Dosing Phosguard - alkalinity dropped and torches are angry

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have experience with this? Haven’t changed a thing outside of using Phosguard to drop my phosphates from 2.1 to 0.3.

I change 20-30% water and measure alk weekly - always stable around 8.5-8.9. Somehow this morning Im reading 7.9.

Over the last few weeks my torches and hammers have been unhappy as well. My big green torch which has never been unhappy in the year Ive had him now seems to be losing flesh and you can almost see the flesh flaking off. His tentacles are also curling inward which I haven’t seen before.

What the heck is happening here and how do I fix? Do I need to add some sodium bicarbonate to get my alk back up to 8.5? Also should I stop the phosguard?

rest of param’s:
Salinity: 1.025
Nitrates: 23ppm
Phosphates: 0.3ppm
Alkalinity: 7.9

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple photos - you can see the pieces of tissue disintegrating between the heads there and the curled up tentacles.

F83C9E7B-E8E5-45FD-8A24-5B8B2C51EC6F.jpeg

4B8BDE48-C2D3-4548-B34B-3D6DC065DFF8.jpeg

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the big drop in phosphate is making your corals unhappy? I would presume dropping from 2.1 to 0.3 phosphate could possibly be a bigger shock to them than a 0.5 drop in dkh? I hope you manage to get things back on track.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is released aluminum.
That was my first hunch too - while the Phosguard did raise the aluminum levels (10 to 50 ug/l) I don’t think that’s high enough to be killing anything.

Aluminium52.46 µg/l0.10 µg/l+52.36 µg/l
high_med.png
View
Antimonyu.0.10 µg/l-0.10 µg/l
check.png
View
Bismuthu.0.10 µg/l-0.10 µg/l
check.png
View
Leadu.0.10 µg/l-0.10 µg/l
check.png
View
Cadmiumu.0.19 µg/l-0.19 µg/l
check.png
View
Lanthanumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Thalliumu.0.10 µg/l-0.10 µg/l
check.png
View
Titaniumu.0.10 µg/l-0.10 µg/l
check.png
View
Tungstenu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Mercuryu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have experience with this? Haven’t changed a thing outside of using Phosguard to drop my phosphates from 2.1 to 0.3.

I change 20-30% water and measure alk weekly - always stable around 8.5-8.9. Somehow this morning Im reading 7.9.

Over the last few weeks my torches and hammers have been unhappy as well. My big green torch which has never been unhappy in the year Ive had him now seems to be losing flesh and you can almost see the flesh flaking off. His tentacles are also curling inward which I haven’t seen before.

What the heck is happening here and how do I fix? Do I need to add some sodium bicarbonate to get my alk back up to 8.5? Also should I stop the phosguard?

rest of param’s:
Salinity: 1.025
Nitrates: 23ppm
Phosphates: 0.3ppm
Alkalinity: 7.9
There are a number of parameters that are missing from the typical report but given what you've provided and the pictures to me this looks like a challenge with ionic balance. The nitrates for example are relatively high compared to Phosphates which leads me to believe likely other things, even those you do not or cannot test for are out of balance also as a result.

The good news though based on the pictures looks like they're at the beginnig of being angry. I don't see the skin receeding to the head which would definitely be bad news.

So what I would do is SLOWLY work on the Nitrate levels along with the Phosphates with a relative target of 0.1 PPM Phosphate and 3 PPM Nitrate. Make sure that you also keep up with the water changes, that really helps to align the ionic balance outside of the nutrient transfer.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of parameters that are missing from the typical report but given what you've provided and the pictures to me this looks like a challenge with ionic balance. The nitrates for example are relatively high compared to Phosphates which leads me to believe likely other things, even those you do not or cannot test for are out of balance also as a result.

The good news though based on the pictures looks like they're at the beginnig of being angry. I don't see the skin receeding to the head which would definitely be bad news.

So what I would do is SLOWLY work on the Nitrate levels along with the Phosphates with a relative target of 0.1 PPM Phosphate and 3 PPM Nitrate. Make sure that you also keep up with the water changes, that really helps to align the ionic balance outside of the nutrient transfer.
Unfortunately this has been a tough week - I lost 3 torches, 2 hammers and a frogspawn as a result of all of this. I have rowaphos getting numbers back down but the euphyllia couldnt handle the drop.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Sad. Any theories on what really happened ? That is a massive phosphate drop from a crazy high number
How big is the tank

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this has been a tough week - I lost 3 torches, 2 hammers and a frogspawn as a result of all of this. I have rowaphos getting numbers back down but the euphyllia couldnt handle the drop.
Well that can definitely be an outcome unfortunately. Typically if you can move these numbers ever so slowly they'll do okay. I'm thinking in this case though they were already super stressed before you started working on lowering the numbers so it was more than they could endure.

Just an additional mention here, as you lower Nitrates or Phosphates, the Alkalinity will also jump up as you have seen. It'll actually go back down as the Nitrates and Phosphates go up. In short, the alk is working as an anode and balance out the chemistry in the micro-envionment the coral make for themselves. So as you lower these you need to test Alk frequently, my suggestion would be daily if you can pull it off. That way you can curb a significant increase in Alk and ward off more stress for the coral before it happens.
Unfortunately this has been a tough week - I lost 3 torches, 2 hammers and a frogspawn as a result of all of this. I have rowaphos getting numbers back down but the euphyllia couldnt handle the

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an additional mention here, as you lower Nitrates or Phosphates, the Alkalinity will also jump up as you have seen. It'll actually go back down as the Nitrates and Phosphates go up. In short, the alk is working as an anode and balance out the chemistry in the micro-envionment the coral make for themselves. So as you lower these you need to test Alk frequently, my suggestion would be daily if you can pull it off. That way you can curb a significant increase in Alk and ward off more stress for the coral before it happens.

Can you clarify what you mean "as an anode"? I that a typo? I don't see how that term applies.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using phosguard for a year and it never affects my alk.
I’d personally move to rowaphos - Phosguard adds aluminum to the water for sure. I don’t think it was enough to cause an issue but over time it definitely would have been.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Sad. Any theories on what really happened ? That is a massive phosphate drop from a crazy high number
How big is the tank
I can only point to the rapid drop in phos as the culprit - if it was alk I would’ve lost my birdnest, digitata and duncan Im sure. And when I say rapid - it was over the span of 60 days.

It’s a 20 gallon Red Sea Max Nano.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that can definitely be an outcome unfortunately. Typically if you can move these numbers ever so slowly they'll do okay. I'm thinking in this case though they were already super stressed before you started working on lowering the numbers so it was more than they could endure.

I actually saw the alkalinity drop from a consistent 8.7 dkh to 7.9 dkh - I dont think this was my killer though.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey.. Have you tested the magnesium?
Here are ATI results - magnesium should be fine.

SymbolValueCalculated reference valueDifferenceResultActions
Base elements
Salinity33.91 PSU35.00 PSU-1.09 PSU
check.png
View
Carbonate hardness7.13 °dKH7.50 °dKH-0.37 °dKH
check.png
View
Major elements
Chloride18982 mg/l18983 mg/l-1.60 mg/l
check.png
View
Sodium10547 mg/l10546 mg/l+0.90 mg/l
check.png
View
Magnesium1302 mg/l1261 mg/l+40.92 mg/l
check.png
View
Sulfur977.6 mg/l882.1 mg/l+95.54 mg/l
check.png
View
Calcium420.1 mg/l403.6 mg/l+16.49 mg/l
check.png
View
Potassium431.1 mg/l391.2 mg/l+39.95 mg/l
check.png
View
Bromine51.40 mg/l64.24 mg/l-12.84 mg/l
check.png
View
Strontium8.69 mg/l7.67 mg/l+1.02 mg/l
check.png
View
Boron4.75 mg/l4.22 mg/l+0.54 mg/l
check.png
View
Fluorine1.04 mg/l1.25 mg/l-0.21 mg/l
check.png
View
Minor elements
Lithium81.07 µg/l163.0 µg/l-81.92 µg/l
low_med.png
View
Silicon101.7 µg/l95.88 µg/l+5.82 µg/l
check.png
View
Iodine37.67 µg/l62.32 µg/l-24.65 µg/l
low_med.png
View
Barium64.45 µg/l9.59 µg/l+54.86 µg/l
high_med.png
View
Molybdenum10.93 µg/l11.51 µg/l-0.57 µg/l
check.png
View
Nickelu.0.48 µg/l-0.48 µg/l
check.png
View
Manganeseu.0.96 µg/l-0.96 µg/l
low_med.png
View
Arsenicu.1.44 µg/l-1.44 µg/l
check.png
View
Berylliumu.0.10 µg/l-0.10 µg/l
check.png
View
Chromeu.0.48 µg/l-0.48 µg/l
check.png
View
Cobaltu.0.10 µg/l-0.10 µg/l
check.png
View
Ironu.0.48 µg/l-0.48 µg/l
check.png
View
Copperu.0.48 µg/l-0.48 µg/l
check.png
View
Seleniumu.0.48 µg/l-0.48 µg/l
check.png
View
Silveru.0.10 µg/l-0.10 µg/l
check.png
View
Vanadiumu.1.44 µg/l-1.44 µg/l
low_med.png
View
Zincu.1.92 µg/l-1.92 µg/l
low_med.png
View
Tinu.0.48 µg/l-0.48 µg/l
check.png
View
Nutrients
Nitrate24.21 mg/l2.00 mg/l+22.21 mg/l
high_med.png
View
Phosphorus99.41 µg/l14.38 µg/l+85.03 µg/l
high.png
View
Phosphate0.30 mg/l0.04 mg/l+0.26 mg/l
high.png
View
Pollutants
Aluminium52.46 µg/l0.10 µg/l+52.36 µg/l
high_med.png
View
Antimonyu.0.10 µg/l-0.10 µg/l
check.png
View
Bismuthu.0.10 µg/l-0.10 µg/l
check.png
View
Leadu.0.10 µg/l-0.10 µg/l
check.png
View
Cadmiumu.0.19 µg/l-0.19 µg/l
check.png
View
Lanthanumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Thalliumu.0.10 µg/l-0.10 µg/l
check.png
View
Titaniumu.0.10 µg/l-0.10 µg/l
check.png
View
Tungstenu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Mercuryu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Randy Holmes-Farley I thought you wrote up something on your reefing page that debunked phosguard and leaking Al. I swore I read something like that or am I losing my mind.

Lol, no, I showed it did and Seachem tried and failed to discredit the work.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, no, I showed it did and Seachem tried and failed to discredit the work.

So I was losing my mind thinking it was the complete opposite. I was unsuccessful finding the discussion where someone highlighted this as a debunked myth referring the experiment. The take away was that it could be use successfully and not leak Al if it was used correctly. Specifically a good rinse and not tumble which would break the material and release the AL bounded in it.

I was able to get my Al down a bit over the last 6 months. Was trying to get a head of a raising nutrient issue and intended to go back to phosguard since I still have some laying around. Glad I heard your response here otherwise I would have gone back down the same road and adding back the Al I was able to reduce. I think I should stop hoarding and throw the phosguard away if there's no safe use of it given GFO is equally available.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was losing my mind thinking it was the complete opposite. I was unsuccessful finding the discussion where someone highlighted this as a debunked myth referring the experiment. The take away was that it could be use successfully and not leak Al if it was used correctly. Specifically a good rinse and not tumble which would break the material and release the AL bounded in it.

I was able to get my Al down a bit over the last 6 months. Was trying to get a head of a raising nutrient issue and intended to go back to phosguard since I still have some laying around. Glad I heard your response here otherwise I would have gone back down the same road and adding back the Al I was able to reduce. I think I should stop hoarding and throw the phosguard away if there's no safe use of it given GFO is equally available.
I will not use Phosguard again - whether it was the aluminum it released or the quick drop in phosphates - one of those 2 killed my torches and hammers. Tank is restabilized now using Rowaphos - another thing I am seeing is that these products do drop alk as well.

Back