Dosing problems.

wkeliipuleole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing a few weeks ago (2 parts BRS) and my calc and alk changes aren't consistent. My calc drops about 20 a day, 420-400 while my alk sometimes drops from 10-9 and sometimes doesn't drop at all. This doesn't seem right. Everything looks healthy so it isn't a big concern for me but i'd like to know if this is normal. Maybe my alk is dropping really slow but i thought the drop should be equal. But I could be wrong.

Edit: I use reef master test kit.

Thank you for taking your time reading and responding.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that the reef master kit is API. It is rather coarse grained. It measures changes of DKH of 1 unit at best and that is not good enough. The calcium test is somewhat better.

Try the Red Sea pro test kit for ALK and Calcium or the Salifert kits. You can usually get within .2 DKH.

You might be getting precipitation of ALK and calcium Is your magnesium level high enough?

OP
OP
W

wkeliipuleole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that the reef master kit is API. It is rather coarse grained. It measures changes of DKH of 1 unit at best and that is not good enough. The calcium test is somewhat better.

Try the Red Sea pro test kit for ALK and Calcium or the Salifert kits. You can usually get within .2 DKH.

You might be getting precipitation of ALK and calcium Is your magnesium level high enough?

Okay. I am almost out anyways so I'll get red sea for alk. The mag test is coming in. I figured that might be it and since the app test doesnt have mag in it I had to order it.

OP
OP
W

wkeliipuleole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, not the highest resolution test. Your results could be simply from the margin of error.
How old is the tank? What type of corals and how many?

It's a 150 with a 30 sump. 11 months old. 11 sps frags that use calcium. All my other corals are softies. Mushrooms, zoas, xenia. That sort of thing.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back