Dosing Kalkwasser and All for Reef

astillwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon AIO. Setting up dosing of Kalkwasser and All for Reef. Has anyone had experience with this? I am having trouble finding any information on dosing amount/times when using both based on my current water parameters (mag,calc,alk,ph).

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dosing both but not in an appropriate know my parameters all the time way. I was dosing only all 4 reef. Now I just dose a little kalk every hour and check parameters periodically.

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon AIO. Setting up dosing of Kalkwasser and All for Reef. Has anyone had experience with this? I am having trouble finding any information on dosing amount/times when using both based on my current water parameters (mag,calc,alk,ph).

I dose AFR and kalkwasser. If I was you I would dose the kalk and AFR in two different a dosing container. If you dose kalk in ATO your gonna ruin your pump. I am currently dosing 75ml of AFR daily AND 1800ML of kalkwasser daily and I’m about to up it to 2,500ml on kalkwasser.

I test every 2 hours and maintain ALK between 8.80-9.30..calcium stays between 410-480..MAG is all ways at 1450 and my PH stays between 8.10-8.35.

OP
OP
astillwell

astillwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose AFR and kalkwasser. If I was you I would dose the kalk and AFR in two different a dosing container. If you dose kalk in ATO your gonna ruin your pump. I am currently dosing 75ml of AFR daily AND 1800ML of kalkwasser daily and I’m about to up it to 2,500ml on kalkwasser.

I test every 2 hours and maintain ALK between 8.80-9.30..calcium stays between 410-480..MAG is all ways at 1450 and my PH stays between 8.10-8.35.
I will be getting 2 pumps and 2 liquid storage bins for each. Do you do anything specific about mixing the AFR and Kalk? I was reading that the AFR needs to be mixed thoroughly with a pump or magnetic stirring and the kalk is lightly mixed.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting 2 pumps and 2 liquid storage bins for each. Do you do anything specific about mixing the AFR and Kalk? I was reading that the AFR needs to be mixed thoroughly with a pump or magnetic stirring and the kalk is lightly mixed.

TM AFR - if you are using the dry formula you make enough for your storage container. It is mixed once and then left alone. You do not need constant mixing nor periodic swirls. You mix to your storage container size and dose. It is that simple.

For reference I use the dry formula. I mix up 2 x 1800 ml batches for my storage container which is 3800 ml. I dose 90 ml TM AFR / day into my sump a tick upstream from my returns.

It is a simple product to use and dose.

OP
OP
astillwell

astillwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM AFR - if you are using the dry formula you make enough for your storage container. It is mixed once and then left alone. You do not need constant mixing nor periodic swirls. You mix to your storage container size and dose. It is that simple.

For reference I use the dry formula. I mix up 2 x 1800 ml batches for my storage container which is 3800 ml. I dose 90 ml TM AFR / day into my sump a tick upstream from my returns.

It is a simple product to use and dose.
Thanks. This is just the info I needed. What about the kalk? Does that need any specific mixing or is it similar to the AFR.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. This is just the info I needed. What about the kalk? Does that need any specific mixing or is it similar to the AFR.

I can't speak to that as I do not dose or use Kalk. I only use TM AFR.

Apologies.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The safe way to mix Kalk, is to do 2 tbl spoons to 1 gal of RO, mix it up. THEN let it settle and only use the top clear portion. That solution is a saturated one.
ppl that use kalk mixers are a different animal and must be done properly.

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a video on this on my youtube channel. i use the powder and mix it together. the liquid is only for smaller tanks unless you wanna blow your wad on pre-made AFR. check it out

For Kalkwaser.. I have a 2.5 gallon jug I place in my sump compartment. I fill that jug with RODI water and and then dump the KALK powder into that container and i place the lid on it and just give it a couple shakes. BE AWARE if you over mix kalkwasser it wont work as good as if you hand mixed it. another thing when you have kalkwasser you need to have a lid on the container. last part is that your always gonna have a powder spread across the bottom. you don't wanna dose this stuff its called slurry. only dose the clear part. so elevate the tubing that is into your container so it stays off the bottom. other than that watch your evaporation because if your dosing allot of this stuff you could dose allot of fresh water causing salinity to go down cause your exceeding evaporation demand.

Do not mix AFR with Kalkwasser they have to be separate.

if you have never dosed AFR before it takes about 2 weeks to start working because AFR uses calcium formate and not calcium acetate. so essentially bacteria eats the solution and then you'll see the calcium and Alk start to raise as bacteria grows more.

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing kalkwasser for over a year now. I have the bag from BRS. Now all i do is fill my 10 gallon ATO tank with 9 gallons of water and that last gallon I mix 1 TBS of kalk for every gallon I added to the tank un total so 10 TBS of kalk. Mix it really good and dump the it into the tank. So 10 gallons of water with 10 TBS of kalk. Now what does mix will settle to the bottom so make sure your pump is at least one inch of the bottom of the tank as to not suck up all the undiluted kalk. Its very important that you try and clean that tank out at least every other month. Now what I also do is if it drops to lets say half-way I'll add just regular RODI water and whats on the bottom will mix up. Now keep an eye on your ph, And adjust accordingly depending on the amount of evaporation you have. I lose roughly 1 gallon a day to evaporation and this keeps my PH at a constant 8.2 - 8.3. Use a solid ATO with redundant back up sensors. It wont be the end of the world if it over doses because it will precipitate out of the water column because the water is only capable of absorbing so much kalkwasser however it will absolutely plug up every filter you have if it does that so you'll need to change out all your filtration any reactors and whatnot. But it is an absolutely solid way of maintaining your pH and calcium.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back