Dosing magnesium

cpballer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to increase my magnesium slowly from 1290 to 1350. I noticed that my cal and alk started climbing as well. Is that normal? Should i cut back on my alk and cal dose? Currently dosing 31 ml of alk(randys recepi 1 and calcium chloride for calcium). Im using seachem reef advantage magnesium.

vest596

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag, cal and kh/alk are all linked. I just researched this myself from what I found out you want to get your mag and cal levels correct and in balance with your alk before dosing for alk.

vest596

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to increase my magnesium slowly from 1290 to 1350. I noticed that my cal and alk started climbing as well. Is that normal? Should i cut back on my alk and cal dose? Currently dosing 31 ml of alk(randys recepi 1 and calcium chloride for calcium). Im using seachem reef advantage magnesium.
I recommend watching the alkalinity and calcium/magnesium videos by askBRStv on YouTube supper informative on the science behind it all!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag, cal and kh/alk are all linked. I just researched this myself from what I found out you want to get your mag and cal levels correct and in balance with your alk before dosing for alk.
Yes, they are linked in so much as how the corals are able to utilize these elements but, Mg levels should have zero direct effect on the levels of Alk and Ca as the OP was asking. Now the same can not be said for high alkalinity's effect on suppressing calcium levels.
For a more in-depth look at reef tank parameters, I recommend reading @Randy Holmes-Farley and his article here...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back