Dosing question

Discussion in 'Aquaforest' started by diggler93, Oct 1, 2017.

1. diggler93

diggler93 Member

I currently running a ULN system and will begin using the AF product line shortly.
    I have the following AF Vitality, AF Amino Mix, AF Build, and AF energy. Going to start half dosing for 30 days so.

I plan on dosing 2 one night, 2 the next. Is there a preference two which two should be grouped together?

120g +55g sump, starting with 3 drops of each per dose every 2 days. In about 30 days will go up to 5 drops per dose every 2 days.

Thanks

jsker likes this.
    Tags:

2. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Af vitality with Af Amino mix. Af build with Af Energy.

All Aquaforest formulas are adopted to dispense 1 drop at 100L (27 US gal) of water. However, it should be remembered that each aquarium is different, depending of reef cast. By introducing new products to aquarium you should begin dispensing 1/2 (even 1/4) dose and observe how the corals respond. Then gradually increase the dosage to reach the target. Corals should be fed at night when they extend their polyps.

Are you using Af Pro Bio s and NP Pro?

jsker likes this.
  3. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

4. 120reefkeeper

5. diggler93

diggler93 Member

I'm currently using NoPox and a small amount of GFO to control my nutrients. Might switch to probes and NP-Pro in future.

Maybe I didn't explain my question. I'm not asking about dosing amounts, but which of the 4 products I listed are better to dose together? For example should I dose AF Amino and AF build together one evening, and the others the next? Is one combo better than the other, or doesn't it matter?

jsker likes this.
  6. 120reefkeeper

Af vitality with Af Amino mix.

Af build with Af Energy.

Aquaforest and jsker like this.
  7. 120reefkeeper

I sent you the links to each supplement because at the bottom of the description it tells you which products it suggests to dose together.

jsker likes this.
  8. diggler93

diggler93 Member

perfect, thank you very much.

jsker and 120reefkeeper like this.
  9. 120reefkeeper

Your very welcome.

jsker likes this.
  10. rob safron

rob safron Well-Known Member

I have a 120 gallon converting to mostly sps. Current parameters are pH 8.1, Alk 7.7, Ca 440, Mg 1400. My nitrates are less than 1, closer to undetectable most times. Phosphate is always 0 per Hanna. Besides the AF 3 part I am doing ABEV every other day, occasional reef Chile. I feed my tank heavy, 3 times a day including frozen, pellet and 2 sheets of nori per day. My corals are looking drab lately and have notice a bit of STN on a few. Not getting much growth at all. So my goal was an ULNS, should I add more additives or are most AF reefers not trying the ULNS?

jsker likes this.
  11. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I would say even though you are running ULNS you need a trace of phosphates and nitrates of 3 ppm The corals are starving, What frozen are you using. I would suggest LRF reef frenzy and some reef nutrition oyster feats to get you nutrient levels up a tad bit.

I do not run a low nutrient system and only AF Reef salt, 1+2+3+, mg+

12. 120reefkeeper

Totally agree with this. You need a little Phosphate and 2-5ppm nitrate. Oyster feast will help. Might want to cut back on the GFO if your using it.

Are you using Aquaforest pro Bio s and np Pro??

jsker likes this.
  13. rob safron

Currently using Vinegar for carbon source. I can cut down GFO use. I’ll look into the oyster feast.

14. 120reefkeeper

Make changes slow. One thing at a time. I'd start by throttling back the GFO a little .... feed some oyster feast.

If that's not enough slowly reduce your carbon dosing. Just a tad.

Reef Nutrition and jsker like this.
  15. rob safron

So is it best to slow flow through GFO or program it to run less(say on 1 hour off 3 hours) or on 1 day off 1 day???

jsker likes this.
  16. 120reefkeeper

Gfo should always have slow flow. It should kind of percolate. I would go one day on one day off.

jsker likes this.
  17. rob safron

Ok, since my last post I did get my phosphate up to .02-.03 via Hanna and Nitrate is running .5-1.0 via salifert. Maybe my sps are looking slightly better, more time will tell. Although my goal was always ULNS and struggling to accept less. Next issue, my 123 dosing has been right on and steady but notice this week Alk is down to 7.1 from 7.8, Ca is up to 475 from 430 and mg is ok at 1420. I have added some corals lately. Do I increase all 3 to get Alk back in the high 7’s or just add BRS plain solution to raise just Alk? I don’t like calcium that high but figure that’s not too bad.

18. 120reefkeeper

How long have you been dosing components 1,2,3?

19. rob safron

I would guess 10-12 weeks. Just finishing my 3rd set of jugs.

20. 120reefkeeper

Have you recently noticed your ph being lower??

What I would do is I would mix up just some Kh powder or use Kh plus in pure form. Dose just Alkalinity. Keep everything else the same.

Raise your Alkalinity back up to 7.8 dkh like you had it.

Do not increase dkh more than 1 dkh per 24 hour period. Several smaller doses is better.

Has your ph recently climbed higher than normal?