right behind.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Would love to see a picture of a shroom you described. As well as how it turns out for them.
I have a frank and og bounce shrooms that I picked up as frags from other reefers. Same scenario as you just a slow gradual decline losing color and melting away on me. Ive tried the cipro bath i described but whatever is wrong with those particular shrooms. Cipro did not help them. Og finally detached and gone and Frank is following right behind.
I pick up damaged or dying corals all the time, so next time I do shrooms, will let ya know.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya' all know i'm following and soaking in info..thanks guys.. :cool:
I was thinking about you and your shroom table. Ive talked to @BighohoReef about this a little but should probably spill the beans here too.
I know you have a bunch of shrooms coming to fill that 4x4. I'm assuming that they will most likely be wild caught?
Anyhow it would probably be a good idea for you to give them cipro bath wild caught or not. From what I'm gathering shrooms are highly susceptible to same ailments as nems.
ALL my shrooms get at least 1 cipro bath before introducing to system no matter what now.
Also should point out that as pretty as the bouncy ones are it seems they are the most prone to disease.
In my system anyway.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about you and your shroom table. Ive talked to @BighohoReef about this a little but should probably spill the beans here too.
I know you have a bunch of shrooms coming to fill that 4x4. I'm assuming that they will most likely be wild caught?
Anyhow it would probably be a good idea for you to give them cipro bath wild caught or not. From what I'm gathering shrooms are highly susceptible to same ailments as nems.
ALL my shrooms get at least 1 cipro bath before introducing to system no matter what now.
Also should point out that as pretty as the bouncy ones are it seems they are the most prone to disease.
In my system anyway.
My normal routine is to do coral dips and lugols dips for all new pieces, especially if it's from a vendor I haven't ordered from. Since the mushrooms are a close relative to nems it makes sense that cipro would be a good treatment. Seems like I'm adding another dip type to the acclimation process. I'll report out on this as well.

I'm curious since cipro disappears with exposure to light are there any side effects from using it long-term in your tank? Doesn't seem like there is a negative impact on fish or corals. I'd still do 20% water changes every few weeks, I'm just curious if there is a downside to the medication.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My normal routine is to do coral dips and lugols dips for all new pieces, especially if it's from a vendor I haven't ordered from. Since the mushrooms are a close relative to nems it makes sense that cipro would be a good treatment. Seems like I'm adding another dip type to the acclimation process. I'll report out on this as well.

I'm curious since cipro disappears with exposure to light are there any side effects from using it long-term in your tank? Doesn't seem like there is a negative impact on fish or corals. I'd still do 20% water changes every few weeks, I'm just curious if there is a downside to the medication.
I have no idea on that, but I can see how it could eventually hurt a bacteria population or create a bacteria resistant to it with continued use.

When dosing, I always do it at night when lights go out and turn off fuge light that runs opposite. Then just run fuge light during the day. Luckily I don’t have any ph issues, so it doesn’t bother anything.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've seen no negative effects one way or another.
If you check out @AquaBiomics thread that was posted here earlier they did a test on biodiversity before and after full system dose. From what I gather on what they found is that it in fact boosted the good bacteria and lowered or almost eradicated the bjd in system.
Hopefully they chime in here as mine is only second hand knowledge.
Just thought I'd add that I already do 20 gallon change almost weekly on my 140 total gallon system either way.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen no negative effects one way or another.
If you check out @AquaBiomics thread that was posted here earlier they did a test on biodiversity before and after full system dose. From what I gather on what they found is that it in fact boosted the good bacteria and lowered or almost eradicated the bjd in system.
Hopefully they chime in here as mine is only second hand knowledge.
That is a good point on their testing. I am curious as to how long you can dose without negatively affecting anything. I know cipro has saved a ton of corals for me.

Only way to know is to run a test and see. I am brave, but not that brave lol. I have no way to test the bacteria.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point on their testing. I am curious as to how long you can dose without negatively affecting anything. I know cipro has saved a ton of corals for me.

Only way to know is to run a test and see. I am brave, but not that brave lol. I have no way to test the bacteria.
You brought up a great point. I was also super hesitant to treat full system i went off @AquaBiomics results in thread. I am and would also be super concerned about a super bug that's resistant. They used super low dosage. But yeah long term I wouldn't run system like that and believe they only dosed 3 x. I dosed twice and couldn't do it again haha.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back