Dosing Silicates....Where should I see diatoms?

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...If dosing for silicates to get a diatom bloom - to out compete dinos.......Where should you see the majority of the diatoms? I seem to have quite a few diatoms on the glass? But not a whole lot when I pull the 'gunk' from the sand or swaying brown strands.
First pic is a 'strand' that was flowing in the water. Just dinos.....no diatoms.
Second/third pic is a sample I took off the glass. Lots of diatoms...and green stuff - very few dinos.
Fourth pic is a sample from the sand - some diatoms....LOTS of dinos.

Also....Some of the green things were moving? Phytoplankton? Or something else?

5878.jpg
5879.jpg
5881.jpg
IMG_5884.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any pics? I’m suspecting dinoflagellates

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diatoms were mainly on the glass and sand, the glass would need cleaning 1 hour after I scraped it, none to speak of on the rocks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During my dino battle, i dosed 2 bottles of silicates over several months time... never saw a diatom bloom occur!

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a blackout, uv or dinox?
I have Prorocentrum dinos. Before I found out the variety, I did try a blackout and UV. Neither worked. Since Prorocentrum doesn't go into the water column at night, they didn't migrate to the UV. I even tried to turkey blast them so they would go....but alas....no luck. The blackout set them back a bit, but only temporarily. I haven't tried dinox. Since the directions call for the use of a skimmer - and I have a Biocube 32 - with no skimmer, I decided not to risk it.

I read through the sticky thread about dinos, and the people there say that dosing silicates is the way to go. I am upping the silicates day by day, and definitely had more diatoms on the glass tonight. But I'm wondering if that is enough? Or do I need to up the daily dose even more, so that they also reproduce on the sand - where most of my dinos are congregating. I'm also dosing phytoplankton and pods.....

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back