Dosing Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ in Fluval Evo

jmfc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, newbie here. I want to start dosing Red Sea Reef energy AB+ to my Fluval Evo 13.5. I do not have a protein skimmer or internal powerhead but I did upgrade the return pump to a sicce 1.0. The filtration I am using in order is filter floss, carbon bag and marinepure gems. Do I need to turn off the return pump prior to dosing this product or can I leave it on to circulate the water? I don't know if the filter floss or carbon would absorb the reef energy or not.

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redsea AB+ is basically a blend of amino acids. According to some reefers, yes it can take out some of the amino acids, however, according to this site (https://www.desotec.com/en/carbonol...no-acid-purification-through-activated-carbon) they use carbon to clean and purify amino acids. I plan on dosing red sea AB+ as well, and I run carbon all the time. What I might do is that i will turn off my return for like 10 minutes and then just turn it back on. Im sure many people dose amino acids with carbon in the tank without any issues. Also, your tank has very minimal filtration so be careful when dosing AB+, start with a quarter of the dose for a week to see how your tank reacts. You wouldn't want your nutrients to spike because of it. As for the filter floss, no i don't think it will affect your AB+.

Maybe someone who has actual scientific evidence can chime in.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ab+ in my Nuvo 20. I turn my returns off just so it can sit within the tank for awhile. I turn off for 10 mins which is the feed mode on my controller.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would invest in a cheap powerhead imo just to get wave motion as corals like that and it helps bring up detritus. I dont think its really a huge difference but you will prob need the filter on just to disperse it in the tank if there is no other powerehead/water movement

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much coral do you have? Are u doing regular w changes? Corals growing already before dosing? I would be concerned if your light on corals since u mentioned the tank is new they may not take up the ab enough and push up your nutrients causing other problems..

Johnb65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, newbie here. I want to start dosing Red Sea Reef energy AB+ to my Fluval Evo 13.5. I do not have a protein skimmer or internal powerhead but I did upgrade the return pump to a sicce 1.0. The filtration I am using in order is filter floss, carbon bag and marinepure gems. Do I need to turn off the return pump prior to dosing this product or can I leave it on to circulate the water? I don't know if the filter floss or carbon would absorb the reef energy or not.
I started a good few weeks ago dosing with AB+ also and my corals and tank have reacted so so well. My nitrates and phosphates have always been 0 which wasn’t a major issue as it’s new since Aug 21 and I’ve managed it so far.
I’ve got a few softies such as Kenya trees and GSP and noticed they were doing worse as I added more to the tank. Started dosing and my tank is looking cleaner and corals looking much better too. The issue I’m having is that the recommended dosing is 2ml per 50L and the Evo is 52L, I’m currently dosing 6ml now and 1ml of coralline gro and my nitrates and phosphates are still 0 ongoing. I think my tank is just consuming the food it as soon as they are in the tank.
Hopefully I can get my tank to a good level that I don’t need to dose so much because I’m already over feeding and putting in quite a lot to increase this. The tank looks ok so far but I’d like to add more and can’t until I know I’ve enough nutrients consistently to cope with the need.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a good few weeks ago dosing with AB+ also and my corals and tank have reacted so so well. My nitrates and phosphates have always been 0 which wasn’t a major issue as it’s new since Aug 21 and I’ve managed it so far.
I’ve got a few softies such as Kenya trees and GSP and noticed they were doing worse as I added more to the tank. Started dosing and my tank is looking cleaner and corals looking much better too. The issue I’m having is that the recommended dosing is 2ml per 50L and the Evo is 52L, I’m currently dosing 6ml now and 1ml of coralline gro and my nitrates and phosphates are still 0 ongoing. I think my tank is just consuming the food it as soon as they are in the tank.
Hopefully I can get my tank to a good level that I don’t need to dose so much because I’m already over feeding and putting in quite a lot to increase this. The tank looks ok so far but I’d like to add more and can’t until I know I’ve enough nutrients consistently to cope with the need.
If you really have zero NO3 and PO4, be very cautious dosing Amino Acids otherwise you may end up with Dinos.

Johnb65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really have zero NO3 and PO4, be very cautious dosing Amino Acids otherwise you may end up with Dinos.
I did have red cyano recently and since dosing is reducing and almost completely gone now so I’ll have a look out for dinos and look for other ways to increase my nutrients for corals. I’ve always had zero N03 and P04 and gone through a few ugly stages so hopefully I can manage it and keep dinos away too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back