Dosing for just two lps?

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed after this weeks water change my calcium levels are at 380 instead of the 400 it was 2 days ago. I do a 3 gallon water change on my 36 gallon cause I have 30 lbs of sand and 30 of rock so I figured it was enough. Should I start dosing for just 2 lps or maybe do a slightly larger water change? I'm just scared that with dosing ill freak out the coral and they'll die or something.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For two corals ... I would not be highly concerned however you can more than fix this with 10% water changes weekly. Assure you are using reef salt with higher contents such as reef crystals, Fritz Pro, Coralife, etc

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean, i do 15 % water changes weekly thats why im not sure whats going on. is that salt not good?

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fine, do you mix the salt up before you use it? If not try that and keep your usual routine and see if it changes if you’re not comfortable dosing

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mix it up a night before cause my water comes out of the sink very cold, next day its at room temp and fully mixed and dissolved. today however i had to add a little more salt due to salinity difference i waited til it was clear to the naked eye but im still left with a slight fog in the water. should i just retest when its all clear, could it just not all be dissolved yet?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the time to start dosing, dripping, whatever IMO when you have little livestock, just to figure it out with less lives on the line.

But you also don't have the demand yet with a couple of corals so you could get by with just WC's.

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the time to start dosing, dripping, whatever IMO when you have little livestock, just to figure it out with less lives on the line.

But you also don't have the demand yet with a couple of corals so you could get by with just WC's.
I tomorrow its still at 380 ill dose for 10 mg alk has stayed in the same place its cool just to dose calcium right?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using, 400 to 380 might be test error.
Watch the trend; what is the next measurement, 360? Then you might infer calcium uptake and begin dosing, if that's in your long term plans.
I started with 2 part, like b ionic after a few months.

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snag some All for Reef and start dosing minimally until your Alk and CA stabilize. You'll need to dose or use water changes to replace loss, but as long as you have enough light for the LPS, something else will fill the gap in consumption, ie Coralline algae. So you'll need to dose eventually anyway.

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using, 400 to 380 might be test error.
Watch the trend; what is the next measurement, 360? Then you might infer calcium uptake and begin dosing, if that's in your long term plans.
I started with 2 part, like b ionic after a few months.
API so i have to do multiple every time to make sure

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use instant ocean, i do 15 % water changes weekly thats why im not sure whats going on. is that salt not good?
Its good salt but formulated more for saltwater application than reef not to say it would not work in reef setting. Before assuming that its the salt, take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test for you to assure youre not getting a false reading.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Snag some All for Reef and start dosing minimally until your Alk and CA stabilize. You'll need to dose or use water changes to replace loss, but as long as you have enough light for the LPS, something else will fill the gap in consumption, ie Coralline algae. So you'll need to dose eventually anyway.
How old is your tank. Do you have coraline algae?

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@RedReefer My latest tank is a little over 2 months old, with Coralline busting out quite literally everywhere on the rock, pumps, etc. (Build Thread, CADE 1500) ... (Why?)
The coralline will soak up the cal/alk...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back