Dosing reef tank (0 nitrates) with water from freshwater tank (200ppm nitrates)

ewanho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone doing this currently:

i have a reef tank that is pretty much zero for nitrates;
Also have a freshwater tank that apparently has 200 ppm nitrates.

was going to add some of the freshwater to the reef tank for a source of nitrates

OP
OP
E

ewanho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No plants, just cichlids and plecos. However just tested phosphate is at or above 3ppm in the freshwater tank.

in reef tank phosphate is about 0.04.

so will add a pipette full of freshwater every day to the reef tank and test phos and nitrates as an experiment.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your coral biomass high? Whats your fish load like? One suggestion is try feeding flake food and see what happens. VERY anecdotal but flake seems to funky the water more than pellets. Again, anecdotal.
Added: your phosphate is dead on target, seems tricky to elevate nitrate w/o affecting it.

OP
OP
E

ewanho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of zoas, a few favias;
Fish are only 2 clown fish that get garlic flakes.
I add hikari brine frozen cubes about three times a week.
Just Calculated thanfor every cup (250mL) of freshwater I would raise the phosphates by 0.02 and nitrates very little by 0.9;
Well lets see what happens

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite the same, but when my 75g reef tank was at 10-20, and the 30g had zero nitrates and a Dino problem, I used change water out of the 75 so I could vacuum and change water out of the 30. It helped a bit, but the 30g would consume the imported nitrates faster than I wanted to be doing water changes. Plus I got the 75g under control pretty quick.

I think using the water out of your freshwater tank as top off in your salt tank sounds like a good Source of natural nitrate. As long as you don’t have any significant problems in the FW tank, I would not worry much about transferring parasites since most nasties have a fairly limited range of specific gravity.

sagedrake690

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the nitrate buildup is because you dont have plants. Put some in there and bro....they will go ham. They eat up phosphates and stop or slow algae growth. They add food so you cut back on feeding and help add oxygen. If your power goes out it could mean the diff between dead fish and still thriving tank. They also add surface area for bacteria to nitrify waste into plant food. I havent fed my river betta tank since I set it up 7 months ago. Sometimes I drop 1/2 algae wafter for the pleco but it never gets eaten and just causes a small algae bloom that the pleco does eat lol.

OP
OP
E

ewanho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry you may have misunderstood; the freshwater nitrates i am not concerned about;
Its been running well for almost ten years.

just want to increase nitrates in my reef tank using the freshwater high nitrate water.

sagedrake690

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it should work in theory. Nitrates aren't that toxic unless they're in super high ammounts but Idk what that is lol.

I would guess if you had a large enough tank you could dose your own urine. I know that sounds insane but... Its nature. Its chemistry. It has plenty of beneficial nutrients for coral.

OP
OP
E

ewanho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol urine would kill the tank in a few hours; look at the structure of urea as it breaks down to ammonia; also the tam hostfwldt Uromodulin protein impacts the balance of soluble and insoluble components in the tank. And since each persons urine can be significantly different in composition, you would never get a routine consistent dosing actually;

OP
OP
E

ewanho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using the urine model, i would stock more fish rather than use human Urine. Since i take 14 different drugs each more, better to use urine closer to the source, so more fish

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back