dosing magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate r.r. DIY question

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have read randys info on DIY mg mixes I have both magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate on hand. according to the info.

3. A certain mixture of magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate has no net effect on seawater's major anions (chloride and sulfate)......
"This recipe is preferred, but its advantage over recipe #2 is minimal in most cases."

im, not a chem person so i do not understand this statement? recipe 2 in the article is only (magnesium chloride) and if there are no net effects, why mix the two under recipe #3?

thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two magnesium recipes differ in the amounts of chloride and sulfate added to the tank.

They are different because one of them is intended to use with calcium chloride-based calcium additives that itself adds a huge amount of chloride. it tries to get to a natural ratio of chloride to sulfate added to the tank when accounting for this other additive.

The other recipe is intended to add the chloride and sulfate in the same ratio that is naturally present in seawater, so its not trying to correct for other additives.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK that makes cents. lol recipe 3 it is then. so is this still accurate using brs Pharma Magnesium Chloride (instead of MAG FLAKE) and Epson salt ?

Using both Epsom salts and MAG flake, dissolve 7¼ cups MAG flake and ¾ cup Epsom salts in one gallon of water,

20211020_124935.jpg
20211020_124945.jpg

Last edited:

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 79 44.6%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 21 11.9%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 50 28.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back