Dosing H2O2 to help fighting velvet in DT

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Display tank: 150G custom tank + 50G sump. started from August 2019. Some of the rock was from the old 15G nano started from July 2018.

QT tank: 20G long, established after the velvet outbreak for holding fish purchased from the boxing day sale... However more like an observation tank.

Some background: first sign of velvet discovered in DT around Nov 2019, after adding a ruby red dragonet (died two days after introduced), then one anthias started to show signs of velvet, and died the next day, another anthias followed, and a swallow tail angel, and a convict goby, a clown goby, a hippo tang died in next few days. What's left were one clownfish, one convict goby, one anthias that had obvious signs of velvet and survived, and a orange shoulder tang and a diamond goby that never got infected.

Then no fish were introduced to DT for about one month, no dead in DT during that month.

Since I am in Canada, I am not able to buy any effective medicine to treat velvet. So I am kind of giving up and hope for the miracle......

Then I added a bicolor blenny No signs of velvet.

And I purchased a Kole tang and put it in the newly established QT for observation.(At this time, I was trying to pick up the habit of QT), added to DT two weeks later without signs of velvet.

Then purchased two small tangs (hippo and purple) during the boxing day sale and put them in QT. Keep in mind that I was still using the DT water for QT, which means QT still has velvet.

Three weeks later both tangs in QT showed signs of velvet. And realized that I was still dealing with velvet.

Then I found some one using H2O2 treating velvet with success. So I purchased a bottle of 3% H2O2 from Walmart.

However, I got the dosage wrong for the first couple days in the QT. I was dosing 240ml/day of H2O2 in QT(20G), 120ml in the morning and 120ml in the evening, the sign of the white dust was reduced, but the color of the tangs were pale, thats the time I realized that I was dosing too much, then I reduced the dosage to 120ml / day, white dust was gone but color was still pale. Then I reduced to 80ml /day for next 5 days and all the signs were gone. Then I put them to the DT since I feed a lot in DT, hoping they could recover better.(I was not feeding much in QT because of the bio load)

Meanwhile I was also dosing DT 60ml/day. No signs of native effective on corals, however some copepods died right after the dosage.

Two days of them being in the DT, you guessed, signs of velvet showed up, but with my doubt, the signs looked like Ick as well(you guys can help identify in the following pics). But I kept dosing H2O2 in DT but with 90ml/day, 45ml in the morning, 45ml in the evening.

The pic were from the time both tangs showed signs of velvet or Ick.

Day 1 of them showing signs:
Also the time I started to dose 90ml/day.

IMG_20200119_210533.jpg IMG_20200119_210559.jpg IMG_20200119_210656.jpg IMG_20200119_210703.jpg IMG_20200119_210710.jpg

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today
I think they are ok now. Will keep dosing H2O2 at 90ml/day, 45ml in the morning, 45ml in the evening, see how are they doing.

Feels like H2O2 is promising.

Corals are doing fine, since I think they contains Catalase as well as fish.

Just my urchin looks not very well but still alive. Copepods floats everywhere after each dose.

However, all the gha in my sump are gone. Chaeto is fine as well.

IMG_20200122_194116.jpg MVIMG_20200122_194134.jpg IMG_20200122_194132.jpg IMG_20200122_194039.jpg

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get the fish out of your display for the lifecycle of the disease to be interrupted. I suspect the peroxide is at best treating the symptoms. If it's just velvet and not ich, it needs 30 days to die out without fish. And stop doing anything that could cross contaminate the display from the QT.

Ask around if any local reefers have any copper based medications.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cant get copper medications, copper sulfate could work, but you'll have to figure out the dosage to bring the quarantine tank up to the correct levels.

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not able to set up a big enough tank for all the fish in the DT, and maintain it for 3 month. And what is the point of catching them all when you can not treat them properly. All the fish currently eating like a pig, and hippo tang is no longer scratching. I will keep the current progression and not mess with it. Also I was already prepared for the risk of a sudden wipe out since last year when I find out I was not able to buy any velvet meds in Canada. So I decided to experiment on the possibility of treating a reef tank with H2O2. That's also the reason I post it here, to show the result to every body, and potentially avoid my mistake if it doesn't work.

juice79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had success dosing at a rate of 1ml/gallon for 7 days in my DT. mine is fowlr though so im not sure how corals would react.

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your most likely just witnessing the stage in between feedings for the ich parasite on the fish. They will start to looking bag again within the next week the when the new tormonts hatch and start to feed on the fish again. The only way your gonna cure this is by removing all fish for atleast 76 days and treating the fish with copper at 2.0ppm for 30 days otherwise your just gonna keep going the same route your currently in.

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your most likely just witnessing the stage in between feedings for the ich parasite on the fish. They will start to looking bag again within the next week the when the new tormonts hatch and start to feed on the fish again. The only way your gonna cure this is by removing all fish for atleast 76 days and treating the fish with copper at 2.0ppm for 30 days otherwise your just gonna keep going the same route your currently in.
If it's Ich, then I don't care, fish will take care of it themselves.

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I see your other fish that died help up well...be responsible man these are living creatures
Those were the fish died from the first velvet outbreak, which it's what I am currently treating. And Ich is nowhere near as deadly as velvet. And no fish died ever since the first velvet outbreak.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep dosing the peroxide for at least 30 days. Keep the tank clean, blow off rocks, vacuum sand bed. You want the peroxide getting everywhere. If you don't have it already I would add a UV sterilizer and run it at a maximum dose.

It's time to stop adding fish. Sterilize the qt and do it right. No rock or sand. Glass, water, filter, heater, thermometer and PVC/fake resin ornaments. I would start searching for ways to get your hands on fish meds and start accumulating a good medicine cabinet. If there's a will, there's a way.

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep dosing the peroxide for at least 30 days. Keep the tank clean, blow off rocks, vacuum sand bed. You want the peroxide getting everywhere. If you don't have it already I would add a UV sterilizer and run it at a maximum dose.

It's time to stop adding fish. Sterilize the qt and do it right. No rock or sand. Glass, water, filter, heater, thermometer and PVC/fake resin ornaments. I would start searching for ways to get your hands on fish meds and start accumulating a good medicine cabinet. If there's a will, there's a way.
I will keep dosing H2O2 till the corals start to show negative signs, otherwise it will be on my doser pump for a very long time. To the time I am 100% confident that there is no velvet in DT.

I was looking for meds since last year. No luck. Till the point more money spent on the gas than fish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back