Dosing phosphate - NaH2PO4 or HNa2O4P?

Wilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

I have just started dosing phosphate using Seachem Flourish Phosphorus, but I figured that I should follow Randy's suggestion and make my own stock solution.

Can you please take a look at the following and advice on whether I should get Mono Sodium Phosphate Anhydrous or Sodium Phosphate Dibasic?

Many thanks!

Cheers, Wilson

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All three forms of sodium phosphate (Na3PO4, Na2HPO4 and NaH2PO4) are fine if adequately pure. Both of what you list are adequately pure.

The only differences are very minor adjustments to alkalinity. Na3PO4 will very slightly raise it. Na2HPO4 is about neutral, and NaH2PO4 will very slightly lower it. None of the effects are big enough to worry much about since doses are small.

OP
OP
W

Wilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks Randy!

Do they have roughly the same amount of phosphate? Just trying to figure out a suitable concentration for a stock solution. I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 so approx. 300 L of water.

If I want to have a stock solution that I can add say 5 ml to raise phosphate by 0.01 mg/L. How many mg should I dissolve in 1 L of RO/DI water?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks Randy!

Do they have roughly the same amount of phosphate? Just trying to figure out a suitable concentration for a stock solution. I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 so approx. 300 L of water.

If I want to have a stock solution that I can add say 5 ml to raise phosphate by 0.01 mg/L. How many mg should I dissolve in 1 L of RO/DI water?

The differences are much smaller than unknowns such as how much will bind to rock and sand, but the NaH2PO4 has slightly more than NaHPO4 which has slightly more than Na3PO4.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
W

Wilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. Using Jame’s dosing calculator for potassium phosphate, I figured that if I make a solution using 1g of mono sodium phosphate in 500 ml of RODI water, and at 77% of the potassium concentration, a 5 ml dose gives about 0.015 mg/L phosphate in my tank.

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use this calculator for dosing and solutions, and use the entry for potassium phosphate. Then just use slightly less (77% of the recommended amount).

not to hijack the thread, but I have a question for randy. I got trisodium phosphate and am trying to use this calculator. I’m mixing 1/2 teaspoon to 3 oz ro water. Based on this calculator, if I add 1 drop if this solution to 50 gallons of water, the phosphate should increase by 0.01 ppm, correct? I currently added like 100 drops and I still have zero phosphate. I’m using salifert test kit that’s expires in 2021. I’m confused. What am I doing wrong?

3AA3BEB6-33D8-4D22-908F-7483045C4EBE.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to hijack the thread, but I have a question for randy. I got trisodium phosphate and am trying to use this calculator. I’m mixing 1/2 teaspoon to 3 oz ro water. Based on this calculator, if I add 1 drop if this solution to 50 gallons of water, the phosphate should increase by 0.01 ppm, correct? I currently added like 100 drops and I still have zero phosphate. I’m using salifert test kit that’s expires in 2021. I’m confused. What am I doing wrong?

3AA3BEB6-33D8-4D22-908F-7483045C4EBE.png

If you mean you add it to a reef tank, it is likely binding to the rock and sand. That is normal and expected, and make it take a while until you see left over phosphate.

Kevind0905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy. Looking for a product I can use to dose phosphate and found this on Amazon. Just wanted to see if it was Reef safe. Thanks.

Disodium Phosphate [Na2HPO4] 98+% Food Grade Powder 4 Oz in a Bottle USA

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean you add it to a reef tank, it is likely binding to the rock and sand. That is normal and expected, and make it take a while until you see left over phosphate.
Thanks randy, I finally got a phosphate reading after 200+ drops over a few days. I guess I just monitor it’s from here and add as necessary. I’m also dosing nitrates you about 5-10 times phosphate, which I’m measuring something about 0.03ppm. My nitrates are just about 2ppm.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy. Looking for a product I can use to dose phosphate and found this on Amazon. Just wanted to see if it was Reef safe. Thanks.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks randy, I finally got a phosphate reading after 200+ drops over a few days. I guess I just monitor it’s from here and add as necessary. I’m also dosing nitrates you about 5-10 times phosphate, which I’m measuring something about 0.03ppm. My nitrates are just about 2ppm.

IMO, 2-10 ppm nitrate is a good level for any aquarium. :)

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All three forms of sodium phosphate (Na3PO4, Na2HPO4 and NaH2PO4) are fine if adequately pure. Both of what you list are adequately pure.

The only differences are very minor adjustments to alkalinity. Na3PO4 will very slightly raise it. Na2HPO4 is about neutral, and NaH2PO4 will very slightly lower it. None of the effects are big enough to worry much about since doses are small.
Do you dose for phosphate, if so what do you use for dosing phosphate?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose for phosphate, if so what do you use for dosing phosphate?

I never needed to dose phosphate to maintain appropriate levels. I think any food grade sodium or potassium phosphate is fine.

Marc K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have chased up a source for sodium nitrate but it is very expensive to get lab grade
also requires an end user declaration here in Australia as it is classed as a drug precursor and therefore has tighter controls. I can get technical grade a lot cheaper and without the limitations but they state it isn’t food grade. Another option would be calcium nitrate. It is sold as plant fertiliser for aquariums and is a lot cheaper.

What are the risks associated with using a lower grade product.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have chased up a source for sodium nitrate but it is very expensive to get lab grade
also requires an end user declaration here in Australia as it is classed as a drug precursor and therefore has tighter controls. I can get technical grade a lot cheaper and without the limitations but they state it isn’t food grade. Another option would be calcium nitrate. It is sold as plant fertiliser for aquariums and is a lot cheaper.

What are the risks associated with using a lower grade product.

The risks are that you do not know what the risks are with impurities in a crude product. It may be identical to the better products, just not verified to be so, or it may actually be the material that fails the higher specification testing.

Folks use cheap grades OK, but it carries a risk.

The calcium nitrate for aquaria is likely OK. It is certainly Ok if adequately pure.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back