Dosing Oyster Feast, How Do You Do It?

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a bottle of Reef Nutritions Oyster Feast and was wondering if I should just follow the directions on the bottle or is there some hidden tips and tricks?I just added 4 drops today but my fish are greedy and ate half of it before it had the chance to spread through out the tank:cry:.My tank has a total water volume of about 50g and is mostly sps and about 8 chalice.How do you add your Oyster Feast?Also I do not intend on target feeding......yet:bigsmile:

I

inactive

View Badges
Broadcast feed it via powerhead/high flow area... or you can dilute it and target feed it with no flow. Fish will try and eat the concentrated drops, but usually are not getting it all. I broadcast feed it after daylight hours to encourage LPS feeding prior to hand feeding meatiness.

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so yesterday I put 4 drops during the daytime with lights on and the fish were all over the Oyster Feast like a fat kid on cake so I decided to dose 4 drops a couple of hours after the lights went out and I beleive it is better that way.I know the bottle says to dose at night when all the polyps/tenacles are fully extended but most of my polyps/tenacles are fully extended during the day too,except for the chalices.I usually see a few of my chalice with there tenacles floating around but tonight after a hour of adding the 4 drops they were all out every single one so I know they were getting there grub on.:)Now Im just wondering is 4 drops enough and should I do it every day or a few times a week etc.etc.?

nata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Target feeding works best for me , so the tank is not getting so polluted ...Zoas benefit by day , chalices by night

CookieJar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could definitely do more than 4 drops, at that rate the bottle will last you a year. :) I give a good squirt which is probably about 1/2 to 1 spoonful for a 200 gal. system. I know I could go more but this amount makes a 16 oz bottle last about 3 months. I also sometimes squirt some on frozen food I feed fish & corals before I thaw it in tank water. It's real good stuff, you can't go wrong. Consider also using RN arctipods, which are good for feeding LPS as well as fish, I'm not sure how much oyster feast LPS can capture since oyster feast is a very small particle food.

Novi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do a good squirt or two every other night around 10pm when the lights have been off for a couple hours. The fish are asleep and the corals gorge!

zking1987

colin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put atleast an oz in my feeding bowl along with a couple oz a phyto feast and a little chunk of cyclepeeze and dump the entire bowl infront of a vortech about 2 hours after the lights go out. you can see how happy your coral is the next day.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put atleast an oz in my feeding bowl along with a couple oz a phyto feast and a little chunk of cyclepeeze and dump the entire bowl infront of a vortech about 2 hours after the lights go out. you can see how happy your coral is the next day.

Do you notice faster growth out of your corals with this?

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you notice faster growth out of your corals with this?
You will get faster growth and color. You can feed your tank many types of food and get good results I found that certain corals favor certain foods. Reef Nutrition works great all around, just don't over feed, it is easily done with this stuff. I usually put oyster feast in first to stimulate then add other types of food 5 to 10 min after, and It is always good to feed at night when the lights are off.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all kinds of things simply because it is fun. Brine, cyclopeeze, reef chili, oyster feast, phytopheast. LOL I have my acans and dendros trained to take food during the day as well as my scollies and montis but the chalices and lobphyllia don't seem interested. Sometimes they will feed during the day. Usually if I squirt some oysterfeast towards the scollies they will open up.

The night feeding just doesn't work well with my schedule so like children I try to make my corals adjust to my schedule LOL.

Shadowramy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of our LFS have stopped the DT's products since they seem to go bad fairly quickly. I have used the DT eggs but really didnt seem much of a difference (although they are so small I really couldnt see much of anything).

jonzee2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feed at night when the lights go out. But if you can shut the water off to your sump and just let the oyster feast blow around in you tank for an hour or so. I say this because your skimmer will take the food right out of the water and the attempt to feed will be pointless. And as with everything in this hobby there is no real set way to dose it. You pretty much have to slowly bring the amount you dose up as your tank gets use to eating. I feed 2 tablespoons a night in a 72 gal and I have a buddy that feeds 1 1/2 tablespoons a night in a 29 biocube with no problems. So you pretty much have to feel your way through it but take your time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back