OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come to the conclusion that my test was acting up do to slight undissolved particles after my water change, sitting at 410 now after my 10mg dose, thanks to everyone that chimed in its much appreciated

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do realize that corals uptake Ca and alk at roughly the same rate. I believe the math is 18 ppm alk (1.0 dkh) and 7 ppm Ca, or thereabouts. In other words, a 2 dkh drop would also result in a Ca drop of around 14 ppm. Note: this assumes the reduction is due to coral uptake. Obviously, if you did a large w/c with make-up water that was very high in one and very low in the other, that could also make a difference. That said, I use IO mixed to around 1.026, and I manage my Ca/alk only with balanced Ca/alk additions (kalk and Ca reactor). Any increases/decreases I see in alk affects Ca in a predictable manner and vice versa. Therefore, I know that my use of IO is not causing imbalances of Ca/alk. Also, Ca and alk can get out-of-whack if you let Mg get too low. To be safe and not have to worry about your test kit being extremely accurate, you should keep your Mg at a minimum of 1300 ppm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
part of the reason i was so baffled, alk hadnt budged. i need to get some tests this upcoming payday so i can be on top of every trace element going foward and thanks for your 2 cents

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back