Dosing Dry Powder (Reef Roids) viw Apex auto feeder...

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I travel a lot for weeks to months - and I want to feed my SPS. I have a friend who feeds the fish a couple times a week spirulina and LFC reef rods as not too get too neglected.

That said I have a 240 and an extra apex feeder. I dose phyto, zooplankton, and fuel (all seachem) but its so little in the scheme of things and bottle might last two weeks. So they get some of that but it settles in the bottle too. I was thinking it would be good to get some more food plus the tank can handle the nitrates.

I was wondering if the surface agitation was enough, maybe I could dose some powder via the feeder. If needed maybe to the return pump section for better mixing potential (also easier to program to dose at night. Maybe have a silica packet in it to ensure it doesnt clump. Has anyone done this? I saw some posts similar but nothing with results posted...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an interesting idea (I haven't tried this myself). You would probably want the bare minimum dispense setting. I'd also recommend a feeder ring to ensure it gets sucked down into the tank and not directly into the overflow.

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an interesting idea (I haven't tried this myself). You would probably want the bare minimum dispense setting. I'd also recommend a feeder ring to ensure it gets sucked down into the tank and not directly into the overflow.
Yea, avast has a tube that goes into the water to ensure this. thats worth some tinkering.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back