Dosing H2O2 AND Ozone?

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, all Divers Den fish in 2.5 month old reef, all fish have been acting fine, however just a few days ago my Midas Blenny has been in the water column more and saw him flash a couple times a day and yesterday I saw probably 30 spots on him so I freaked out, shut down ozone, UV, Skimmer and carbon and dosed ruby reef rally after failing to catch him.

Today no spots (maybe I saw sand yesterday) but still in WC more than usual and he bit his tail once after an hour of monitoring, all fish and shrimp still eating/acting fine.

Anyway water quality is good as I JUST was going to add frags
Water quality before treatment
Temp-76 (double verified)
Ph-8
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
Phosphate .10
Salinity 1.025 (refract just calibrated)
ORP 320 (calibrated)
.20 Mg/hr Ozone with effluent carbon treated
125 system gallons

2 small Occ. Clowns
1 Midas blenny
1 tiny Molly miller blenny
1 tiny Monster Goby
1 exquisite fairy wrasse 4.5"
2 Flasher wrasse 2.5-3.5"
2 Adult Scarlet skunk Shrimp

Today ORP is only 250

So I will be discontinuing ruby reef today in fear of killing Skunk shrimp and CUC along with coral in favor of food grade Hydrogen peroxide dosing after ruby reef is absorbed by carbon.

I will continue to try to catch the blenny and leave the rest as I can't confirm what I'm dealing with yet.

Anyway I don't know if it is safe to run OZONE and H202 at the same time, I would love to keep running it as it skims and cleans the water well and I just spent $250 on it.

Reason I ask is I found a document stating H202 bubbled through ozone may create a hyper-active molecule. I plan on dosing H2O2 indefinitely at very low doses after therapeutic treatment.

I think I got whatever this is from 2 snails from my LFS not divers den.

Hopefully flukes/ich and not brook or velvet.

Less than 3 months in and the nightmare begins

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, all Divers Den fish in 2.5 month old reef, all fish have been acting fine, however just a few days ago my Midas Blenny has been in the water column more and saw him flash a couple times a day and yesterday I saw probably 30 spots on him so I freaked out, shut down ozone, UV, Skimmer and carbon and dosed ruby reef rally after failing to catch him.

Today no spots (maybe I saw sand yesterday) but still in WC more than usual and he bit his tail once after an hour of monitoring, all fish and shrimp still eating/acting fine.

Anyway water quality is good as I JUST was going to add frags
Water quality before treatment
Temp-76 (double verified)
Ph-8
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
Phosphate .10
Salinity 1.025 (refract just calibrated)
ORP 320 (calibrated)
.20 Mg/hr Ozone with effluent carbon treated
125 system gallons

2 small Occ. Clowns
1 Midas blenny
1 tiny Molly miller blenny
1 tiny Monster Goby
1 exquisite fairy wrasse 4.5"
2 Flasher wrasse 2.5-3.5"
2 Adult Scarlet skunk Shrimp

Today ORP is only 250

So I will be discontinuing ruby reef today in fear of killing Skunk shrimp and CUC along with coral in favor of food grade Hydrogen peroxide dosing after ruby reef is absorbed by carbon.

I will continue to try to catch the blenny and leave the rest as I can't confirm what I'm dealing with yet.

Anyway I don't know if it is safe to run OZONE and H202 at the same time, I would love to keep running it as it skims and cleans the water well and I just spent $250 on it.

Reason I ask is I found a document stating H202 bubbled through ozone may create a hyper-active molecule. I plan on dosing H2O2 indefinitely at very low doses after therapeutic treatment.

I think I got whatever this is from 2 snails from my LFS not divers den.

Hopefully flukes/ich and not brook or velvet.

Less than 3 months in and the nightmare begins
You might want to ask Randy Holmes-Farley on the chemistry forum about potential chemical reaction between ozone and peroxides.
I’ve worked quite a bit with ozone, and recently did some bench testing with peroxides (posted as an article here) but I’ve never used them together.

Jay

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to ask Randy Holmes-Farley on the chemistry forum about potential chemical reaction between ozone and peroxides.
I’ve worked quite a bit with ozone, and recently did some bench testing with peroxides (posted as an article here) but I’ve never used them together.

Jay
Thanks for a lead!

OP
OP
Wyvern

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the good news is after a day of ruby reef, nobody is flashing including the Midas, I still saw him nip his tail twice in 2 days, there are no spots or anything, he might just be slightly neurotic when he sees other fish eat HIS food.

Ruby reef was carboned out, new frags are in and seem to be doing well.
I dosed .5oz of H2O2 and ORP jumped to 380 shutting down the ozone set to 320, after 8 hours ORP dropped to 310 and Ozone reactivated.
Everything seems to be very happy.

My tank is now incredibly inhospitable to parasites, I am taking great care in monitoring biological filtration as that's a lot of oxidizers.

Hopefully this also takes care of the dang dino's.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back