Dosing for just two lps?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of great advice here. You’re not consuming a lot so I’d continue with 15% water changes. If you’re really feeling the urge I’m guessing you don’t really need a doser.

Does your Alk change as well? Usually Alk and Ca are consumed together

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank. Do you have coraline algae?
i can see a couple spots of the green coralline from a frag i got, tanks 3 months old so i dont know what could even be consuming 20 mg of calcium in 2 days ive been testing for weeks and everything has been fine

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of great advice here. You’re not consuming a lot so I’d continue with 15% water changes. If you’re really feeling the urge I’m guessing you don’t really need a doser.

alk stays put at 9

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

And when you dose one you should always dose the other equally....

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when you dose one you should always dose the other equally....
@RedReefer My latest tank is a little over 2 months old, with Coralline busting out quite literally everywhere on the rock, pumps, etc. (Build Thread, CADE 1500) ... (Why?)
i havent even had the chance to seed mine with purple pink coralline, and i always thought as long as alk was within range i can dose calcium alone

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on getting a grip on dosing and measurements now while consumption is low. Kalk or all for reef are easy choices for low consumption imo and deliver alk and calc in equal doses so that the ionic balance doesn’t get too out of whack. Highly recommend both and forming a routine instead of testing and reactionary dosing which will drive you insane...

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i havent even had the chance to seed mine with purple pink coralline, and i always thought as long as alk was within range i can dose calcium alone
Don’t waste your money on seeding, just scrape some off a frag or a snail shell whatever has some on it and crush it up and pour it in front of a power head, it’ll seed itself

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had been thinking about doing that to a snail that has a bit of pink on it , literally just bought a tooth brush for it lol how long do you think i should leave uv and skimmer off for after brushing the snail?

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my alk is still sitting at 9, unless it takes longer to lose it after a calcium dose
Test all your parems (mag, calc, alk). Dose to the desired numbers you’re wanting (within 1dkh alk 20 calc in 24 hours to reduce stress). Then test again in 4 days and divide the numbers and youll have a daily usage. ( this is what redsea recommends)..then test weekly or whatever you’re comfortable with. My dosages are changing as my corals/coralline grows.
I don’t dose alk and calc at the same amount, my tank uses alk much quicker and my WCs supplement my calc usage much more then alk.

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds like a plan thank you, for some reason dosing just gives me this anxiety like im gonna kill something, but this doesnt seem so crazy :)

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had been thinking about doing that to a snail that has a bit of pink on it , literally just bought a tooth brush for it lol how long do you think i should leave uv and skimmer off for after brushing the snail?
You’ll probably need a knife or something rigid to scrape it off, toothbrush likely won’t do it. When I did it I just scraped some off a shell into a shot glass with tank water and crushed it up, turned off my overflow and dumped it in front of a power head and let it circulate for like 5 mins..it’s growing everywhere now. Took maybe a week or 2 to see any noticeable spots when I did it.

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds like a plan thank you, for some reason dosing just gives me this anxiety like im gonna kill something, but this doesnt seem so crazy :)
It did for me too when I started, I tested daily just to make sure I wasn’t messing it up.
Don’t dose calc and alk at the same time either if you didn’t know already, and if you can don’t dose large amounts all at once, like once you figure out the daily usage try and spread it out so you’re not having spikes

Back