Dosing kalk continuous drip or 24 larger dose’s

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked at almost every page on kalk dosing but no one gives a definitive answer on this, so I am dosing kalk with versa pump 1000ml. a day and I have it setup on a slow continuous drip. I’m maintaining Alk/Cal fine but no real PH boost, my question is if I change my dose to 24 times a day with bigger doses (41.66ml.) will it raise my PH if I do it this way how long does PH boost last in between dosing or is the slow drip the best way to go.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that it's best to dose kalk at night when the lights are off. That's what I do and it seems to help manage the pH swings

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked at almost every page on kalk dosing but no one gives a definitive answer on this, so I am dosing kalk with versa pump 1000ml. a day and I have it setup on a slow continuous drip. I’m maintaining Alk/Cal fine but no real PH boost, my question is if I change my dose to 24 times a day with bigger doses (41.66ml.) will it raise my PH if I do it this way how long does PH boost last in between dosing or is the slow drip the best way to go.
Thanks in advance
lol

No one gives a definitive answer on which brand of ice cream is best. It’s very frustrating. lol

There is no single best way to dose kalkwasser.

Dosing at night only brings up the nightly pH low and that benefits some tanks.

Dosing during the day only may stabilize alk the most.

Dosing 24/7 by ato can be easiest, but isn’t as stable.

Dosing 24/7 by dosing pump is more controlled, but more expensive.

OP
OP
Mike1970

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

No one gives a definitive answer on which brand of ice cream is best. It’s very frustrating. lol

There is no single best way to dose kalkwasser.

Dosing at night only brings up the nightly pH low and that benefits some tanks.

Dosing during the day only may stabilize alk the most.

Dosing 24/7 by ato can be easiest, but isn’t as stable.

Dosing 24/7 by dosing pump is more controlled, but more expensive.
Come on man, I was expecting you would be like no it’s simple hahaha do xx and kalk Magic would happen taking all the guesswork out of it hahaha now I have to start experimenting

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing the same amount via drip or hourly would result in the same average pH boost. Dosing hourly would just make the spike more visible if you have pH monitoring. Please correct me if I'm wrong @Randy Holmes-Farley

Are you only dosing kalkwasser or is it supplementing something else? 1000ml is not a lot if this is in the context of your build thread tank.

OP
OP
Mike1970

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing the same amount via drip or hourly would result in the same average pH boost. Dosing hourly would just make the spike more visible if you have pH monitoring. Please correct me if I'm wrong @Randy Holmes-Farley

Are you only dosing kalkwasser or is it supplementing something else? 1000ml is not a lot if this is in the context of your build thread tank.
yeah i only have a few small frags right now nothing to big i'm still stocking up on corals. i was doing 2 part ESV 48ml. (ALK/CAL) a day and wanted to give kalk a try.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i only have a few small frags right now nothing to big i'm still stocking up on corals. i was doing 2 part ESV 48ml. (ALK/CAL) a day and wanted to give kalk a try.
Ya you won't see much of a pH boost dosing 1000ml to 133g. My system is about the same size and I dose around 10,000ml of kalkwasser daily. I've got more than a few frags though. ;)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back