Dosing frozen food through a doser

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello. SO lets say I want to dose frozen food through one of the heads on my dp4 doser. Lets say the particles are small enough to go through the tubing. Will the doser work. I plan to have a cup with rodi ice cubes in it with thawed out frozen food in it to feed throughout the day. Do you think this will work? I know all the food will sink to the bottom.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. SO lets say I want to dose frozen food through one of the heads on my dp4 doser. Lets say the particles are small enough to go through the tubing. Will the doser work. I plan to have a cup with rodi ice cubes in it with thawed out frozen food in it to feed throughout the day. Do you think this will work? I know all the food will sink to the bottom.

This should work fine if you have the end of the tubing down near the bottom of the cup (and of course small enough particles as you said). I know some public aquariums dose thawed food for planktivores using dosing pumps. If you're worried about keeping the food suspended in the container (and thus the dose more consistent), you could always run a line from an air pump into it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The peristaltic heads will crush the food. If that's not a big deal, then it should work fine. Diaphragm pump would be better in my view.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok. Now the question is how should I iuntroduced it into the tank. I should do it through the main display and not the sump right?

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if I can use one of the small compact fridges that can ho9ld like 6 cans. Can get one from amazon for about 40$. I would drill one hole holding two lines one for an air pump and one for the intake of a dosing line that connects to the food. Then the unit will sit in my stand (which may cause condensaation issues...But that would be the basic setup for the auto food thing. Then I could defrost the food for a couple days and keep it good at a nice cool 33 degress. Ideas?

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago on reefcentral there was a guy who was trying to get an NPS dominated system going - and he had quite a bit of success. Part of the problem for him was he needed to constantly add food through a dosing pump to feed the tank throughout the day.

He mixed a variety of frozen and live foods (planktons) and added some water to it to make a slurry. This was kept in a container on a stir plate which was then placed inside of one of those tiny dorm room refrigerators. He cut holes into the refrigerator for a 1” pipe to run through it. The pipe was the return line out of his sump. The dosing pump, which also was in the refrigerator, dosed directly into this pipe.

Everything was kept in the refrigerator so as to avoid any spoilage from food sitting in the dosing pump line. If memory serves me right, I believe he could keep thawed food for about a week in the refrigerator before it would start to turn bad.

I’ll see if I can track down his old build thread on reefcentral.

serez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to dose nyos gold pods and nothing passes my pump just blocked. I have the D-D pro doser kamoer head. What kind of dosing pump can pass larger particles??

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back