Dosing Lanthanum in water used in an auto water change system?

James Brau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if this question has been asked before.....

I do automatic water changes with a Neptune DOS. I have a 300 gallon (total) system and replace 7570 ml (2 gallons) per day. I use Live Aquaria salt.

I also dose Seakleer (Lanthanum Chloride) into my tank. I manually dose it into a turbulent area near the return in my sump.

I am wondering if I can add lanthanum to my 55 gallon reservoir of saltwater that the DOS uses to replenish my tank? (If so I could dose the 55 gallon saltwater reservoir once every month or so)

I am no chemist but I am thinking since the 55 gallon reservoir has fresh saltwater with no phosphates from the salt or RODI water, then the lanthanum won't react with anything until it is dosed into my tank via the DOS. Again, not a chemist just a guy with a chemistry question.

Thank you.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum chloride might react with bicarbonate iirc and make lanthanum carbonate.

steamman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you are supposed to drip in into your filter sock not just dump it in your tank. I was going to try it a couple years ago but never did. Probably because I don't use a filter sock. Still have a brand new bottle.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back