Dosing coppersafe

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi. i am going to treat my DT with coppersafe and just wanted to confirm with someone the dosing amounts. tanks is 210 and and sump is 40. sump is pretty full, id guess 30 gallons in there. baffles are 10".

so with the rock, im guesstimating my gallons are about just over 200. i know the rock will suck up copper so i'll have to keep an eye on it

i have the API copper test kit so i can keep an eye on it to be sure, but i'll start the treatment at 200g. they started showing signs of ich 2 days ago. everybody eating but tangs are fighting more.

i want to do a 5 day build up.

but the instructions dont make sense

it says 4ml per 5g BUT the bottle also says 473ml treats 378

could be something off on conversion but if i do a ratio? 4/5 does not equal 473/378.. when i divide 473 by 378 and then multiply that product by 5, i do not get 4. is my math wrong or?

ok anyway, i'll stick 4/5 right now. so im getting 160 ml for 200g. break that down to 5 days and im at 32 ml/day x 5

is that alright? would you skip testing until day 4?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you have it correct now @ 250ml / 200G
Ensure you have enough on hand or available locally if you plan on water changes.

Consider buying a Hanna HI702 for greater accuracy than the API kit.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t that familiar with Coppersafe so I went to Fritz website:

Directions & Dosage​

Use 1 tsp/5 ml per 4 U.S. gallons (15 L), 1 cup (8oz) per 190 U.S. gallons (337.5 L). Treats water for one month. Treat replacement water.
Special notes on Coppersafe® solution: Copper levels are commonly measured as free or as total copper
Precautions:
Remove invertebrates from tank. Coppersafe® may be harmful to plants and snails.

How has this worked out for you? Is your system FOWLR?

[Do not use Coppersafe® solution with fish species that have a known sensitivity to copper.
Coppersafe® solution may cause an adverse reaction with some sensitive invertebrates. Invertebrates without an exoskeleton such as jellyfish, anemones, etc. should be removed before treatment. Coppersafe® solution may be harmful to plants, amphibians and snails.

[[[Not recommended for use in reef aquariums.]]]

Do not overdose.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. For aquarium use only.
THIS PRODUCT IS INTENDED FOR THE EXCLUSIVE USE WITH ORNAMENTAL FISH AND/ OR OTHER ORNAMENTAL ORGANISMS AND IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE WITH HUMANS OR FISH FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.
Note: Consult a veterinarian or fish expert for assistance in diagnosis of disease causing organisms and treatment options.]

OP
OP
mickeysreef <*))))<

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t that familiar with Coppersafe so I went to Fritz website:

Directions & Dosage​

Use 1 tsp/5 ml per 4 U.S. gallons (15 L), 1 cup (8oz) per 190 U.S. gallons (337.5 L). Treats water for one month. Treat replacement water.
Special notes on Coppersafe® solution: Copper levels are commonly measured as free or as total copper
Precautions:
Remove invertebrates from tank. Coppersafe® may be harmful to plants and snails.

How has this worked out for you? Is your system FOWLR?

[Do not use Coppersafe® solution with fish species that have a known sensitivity to copper.
Coppersafe® solution may cause an adverse reaction with some sensitive invertebrates. Invertebrates without an exoskeleton such as jellyfish, anemones, etc. should be removed before treatment. Coppersafe® solution may be harmful to plants, amphibians and snails.

[[[Not recommended for use in reef aquariums.]]]

Do not overdose.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. For aquarium use only.
THIS PRODUCT IS INTENDED FOR THE EXCLUSIVE USE WITH ORNAMENTAL FISH AND/ OR OTHER ORNAMENTAL ORGANISMS AND IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE WITH HUMANS OR FISH FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.
Note: Consult a veterinarian or fish expert for assistance in diagnosis of disease causing organisms and treatment options.]

lucky you!!! im still using it believe it or not. running it in 4 tanks atm. had the main tank ich free and a friend of mine gave me a coral on a rock that i did not qt because he said his tank was ich free... next day spot on my powder blue.

so im setting up a 300g and started buying more fish, and im putting everyone through it. im a ways off. still need to build a stand, paint a room and do the floor

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lucky you!!! im still using it believe it or not. running it in 4 tanks atm. had the main tank ich free and a friend of mine gave me a coral on a rock that i did not qt because he said his tank was ich free... next day spot on my powder blue.

so im setting up a 300g and started buying more fish, and im putting everyone through it. im a ways off. still need to build a stand, paint a room and do the floor

Do you have invertebrate or shrimp in your tanks? With a 210 & starting up a 300G I would say you are a dedicated hobiest. Kudos to your passion.

OP
OP
mickeysreef <*))))<

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crabs will survive copper snails and other inverts will not. after i removed all the ich from the 210 the first time i added snails and shrimps with no problems. right now there might just be a crab or two in there. i have a 29g that i do not qt, there are fish and corals, snails crabs nems. that tank is an absolute mess. its disaster after disaster with that one. fish swimming around looking at me wondering when the nuclear apocalypse is going to end haha

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back